Done [JP] Help for a few things - Japanese

Commusen

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Denmark
Hello, thanks for coming by ^^

I'm currently trying out as a translation first-timer, and I've stumbled across a few things I'm not entirely sure about.

Here goes:

1) *ハナはふまれたあと.
This is in the background of frame where a girl has been rescued, you see a close up of her face and her saviours, and she has just opened her eyes. There are, of course, flowers in the background.
I translated it to something like 'I can see flowers behind her' though I think the more literal translation would be 'experiencing flowers'.

2) 彼が盗んだ宝をこの学園に隠しているらしい.....ってんでやって来たのさ! / かれがぬすんだたからをこのがくえんにかくしているらしい.....ってんでやってきたのさ!
I'm uncertain about the last part of the sentence, after the dots.
“It looks like his stolen treasures are hidden at this school… Because they turned up!" - Is what I currently have it translated as, but it needs tweaking at the very least. I'm considering changing 'because' to just ''cause'.

3) Is there somewhere to go for sound effects? I've run into a bunch of odd ones that I can't seem to find anywhere else. Like どょんど. It could be どよんど, but the yo is just so small compared to the others. It would make sense if it's some kind of depressed/bad atmosphere.

Sorry if it's a bit much, help is very appreciated! ^^

Edit: Solved
 
Last edited:

mote

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
139
Reaction score
114
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Help for a few things - Japanese

I'll try and help you a bit if you still need it.

1) *ハナはふまれたあと.
This is in the background of frame where a girl has been rescued, you see a close up of her face and her saviours, and she has just opened her eyes. There are, of course, flowers in the background.
I translated it to something like 'I can see flowers behind her' though I think the more literal translation would be 'experiencing flowers'.
踏む usually means "to walk/step on." But I'm still not sure what the line means..."After stepping on the flowers"?

Someone better than me might know :tem

2) 彼が盗んだ宝をこの学園に隠しているらしい.....ってんでやって来たのさ! / かれがぬすんだたからをこのがくえんにかくしているらしい.....ってんでやってきたのさ!
I'm uncertain about the last part of the sentence, after the dots.
“It looks like his stolen treasures are hidden at this school… Because they turned up!" - Is what I currently have it translated as, but it needs tweaking at the very least. I'm considering changing 'because' to just ''cause'.
I feel like やってきた is referring to the thief showing up, not the treasures.

If this makes sense:
[X ってんで Y] = [X ということなので Y] = [Because X, Y]

So it's more like: "It seems he's hiding the treasures he stole at this school...that must be why he came here!"

3) Is there somewhere to go for sound effects? I've run into a bunch of odd ones that I can't seem to find anywhere else. Like どょんど. It could be どよんど, but the yo is just so small compared to the others. It would make sense if it's some kind of depressed/bad atmosphere.
You're right about どよん. And here is a good site for finding sfx. Enjoy ;)
 

Commusen

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Denmark
Re: Help for a few things - Japanese

Thank you for taking your time to respond!

1) Hmm, but fumu as in stepping on just doesn't fit in this picture. Here's the picture, and the page it was from. It's the small note by the girl.


But you're not the only one who suggested it, so I'm guessing this isn't a common phrase. (Small edit: They're also nowhere near a flowerbed, she's found in an old, dusty, abandoned warehouse)

2) Yes x.x I felt so stupid when it was suggested that maybe it was the thief. Of course it is! Thank you so much, it makes sense now. Now it's just a question about which thief. The one who hid the treasures, or the one that is explaining it, and currently looking for the treasures. I'm leaning towards the latter. That because it's said that his treasures are hidden there, the younger thief came.

3) Thank you so much for the link! I've considered buying a book with sound effects and sound words, but since I just started translating, I thought maybe it was a bit early.

Your help is very appreciated! ^^
 
Last edited:

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Help for a few things - Japanese

Has her nose been stepped on or injured anyway? What about his? "Hana" also means "nose", you see.
 

Commusen

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Denmark
Re: Help for a few things - Japanese

*Facepalm*

... Yes, it has. She was lying on the ground, tied up, with her face down, and he stepped on her head. Thank you for that. I knew 'hana' also means nose, but I never even considered it because of all the flowers on the page.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Help for a few things - Japanese

RE: Solved
Sorry, it's a little late to respond

彼が盗んだ宝をこの学園に隠しているらしい.....ってんでやって来たのさ!

I heard that he might be hiding the treasures that he had stolen somewhere in this academy, so here I am!


 
Top