Done [JP] Help with what might possibly be a Japanese proverb?

Kaibutsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
私服もアリのゆる~い学校は好きだけど、うるさくってアホな男子・成沢真だけは苦手……

What I could make out: "____ likes school, however, ____ stupid guy. Narusawa Shin really is detestable."

Sorry if I seem daft, but I can't seem to make any sense from this sentence. No results from the dictionary for the bolded words...

It's taken out of this blurb (the whole thing below):

高校に入って2か月ちょっとの瀬尾小春。私服もアリのゆる~い学校は好きだけど、うるさくってアホな男子・成沢真だけは苦手……。そんな男子とまさかの××!?
Seo Koharu has been in high school for little more than two months. -------- Could such men really be!?

Thanks!

--

Edit: New one below

> そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当たるか‼︎
> It’s like the trivial happiness and a bit of excitement you feel when you hit a drum!!

Is this right? Because it makes completely no sense to me and just thought it might just be a Japanese proverb instead (or maybe not. I'm new to translating and so far I suck at it).


And just a couple of translation checks if that's okay...

> どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。
> What kind of person after all could be denied to this extent?

> もう いいんじゃねーかな
> Isn’t it enough?

> おまえに本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを小一時間かけて説明してやろうか!
> Should I explain what a real lolicon does or are you're so scared of can do in that short time?!


---
 
Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: [JP] Help needed for a sentence?

私服 = casual clothes/non-uniform
ゆるい = lax
So she is saying she likes lax schools that let you wear your own clothes to classes.

うるさくって is from うるさい (noisy, boisterous, persistent, annoying).
By the way, 苦手 is more like "hard to deal with" (not good at, weak at.)
So she is saying the annoying and stupid Narusawa is hard to deal with.

Hope this helps :)
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
`) そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当た

The last part is cut off. バチなんか当たらない or something.  
(Literal: You won't get punished for ... ---> You shouldn't feel bad about ...)

バチが当たる: 罰が当たる

2) どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。

どんな人間だって: anybody would ...
あんなに否定されたら <---Translate this part first.

そうな The end may be cut off. Example そうなっても仕方ない

3) > もう いいんじゃねーかな
> Isn’t it enough? <----fine


4) > おまえに本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを小一時間かけて説明してやろうか!

> Should I explain what a real lolicon does or are you're so scared of can do in that short time?!

Basic structure:
おまえに【~を】説明してやろうか 
Object・~を: 本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを
 

Kaibutsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Thanks! Just checking though - sentences cutting off simply indicate a reference to the context, right?
 

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Generally yes. In Japanese, it is quite common to stop a sentence midway through when you don't have to say it. For example, 飲酒運転しますと... is something like an attempt to warn somebody that roughly means "If you drink and drive... (bad things will happen)". In Japanese, omission is generally polite.

2. どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。
どんな人間だって: anybody would ...
あんなに否定されたら: If they were denied like that
そうな: They/It would be that way, wouldn't they?

I think this one is more like "If they were turned down like that, anybody would be that way (right?)"
This seems like someone trying to stand up for a friend who's being gossiped about... For example, if your friend was so scared he wet his pants, you would say this sentence with the implication that, "If that was you, you'd do it too". そうな is either そうな(物/事...), or, being at the end of a sentence, そう+な(masculine ね).

4. おまえに本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを小一時間かけて説明してやろうか!
Mikkih's translation got a little bit garbled (I think she skipped a word or two accidentally), so here:
お前に...説明してやろうか: to you... Do you want me to explain!?
本当のロリコンの恐ろしさ: how terrifying a real lolicon is?
"Should I spend an hour explaining to you how terrifying a real lolicon is!?

に is used when you can't use を or が. For example, おまえを説明しましょうか! is the absurd "Should (I) explain you (to someone else)!?". In these cases, you can't use を to say who you're doing something to. Instead, you say おまえに説明しましょうか! "Should (I) explain (this) to you!?"
Every time I used parenthesis, I was marking an omission.

This often happens when using some of the verb forms:
- Passive/~られる: The apple was eaten 「りんごが食べられた」 or The apple was eaten (by me) 「りんごが私に食べられた」
- Potential/できる: That can be done 「それができる」or That can be done (by me) 「それが私にできる」
Overall, just keep an eye out for when に is being used to mark another participant in doing/receiving the action. This happens when you can't use が or を for grammatical reasons.

EDIT: I inserted the に explanation because it seemed like useful information for Kaibutsu, who seems to be a budding translator. You gave an excellent explanation Mikkih. I was filling in the blank between "scared of can do", which appeared an innocent mistake. I really do respect and trust you as a translator Mikkih, and seeing such an innocent mistake, I meant to cover for you :)
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
mikki said:
4) > おまえに本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを小一時間かけて説明してやろうか!
> Should I explain what a real lolicon does or are you're so scared of can do in that short time?!

Basic structure:
おまえに【~を】説明してやろうか 
Object・~を: 本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを
It seems that Aarowaim might have read my post in a way that I did not mean to present.

It is not "おまえに(を)."

おまえに【~を】説明してやろうか
Object・~を: 本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを 

What I meant was:

おまえに<Indirect Object>/ 【~を】<Direct Object> / 説明してやろうか <Verb>
is the basic structure, where 【~を】direct object being 本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを.

小一時間かけて (taking a less than an hour) is not part of the basic structure of the sentence.

---------- Post added October 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was October 15, 2013 at 08:17 PM ----------

EDIT: I inserted the に explanation because it seemed like useful information for Kaibutsu, who seems to be a budding translator. You gave an excellent explanation Mikkih. I was filling in the blank between "scared of can do", which appeared an innocent mistake. I really do respect and trust you as a translator Mikkih, and seeing such an innocent mistake, I meant to cover for you :)
Hi, Aarowaim

I think I see where you are coming from :XD lol
"scared of can do" is not my translation but Kaibutsu's. You can see > mark as well in her original post. I didn't translate the sentence in my post. I only explain the sentence structure to help her translate by herself. :)
 
Last edited:

Kaibutsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Sorry for the last-minute addition, but I've got a question about どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。
I think you both described it as a friend who's comforting another person, but in this context it's the other way round? It's the person who's being negative (and sad) that's saying this. I'll post the two pages so that there's more context:


---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Oh, and you were right, そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当た was cut off because I forgot to type in the るか at the end, so it's really > そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当たるか‼︎

Um again, the context here:

This line is said by the friend. Then she adds 詰の規模が小さすぎていやんなるべさ!! afterwards (which I translated to "I'm talking about something on a much smaller scale though!")

So I was just wondering if バチ was a reference to a bee (since it's small) instead? And instead of 罰が当たる it's just 当たる
So... そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当たるか‼︎
Would be: It's like that somewhat slight triumph you get when you (manage to) squash a bee!!
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Sorry for the last-minute addition, but I've got a question about どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。
I think you both described it as a friend who's comforting another person, but in this context it's the other way round? It's the person who's being negative (and sad) that's saying this.
Regardless of the speaker (Tsutsui/guy or Ezomichi/girl)) , translation would not change much.
For example: When you/a person get denied that much, anybody would be ... (be...=そうな...)
or just skip be part.

So I was just wondering if バチ was a reference to a bee (since it's small) instead? And instead of 罰が当たる it's just 当たる
So... そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当たるか‼︎ Would be: It's like that somewhat slight triumph you get when you (manage to) squash a bee!!
No, it is not a bee.

罰が当たる:reference link was posted before. (It's a set phrase.)

バチ=バツ

I assume you are thinking of ハチ (蜂) bee. It's a wrong kanji character for this.

Also, voiceless &quot;hachi&quot; becomes voiced &quot;bachi&quot; in a compound noun such as ミツバチ (bumble bees), but it doesn't get voiced by itself.

When you get a chance, check the difference between 当てる(transitive verb) and 当たる (intransitive verb)。 Transitive verb requires an object. In &quot;I hit a ball&quot; sentence structure, hit=当てる(transitive verb). Your sentence: you squash a bee! would require a transitive verb likewise.

Translation: ... したからってバチなんか当たるか!!! Nothing bad going to happen just because ...



This line is said by the friend. Then she adds 詰の規模が小さすぎていやんなるべさ!! afterwards (which I translated to &quot;I'm talking about something on a much smaller scale though!&quot;)
詰 ---> 話(はなし)

話の規模が小さすぎていやんなるべさ!!
=話の規模が小さすぎて、嫌(いや)になる!!
 
Last edited:
Top