I have a confession to make about KageBunshin training. I don't think it makes any sense.
This has been bugging me for years. I never mentioned it because with Sasuke always getting power-ups that were, if not free, gotten a huge Uchiha discount. Typically those shortcuts to strength were just excused with the 3 magic words of "he's a genius" (That's not how being a genius works, by the way
). Anyway, since it balanced things out I just chose to ignore the concepts behind Kagebunshin training.
But the fact that, in all the arguments skirting this general topic, I've never seen anybody mention this is starting to bother me. So here we go...
Think about this for a moment. Assuming you train with 1000 of yourself and then combine the experience, it wouldn't have significant effect on the outcome of the training because all 1000 of you would be starting at the same point of experience and ending at the same point. So basically Naruto ends up learning the same thing for the first time, 1000 times. He's not getting 1000x the experience because the experience isn't shared until the bunshin is released. Making the repetitions... completely pointless.
If you have 1000 of yourself learn the same thing 3 times independently of one another and then rejoin. How many repetitions worth of experience do you actually have? The answer, unfortunately, is 3.
Imagine reading a book. Now imagine assigning 1000 of yourself to read that same book. You don't read that book any faster because you have to start at beginning and go to the end or the book won't make sense.
The only real application of that sort of training would be to train 1000 different things at the same time. That WOULD make sense. As it wouldn't be like 1000 of him reading one book, it would be like 1000 of him reading a 1000 different books.
----------------------------------------------------------
So, am I missing something here? Does this thing actually make perfect sense and I'm just too dim to understand it's brilliance? Or is Kagebunshin training, as I've secretly always suspected, a massive load of nonsensical crap?
This has been bugging me for years. I never mentioned it because with Sasuke always getting power-ups that were, if not free, gotten a huge Uchiha discount. Typically those shortcuts to strength were just excused with the 3 magic words of "he's a genius" (That's not how being a genius works, by the way
). Anyway, since it balanced things out I just chose to ignore the concepts behind Kagebunshin training. But the fact that, in all the arguments skirting this general topic, I've never seen anybody mention this is starting to bother me. So here we go...
Why Kagebunshin Training Never Made Sense to Me.
Think about this for a moment. Assuming you train with 1000 of yourself and then combine the experience, it wouldn't have significant effect on the outcome of the training because all 1000 of you would be starting at the same point of experience and ending at the same point. So basically Naruto ends up learning the same thing for the first time, 1000 times. He's not getting 1000x the experience because the experience isn't shared until the bunshin is released. Making the repetitions... completely pointless.

If you have 1000 of yourself learn the same thing 3 times independently of one another and then rejoin. How many repetitions worth of experience do you actually have? The answer, unfortunately, is 3.
Imagine reading a book. Now imagine assigning 1000 of yourself to read that same book. You don't read that book any faster because you have to start at beginning and go to the end or the book won't make sense.
The only real application of that sort of training would be to train 1000 different things at the same time. That WOULD make sense. As it wouldn't be like 1000 of him reading one book, it would be like 1000 of him reading a 1000 different books.
----------------------------------------------------------
So, am I missing something here? Does this thing actually make perfect sense and I'm just too dim to understand it's brilliance? Or is Kagebunshin training, as I've secretly always suspected, a massive load of nonsensical crap?
Last edited: