Katakuri main arc villain? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Katakuri main arc villain?

WILDCARD 1 7

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Big Mom has been kinda hit or miss with me this hole arc and the feedback o've been seen around with this whole arc has been mixed . So I was woundering if this arc would have been better if Big Mom wasn't in it (like off trying to get too Elbaf or whatever) and she had Katakuri over see the wedding in her place?

Deleted member 169696

Big Mom has been kinda hit or miss with me this hole arc and the feedback o've been seen around with this whole arc has been mixed . So I was woundering if this arc would have been better if Big Mom wasn't in it (like off trying to get too Elbaf or whatever) and she had Katakuri over see the wedding in her place?
I kinda agree, but without her there would probably be no other good explanation as to why Sanji has to cook the cake and showcase his prowess as a chef. Also the Vinsmokes and a bunch of other people like the underground mafia or whatever you call 'em, why would they be there, right?

But for the sake of speculation I would say yes, as an arc's main villain I'd rather have someone like Katakuri.

Reactions: kcd

kcd

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
The main arc's villain is BM, chapter 900 made it a bit clear. For there to be real peace and freedom in Totto land, Bigmom is the one that needs to be taken down (not katakuri). Katakuri is Bigmom's underling and just happens to be the last guy luffy will fight this arc.

McNuss

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Katakuri isn't even a villain. Antagonist yes, but he isn't evil. Many of the Big Mom Pirates actually aren't.

Tonix

Reaction score
Country
United States
I kinda agree, but without her there would probably be no other good explanation as to why Sanji has to cook the cake and showcase his prowess as a chef. Also the Vinsmokes and a bunch of other people like the underground mafia or whatever you call 'em, why would they be there, right?
Oda could have simply had the Big Mom Pirates kidnap Sanji because they heard he was a good cook, the Vinsmokes and the underground mafia could have shown up for some sort of taste testing festival/party, or to try and steal/copy Big Mom's Road Ponyglyph.

I can think of plenty of plausible explanations for the people in this arc to be in Totoland, but I can't think of a reason for Big Mom to be somewhere else. It would be kind of silly (and probably piss off a lot of fans) if the arc about invading a Yonkou's territory didn't have the Yonkou in the territory.

Deleted member 182576

big mom is the "real villain" this arc and it was made clear again in chapter 900. katakuri was a fantastic opponent for luffy and great as a character. but hell, big mom IMO is so scary. i guess we didnt see much yet because she was in a tantrum pracitcally the whole second half of the arc. but now she's gain concious again and she will showcase (again) whats it like to be a yonko. i mean she's even scary when she's asleep and in tantrum. she's totally insane and mentally ill. i liked this arc very much and i HOPE that chapter 900 was "real" and that the strawhats can't get off a yonkos territory without a significant loss or dmg (besides pedro rip). i want oda to show us that luffy and co. needs to be more careful and think more about their actions. for me they think that this is all "fun" and stuff but it's actually some dangerous shit! pls oda. :-)

Reactions: kcd

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Katakuri is the Lucci of this arc. He (and Lucci) were never intended to be the main villains of the arcs. They are just well-rounded, level-headed walls for Luffy to climb to become strong enough to protect his crew and accomplish his goals. BM is the villain of WCI (I mean, she orchestrated the wedding. Despite how we see her now she is not an idiot as she seems to be portrayed). Similar to how the WG was the enemy in Enies Lobby. Lucci was definitely the biggest obstacle (just like Katakuri was close to being the biggest obstacle, maybe other than BM, in this arc) but not the main figurehead.