Done Japanese Cuisine, anyone?

purupuru

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
There's a panel in the first chapter of Amagoi which is really troubling me.

So far I can only make out
- アスパラのお浸し(asparagus salad)
- 花茗荷 (flower ginger)
- 空豆豆腐 (broad bean curd)
- 車海老 (prawn)
- 抹茶 (green tea)

Can somebody help? XD
==============================
Solved. Thanks, everyone! :D
 
Last edited:

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Most of these items are unique to Japanese cuisine and are not translatable. I googled some in English and I got some recipes where transliterated Japanese terms are used. So I'd say transliterate most of them, rather than translate.

I'm getting this for the first bubble: Broad bean tofu dressed with hana-myoga shirazu* and Japanese tiger shrimp kuzu-tataki with asparagus on the side

I couldn't find anything in English for shirazu, but its Japanese description tells me it's a dressing for vegetables made with grated sesame seeds, vinegar, sugar, tofu and somehow added to dashi stock.
 

purupuru

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
Thanks, cmertb!
Yes, I think I'm gonna transliterate anything that I can't found in English and put a separate note for them later.

By the way, I'm getting this for the last one: for the dessert, warabimochi and powdered green tea to accompany kiyomi orange sorbet.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
To me, the food was prepared for early summer. The Hachiku bamboo is usually good around May&June, so I don't know why they toss that in when Hamo (eel) is common in July-Aug.

Here is my translation

Asparagus salad;
Hanamyoga (Myoga ginger flower buds) dressed with creamy white sesame vinegar
Soramame Dofu* (Broad bean curd) with Kurumaebi (Prawn) coated with Kudzu starch.

Yuba (bean curd skin) Sashimi, Hamo (Pike eel) and Kamo Melon in plum flavored potato starch sauce;
Grilled Hachiku bamboo and Japanese Kuroge beef with Hachiku bamboo;
Cooked rice with Shinshoga (young fresh ginger) prepared in a special rice pot

Dessert is Matcha (powdered green tea) flavored Warabi-mochi (bracken-starch dumpling cake) and Kiyomi Orange Sorbet.
 
Last edited:

purupuru

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
Thanks, mikkih!
Glad to have an expert of Japanese cuisine here :)
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Here are a few comments on my translation. 

The food may be served in Kyoto or is in Kyoto-style.

葛叩き (Kuzutataki) is a type of cooking, so you may want to keep it as is. The dish is often served in a bowl, so it may not be in the box in the manga.

餡かけ (ankake) - I translated potato starch sauce, but you can probably just say thick starchy sauce. Instead of using corn starch like in the US, they generally use potato starch to thicken the sauce in Japan. If Kudzu starch is used, then the dish is called 葛きり (kuzukiri).

わらびもち warabi-mochi - If you think dumpling cake is redundant in my translation, you can say bracken-starch sweet dumpling or just bracken-starch dumpling.

湯葉のお造り (Yuba no otsukuri) - お造り is Kyoto dialect for 刺身 (sashimi). Standard Japanese word is 湯葉刺 (Yuba-sashi).
 
Last edited:
Top