Done [JP] Hard time reading informal Japanese...

Tokonatsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hello again!

Sadly, I got stuck again not even two pages after the page I asked for help on last time! *siiiigh*

Here's what the guy says:

俺はいつもでもそこのはいない。

だから、

自分で考えて行動しろ
って言ってるんだ。

全然わかってねえ

そうしたら俺は、

アッシュから
奪った物を全部返しても

俺でいられる気がするんだ。


Which I've roughly translated to:

I'm always there but not.
So,
I told you to "think and act this way"
but you know better, huh.
Because I,
even if everything was stolen from me
(..........and then I'm totally lost on the last line >.<)

Basically, the character (Asch) has always been angry and bossy towards the other character (Luke) for sort of stealing his birthright and, as he sees it, the life that should have been his. But after accidentally hearing about how Luke actually didn't want that and how he sees Asch as a role model etc., Asch discovers that he kind of respects Luke and can forgive him for the past...

Here are the pages, if that makes things easier!
previous page
confusing page

Thank you again for taking the time to read all that, sorry it got so long!
Any help would be very much appreciated!!! :D


Just kidding, I think I figured it out XD
 
Last edited:

Boon0175

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 24, 2010
Messages
18
Reaction score
12
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Hard time reading informal Japanese...

Hello
I hope my post will help.

俺は/いつまでも/そこには/いない。
I will not stay there(or here) for all time.
≠(my free translation) I will leave here sooner or later.

だから、/自分で/考えて/行動しろ/って言ってるんだ。
So, I told you to "think and act on your own".
≠So, I tell you that you should think and act on your own.

全然/わかってねえ。=お前は(you)/全然(at all)/理解して(understand)/いない(do not).
(But) You don't understand at all.
≠But, you don't understand anything.

そうしたら/俺は、
If so (*or* If you do so=If you think and act on your own),
アッシュから/奪った/ものを/全部返しても(=返したとしても)
even if I hand back all things which I 've stolen from Ash to him,
(俺は)俺でいられる/気がするんだ。
I feel like that I will be able to being myself.
≠If you can act independently,
I will be able to being myself even if I hand back all stuffs stolen from Ash to him.


I think that the last sentences are very difficult to parse.
Paraphrase below will be (a bit) easier than the original.
お前が/そのようにすれば、
俺は/俺で/いられる/気がする。
たとえ、/(俺が)/アッシュから/奪った/全部の/ものを/(俺が)/(彼に)/返したとしても。


Thank you.
 

Tokonatsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Hard time reading informal Japanese...

Wow, thank you so much for your help! I really like how you worded the last lines, too! ^_^
 
Top