- Joined
- Jul 18, 2010
- Messages
- 4,282
- Reaction score
- 6,494
- Age
- 34
- Gender
- Female
- Country
-
Ever since I first saw Niizuma Eiji I've always wondered if he was autistic, or more specifically, had Asperger's.
Here's why I think he is:
1. He is a "genius". Most Asperger's excel in one area to a great degree, because they are able to focus intently on something, to the point of obsession. A classic example of a "genius" Asperger's would be Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft.
2. He has an obsession with manga. Most Asperger's will express some form of intense interest/obsession with something or another.
3. He hates crowds (and by extension public transport) and is socially awkward. Most Asperger's are rather awkward in social situations, because their brains are just wired such that it makes social interaction weird. They don't understand why people act the way they do, and don't know how they should respond. When they first met, Eiji didn't get it that Ashirogi saw him as a rival and was instead excited to meet them. Similarly Asperger's tend to be pretty oblivious to the feelings of others, nuance and such non-literal things.
4. He has a penchant for routine, like how he's always pictured wearing the same clothes - Asperger's often have a routine that they absolutely must stick to. Some of them practically go berserk if their routine is broken. They also tend to be obstinate about having things their way, like how Eiji insisted on serialising Crow instead of the other manga that was supposed to have been serialised.
5. He's always making sounds as he draws. This isn't exactly a hallmark of Asperger's, but many autistics make "weird" noises. I don't know if there's an official name but I know it as "stimming" (short for stimulating).
Yet, there are times when Eiji seems pretty normal (or less autistic, in any case), like when he's in his serious "mode" and makes intelligent/insightful comments.
I might just be over-thinking things because I have a brother who's autistic (lower on the spectrum so he's not a genius [or doesn't express his genius in a way "normal" people would consider as being "genius"] and is even "weirder" socially) so I automatically tend to associate any genius who is socially "weird" with having Asperger's.
Ultimately, I doubt Ohba-sensei will ever touch on this specifically, but I always thought it would be interesting if s/he did. So what do you think? Is Eiji just a normal genius, or is he autistic/Asperger's?
Here's why I think he is:
1. He is a "genius". Most Asperger's excel in one area to a great degree, because they are able to focus intently on something, to the point of obsession. A classic example of a "genius" Asperger's would be Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft.
2. He has an obsession with manga. Most Asperger's will express some form of intense interest/obsession with something or another.
3. He hates crowds (and by extension public transport) and is socially awkward. Most Asperger's are rather awkward in social situations, because their brains are just wired such that it makes social interaction weird. They don't understand why people act the way they do, and don't know how they should respond. When they first met, Eiji didn't get it that Ashirogi saw him as a rival and was instead excited to meet them. Similarly Asperger's tend to be pretty oblivious to the feelings of others, nuance and such non-literal things.
4. He has a penchant for routine, like how he's always pictured wearing the same clothes - Asperger's often have a routine that they absolutely must stick to. Some of them practically go berserk if their routine is broken. They also tend to be obstinate about having things their way, like how Eiji insisted on serialising Crow instead of the other manga that was supposed to have been serialised.
5. He's always making sounds as he draws. This isn't exactly a hallmark of Asperger's, but many autistics make "weird" noises. I don't know if there's an official name but I know it as "stimming" (short for stimulating).
Yet, there are times when Eiji seems pretty normal (or less autistic, in any case), like when he's in his serious "mode" and makes intelligent/insightful comments.
I might just be over-thinking things because I have a brother who's autistic (lower on the spectrum so he's not a genius [or doesn't express his genius in a way "normal" people would consider as being "genius"] and is even "weirder" socially) so I automatically tend to associate any genius who is socially "weird" with having Asperger's.
Ultimately, I doubt Ohba-sensei will ever touch on this specifically, but I always thought it would be interesting if s/he did. So what do you think? Is Eiji just a normal genius, or is he autistic/Asperger's?