Society - Korea and Middle East! How does the world view them? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Society Korea and Middle East! How does the world view them?

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a very uninformed US resident (not citizent =( ) !
I taking American Gov right now and I got to do some current events which informed me about the possible conflicts in both Korea and Iran. The media here in the United States is very bias, and since this is a very serious issues which very much could influenced me. So I just want to know, how other countries view about how much should the United States involved into Middle East and Korea issues, plus what are the current news about the topic.

I only realized two days ago, that while I am reading Naruto or One Piece, some one died over in Iraq. The situation is so real and yet unrealistic to me. And then there are the possible fact that I may joined the army after high school. And if I die in war before One Piece series over. I know that I cannot Rest in Peace.

Thanx!

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Basically, if they do something they're damned and if they don't, they're damned.

If the U.S. does something, everyone's gonna be like, "Stupid US interfering in other countries again."
If the U.S. does nothing and they get nukes, everyone's gonna be like, "Where were you idiots when you could've done something?"

People right now are trying to screw George over for going into Iraq because it's turned into such a bad situation. The main reason I don't like the Iraq operation is because George lied about the weapons. If he'd said, "We're going into Iraq because Saddam is destroying his country, killing his people, defying international laws, and is an overall maniac that needs to be stopped", I'd have really supported him. But George isn't the sharpest pencil in the box.

So, like I said before, U.S. needs to play an active part in world affairs but they need a new leader who can convince the world that the U.S. is doing the right thing; if it's another George, God help America.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Replied to abu_89
just currios, and from what country view points are your opinion?

And I know that the United States is a Hyperpower country which is better than Superpower country (according to wikipedia). So many people thought of the US as a guardian of democracy or have responsibility over world peace and such. But others felt United States should let regional power to deal with those problems.

So anybody from Asia? Can you inform me on what is the current news on dealing with Korea?

Thanx a bunch

abu_89

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Canadian :). If you want the counterpoint to American involvement in North Korea, ask someone from China. They're the closest thing North Korea has to an ally.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
ha aha ha lol
My RTE teacher is from Canada and his first name is Guy C. (Mighty Guy)
Is China really Korea's ally? They are so busy about the Olympic and things.
Oh yeah, my native country is Vietnam.

rainymemori

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
I am from Asia. In fact, I'm half Chinese and half korean. (Right now I attend school in the U.S.) The way most of the other parts of the world views korea is like "OMGOSH KOREA IS A LIKE A COUNTRY FOR FRICKIN NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!! EWWWW" because of the news and such. I believe that they only think in this type of logic because they only get to see the devastating parts, not the everday parts. children in korea and the middle east go to school. Parents drop off their kids, they work and they hug their children when they return. Some people get the image that the whole country is a disaster (ex:Iraq) but it's not. It's not the majority but the minority that the rest of the world sees. And that misleads people.

I don't think North Korea is actually a threat to world peace. The people who are announcing that they will test their bombs and such are probably just doing this to get attention for their country. (Again, it's the minority, not the majority)

Think about it, we don't really hear about North Korea in world news and neither do we really learn about it in schools (in countries other than korea), so this all threat thing is probably just a cry for attention. (It's like how a child does stupid things just to get attention from his classmates and parents. it's quite a childish mentality)

Besies, Japan is already closing off all businesses with north korea and other asian countries have already taken actions. North Korea can't afford to lose business with all these countries. It could hurt their economics greatly, and it wasn't that good to began with.

America..well, America is slowly becoming hubristic, in my opinion. Lolz, you guys may disagree with me on that one.

To me, America is becoming hubristic. American citizens are told that we were in war because we want to help people in Iraq and give them a better life. But if you look at it closely, America seems to be saying "Democrazy is the best working government there is. Everybody will be happy with democrazy. If there is a country without democrazy, then that country is not happy." Did America start the war in Iraq because we think that we're so good that we can change another country's government? Or did we go there only to help out but it just happened that we made a mess? I don't know anymore.

I do think that democrazy is cool, because everyone gets a say, but it's not necessarily the best form of government for everybody. It may be for most, but not all.

^_^ ....politics is confusing. My opinions are not intelligent or something of that sort, so if someone disagrees on anything, it's cool with me.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Replied to rainymemori,

I'm from Vietnam before coming to America, and, boys, did I laugh about people critisized how vietnam poor and no freedom and such, it not true as far as my knowledge. So I believe you about not all parts all Middle Eastern and Korea was bad. They should have good things about them.

But you were wrong about the nuclear testing thing. It on the news and television. And my class (included teacher) were discuss about it. So some part about the nuclear testing, should be truth.

No, your oppion are not stupid, nothing that spoken from heart is stupid so don't afraid to speak up.

Thanks very much for your comments. Now, I know how Korean American viewpoint on this matter. Thanx again!!! =)

abu_89

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
eh... minority in power in North Korea; sorta makes you wonder how that's possible when living in a democracy...

While I agree that economic sanctions won't really help the situation in North Korea, it's the only other thing, save war, which can force N Korea to stop acting up. The minority might have been the ones to blow up nukes in the country but its that same minority that's in power. It was the same in Iraq. Saddam and his minority group had control and were harassing the rest of the country. I'm glad to know that he's going to die / is dead.
It's not North Korea that's a threat to the world but its government. That's why people believe democracy is the best form of government. It's for the greater good; best for the majority.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
wow, Sadam is dead? when?

abu_89

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
eh... he's been sentenced to death last I heard... not likely that'll be overturned.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
last?
last night?
yesterday?
I heard he trial again.

abu_89

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Saddam's appealing the decision for sure but i doubt anybody will let him off the death penalty. There's enough proof of his crimes and those crimes are heinous enough to make him receive the death penalty many times over.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, u are absolutely right, but when you said he is gonna die (I thought you said he is dead so I like totally uninformed). The second trial is waste of time and money. But he gotto live a few more days, I guess.

*~Styx~*

Reaction score
Country
France
In France there is a certain concern about Korea... We believe that South one is a good place to live whereas North one isn't. If you're worried to must to come in North Korea, I personnaly don't think you'll have to. Because if there have to be a war, It will be nuclear, and not military, I guess. Moreover there is Iran, which USA mentionned several times to come in...
Middle-East... French thinks (for the most part) that it's not better and perhaps even worst since America came in Afghanistan and Irak.
So many people thought of the US as a guardian of democracy
Well, I don't want to be insulting (anyway, even if they don't wanna french always seem insulting and ironic to the rest of the world XD) , but to us you're not at all :tem Especially since your last election ; where you havn't been able to make a correct vote system because of these hackable computer which with American voted. (And because of GeorgeBush too <_< French really, really can't see him)
But well it's not interesting, we're only a small part of world...
I do think that democrazy is cool, because everyone gets a say, but it's not necessarily the best form of government for everybody
I think you're right, but only up to a certain point ; It's just that, if you want to rebuild a country, you have to make good bases for the upcoming country; to not let it become a totalitarian regime. And democracy is (without a doubt) the best base.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, here is an interesting view.

*~Styx~* said:
Middle-East... French thinks (for the most part) that it's not better and perhaps even worst since America came in Afghanistan and Irak.
I didn't know the world view it that way. Thanx for the opinion. The media over here in US is very bias about the situation too, mostly they said it not going too well over in the Middle East. But to certain Americans, we already won the war, and is now rebuilding the country.

Wow update!!!

Bush went to Vietnam (my home country) to get his Asian Alliances against North Korea, He met with leader of Russia, China, Japan, Vietnam, and South Korea, and he planned to go to other country also.

*~Styx~*

Reaction score
Country
France
O_O There is smalls fights almost everyday, Middle-East urban-people (because rural people aren't informed at all) have a big ressentment against America and the situation is not at all under control ; Anyway it's not because you would have won that the problem is resolved and everyone's happy <_< A war is always horrible and always generate more and more problems. 2nd World War is the sole exception because on a certain way, everyone lost.
Reassure me, you Americans, know that Bush came in Afghanistan with the principal purpose to build a pipeline for oil ? See here and here

Bush went to Vietnam (my home country) to get his Asian Alliances against North Korea, He met with leader of Russia, China, Japan, Vietnam, and South Korea, and he planned to go to other country also.
It's not good at all... <_< as If we need a nuclear war... Bush is as fool as the korean leader :S It really afraid me :darn

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
*~Styx~* said:
O_O There is smalls fights almost everyday, Middle-East urban-people (because rural people aren't informed at all) have a big ressentment against America and the situation is not at all under control ; Anyway it's not because you would have won that the problem is resolved and everyone's happy <_< A war is always horrible and always generate more and more problems. 2nd World War is the sole exception because on a certain way, everyone lost.
Reassure me, you Americans, know that Bush came in Afghanistan with the principal purpose to build a pipeline for oil ? See here and here

It's not good at all... <_< as If we need a nuclear war... Bush is as fool as the korean leader :S It really afraid me :darn
Well, this is just an opinion thread, in America some believe this way and some believe the other way (so not all American, since Americans are very diverse).

2ndly, war is always horrible, but change usually come with violence (either for better or worst)

3rd, Are those website reliable (or they just bias). I believe oil is a part of the reason why there is a war on Irag and maybe even Afghanistan but oil is not 100% the reason. And if it is, OH MY GOSH, PEOPLE SURE ARE SELFISH- killing other just for money. (I hope, really hoping that oil is not 100% the reason why people are dying over there, I truly hopeso)

4th, the Asian know better. Vietnam always have been distrust the West. But I don't even know what side am i on.

enzomars

Reaction score
Hmmm how i view North Korea and Middle East?

Well i've never been there(i wonder why?) but , you wanted the opinion i built up reading newspapers, books
and television.

First of all, i like freedom. I like to think what i want ,discuss about anything i want ,and critisize sometimes when i think smthing is wrong (but i'm also open minded).
I don't like when any religion put its nose into government matters ( any religion ).

From what i've read, i wont be able to do that in that part of the world.

Sure someone said that people there do stuff just like in other countries (school job etc ...)
Better read " Orwell's : Year 1984 ".
Can they question the decision their leaders made? Do they even know what their leaders are doing? Can they punish their leaders for mystakes? Do they even have access to information and not propaganda?

I think that listening to propaganda about how great our leader is since birth, doesn't help it at all. I think that there's a lot of brainwashed people there , who think that what they see is the most they can get. But there's more to life than being affraid to go to jail because i don't like the chief or because i like to watch US movies or to kiss my GF in public.

Freedom of choice that's what i like, be it bad or good choice.
Now, how many people got a passport in NKrea? Now if that's not prison!

I don't like people to tell me how to live my life so i won't tell them to live in a different way if
they don't feel like it :-) Oh wait those who feel like it are already tortured in jail or got decapitated
in public in a full stadium (for wearing shorts in public).

Ask for the threat they represent to other nations, hhhmmm the major thing
i'm worried about is that, if they got nuclear techs, they can easily sell it to criminal organisations.
Ask for war, Western Civilisations once dragged into a corner won't talk chirurgical war again so ME n NK in the end don't stand a chance.

I forgot, the way women are treated.

That's what i think after an analize of what can be true and false in the press ( yeah i know there's a lot of bullshit too , but what i mentioned is what i believe to be true)

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
hmmmm....
so basicly freedom = good (LOL)

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
My teacher once gave me a theory about US's involvement in Middle East and why US doesn't really push North Korea as much as it pushes Iraq.

Why US is willing to invade Iraq even though they "knew" and "claimed" that Iraq had WMD?
Well, my teacher's theory was that US knew Iraq never had WMD. That's why they were brave and bold enough to attack Iraq. Let's put it this way, if US knew that Iraq had WMD, would they just go and attack Iraq? No. It would have been a stupid act because WMD is destructive. It was because Iraq DID NOT have WMD that US went to invade Iraq. That's my teacher's theory and I feel pretty much the same way too.

On to the next question, why don't US attack North Korea then?
The answer is pretty simple, that's because US knew about Kim Jong Il's nuclear weapon. Thus, they won't simply go and invade North Korea under the banner of "World Peace" or other manifesto that they like to use. The truth is out there. Kim Jong Il boldly tells the world that he owns nuclear weapon and thus, US is not doing anything so far. Again, I sense some logic in my teacher's theory. XD

Now, if you argue about that theories, let me bring you back to era of Cold War. I've just read them in my US History book so I could still remember some of them. Well you see, they never fought. They only raced. When Yuri Gagarin went to the space, NASA was formed not long after. The Soviet and the US raced for superiority, but they never went to war. Why? It was because each side fear each side for their nuclear. Yes, nuclear. If I were the President of US right now, I stiill won't attack The Soviet even though I knew that I had 100 nuclear bomb with me and The Soviet only had 10 nuclear bombs. I would be stupid enough to make that rush decision because it would end up in a lose-lose situation. US is not stupid enough to get itself into a lose-lose situation, hence the no-war tension. History itself had already revealed the true answer to US's invasion in Iraq and its refusal to invade North Korea for the same reason.

As for my stand in this issue, I will play NAM. That's Non Aligned Movement. It's a lost battle anyway. No matter how hard US will fight (if they go to war), they will not win. Even if they win, they had lose their own people's lives. One way or another, it's a lost case. I think that US should just keep to its own territory and not try to do something "noble" to this world. Let the people of North Korea deal with President Kim. If the people really want him down, he would have been toppled one way or another, just like Thaksin in Thailand. It's not about can or cannot, it's about want or don't want. ;)

Yeah, I need to rant out more.....world crisis is killing me.......