Last person to Post Wins - MissingNo.

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 8, 2016
Messages
3,111
Reaction score
12,877
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
Joker
Yeah I did. And sure, it's not like Pings aren't capable of being as annoying as anything anyone could write in chat, hence them adding ping muting not too long ago.



They do. The thing Knightmare linked to is years old and was from a moron who no longer works at Riot. It's supposedly in the pipeline now since the new client was released. When it'll happen, who knows, but at least the "voice chat is toxic" excuse isn't being uttered by anyone employed by them anymore. When Lyte first said this, I sort of thought to myself that the "toxicity" that could potentially arise from voice chat is no different than someone buying a cosmetic and being told by someone else to refund it when they play bad ( as "lol so bad, refund your skin" is a rather common thing to hear). So skins are "toxic" as well, I guess they shouldn't exist either?


In the end, this Lyte guy was a pedantic cancer for the game and had next to nothing to do with the Tech side of things anyway. Someone higher up just told him to come up with this excuse since a large portion at Riot were brainwashed by his anti-toxicity crusade at the time. The reality is, voice chat wouldn't have been possible until they ditched the old client anyways.

Some people are optimistic about people not being willing to vocalize abusive behavior as much as writing it, but who cares. In the end, the mute button will exists on all fronts and the game will be 99% the same. I don't even use the feature with randoms in Overwatch, so I have no idea why anyone be vehemently against it being added when there'd be no requirement to use it.
They stated that right from the beginning "No voice chat is happening in this game" I don't think Riot are brainwashed or anything of that it simply won't work in this game, You have to deal with 4 of different cultures and language for 20-60 minutes. Muting them won't help because now they won't communicate with chat or pings, and if you have problems with your mic or it's setting then it would create another problem.

Playing with Vs is fun with your friends only.
 

Knight of Stalwart Heart

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2013
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
1,332
Country
Akatsuki
Yeah I did. And sure, it's not like Pings aren't capable of being as annoying as anything anyone could write in chat, hence them adding ping muting not too long ago.
Yeah it does have the potential to be used to annoy someone.But saying you just got to live with clicking on the mute button or typing :"/mute x" or "/mute all" every single game or just have to grow thicker skin isn't really a good solution either though.I guess people would always keep raging and things will always be the way they are now and we just gotta deal with it *shrugs*
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Maybe you should travel all around the world and change people.Be the man of prophecy who brings peace to this troubled planet xi0 :kappa
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
They stated that right from the beginning "No voice chat is happening in this game" I don't think Riot are brainwashed or anything of that it simply won't work in this game, You have to deal with 4 of different cultures and language for 20-60 minutes. Muting them won't help because now they won't communicate with chat or pings, and if you have problems with your mic or it's setting then it would create another problem.

Playing with Vs is fun with your friends only.

http://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/2017/03/ask-riot-movie-voice-item-sets/

And this from a month or so ago


There's no reason to believe it won't be happening. They were against it because they couldn't do it. They weren't given the resources for whatever reason. Whether you want to say they were against it philosophically or not, that's no longer the case. The only person who was vocal about it was Lyte, a person involved in player behavior who know longer works there.

How is a problem with your mic any different from a problem with your mouse/keyboard or your connection? Riot isn't responsible for your hardware functioning properly.

And if the multiple language thing is such a problem, why does Steam have voice chat in all of their games? I've never hear anyone complain about this kind of thing on the European Overwatch server either.

There's no doubt that being with premades is more fun. But this isn't necessarily about the "fun" of it, it's about it's usefulness. I just think there isn't much debate there.

Yeah it does have the potential to be used to annoy someone.But saying you just got to live with clicking on the mute button or typing :"/mute x" or "/mute all" every single game or just have to grow thicker skin isn't really a good solution either though.I guess people would always keep raging and things will always be the way they are now and we just gotta deal with it *shrugs*
But saying it shouldn't exist is a good solution too? I mean, it's definitely the easier answer, no doubt about that. That's why they still don't have it despite it being the most successful game today (which is a joke IMO).

An opt-out option that they're talking about doesn't seem like it'd require muting all of the time. They no doubt see how OW handles voice and I think it's a good start (having separate premade and team lobbies you can opt-into or out by default). It'd also be something they'd want feedback on in any case.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I understand where you're coming from, but I think Riot's obsession with controlling how people behave online was a fool's errand in the first place, especially in a F2P game. Aside from egregious situations, nothing in chat should effect the nature of the game, likewise in voice. The thing I have a much larger problem with is griefers. That's 100x more damaging than flaming or getting your feelings hurt. You can mute a moron in game, but you can't mute someone intentionally feeding or counter-jungling your own jungler.
 

Knight of Stalwart Heart

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2013
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
1,332
Country
Akatsuki
But saying it shouldn't exist is a good solution too? I mean, it's definitely the easier answer, no doubt about that. That's why they still don't have it despite it being the most successful game today.

An opt-out option that they're talking about doesn't seem like it'd require muting all of the time. They no doubt see how OW handles voice and I think it's a good start (having separate premade and team lobbies you can opt-into or out by default). It'd also be something they'd want feedback on in any case.
Ofcourse not but it's perhaps the only solution to it,albeit half assed,other than teaching people to be nice and making them understand that the one behind other computers is someone who could feel uncomfortable by your comments in-game.

Well,that kind of voice chat system is good.But if you are only gonna voice comm. with friends then you could just use discord or something,though an in-built voice chat could be more convenient.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Ofcourse not but it's perhaps the only solution to it,albeit half assed,other than teaching people to be nice and making them understand that the one behind other computers is someone who could feel uncomfortable by your comments in-game.

Well,that kind of voice chat system is good.But if you are only gonna voice comm. with friends then you could just use discord or something,though an in-built voice chat could be more convenient.
Don't see how LoL has to be different than any other MMO game in that regard. And I think the effect it has on the game is overstated (probably in both directions).

But yeah, in any case, it existing for the sake of convenience is kind of the crux of the argument really. I'm personally not terribly interested in voice chatting with anyone I don't know, but if others can benefit from it, no problems with me.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
They actually do that? :lmao

Tina told me how her experience was for the most part pretty good. Which actually shocked me because I wouldn't have expected her to use Team chat at all.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,664
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Played a ton of competitive, only 1 time I had some weird russian people arguing among each other via voice and being annoying. We lost of course, still it's only 1 game every 50 or so, so isn't a big deal whatsoever.
 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,692
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
They actually do that? :lmao

Tina told me how her experience was for the most part pretty good. Which actually shocked me because I wouldn't have expected her to use Team chat at all.
How was it for her?

I've had those at least twice and I didn't play many comp matches. I imagine that in Americas it gets worse xD

Altho I do believe some toxic kiddos wouldn't be shouting about their genitals with their mommy at home, so who knows, maybe I'm unlucky.
 

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 8, 2016
Messages
3,111
Reaction score
12,877
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
Joker

http://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/2017/03/ask-riot-movie-voice-item-sets/

And this from a month or so ago


There's no reason to believe it won't be happening. They were against it because they couldn't do it. They weren't given the resources for whatever reason. Whether you want to say they were against it philosophically or not, that's no longer the case. The only person who was vocal about it was Lyte, a person involved in player behavior who know longer works there.

How is a problem with your mic any different from a problem with your mouse/keyboard or your connection? Riot isn't responsible for your hardware functioning properly.

And if the multiple language thing is such a problem, why does Steam have voice chat in all of their games? I've never hear anyone complain about this kind of thing on the European Overwatch server either.

There's no doubt that being with premades is more fun. But this isn't necessarily about the "fun" of it, it's about it's usefulness. I just think there isn't much debate there.


But saying it shouldn't exist is a good solution too? I mean, it's definitely the easier answer, no doubt about that. That's why they still don't have it despite it being the most successful game today (which is a joke IMO).
It would cause many problems for ppl who have problems with their pings like me, Whenever i use skype or team speak my ping goes crazy it would be really annoying especially if everyone is using VC and ignoring pings and chat. I think many many many ppl like me suffers the same

Long ago they had with communication at sea cuz of multi national crew, Speaking with different languages with VHF or any device between ships caused many accidents hence they made English a must now for an easier communication. "LOL" is a larger scale than ships in sea, Millions are playing this game hence more losing strikes will ensue. Can RIOT force everyone to speak English in servers that covers many cultures and languages? It's impossible, plus many ppl's English would be hard to understand. I find it hard to understand Americans when they speak regardless, They destroyed English by eating words. Maybe i can type in English because it's much easier than speaking. It would awkward for me to speak it and many having the same problem.

It can work if they create private and public room for VC at the same game and isn't a must for ppl like me cuz of pings. This way premades can speak with their languages without anyone complaining about English and it won't destroy essence of the normal chat and pings.

Maybe it's the most successful because their philosophy is actually working better than other games.

I don't take it as a debate more like a discussion.
 

Totinona

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
886
Reaction score
8,968
Country
Fun Forum
Tina told me how her experience was for the most part pretty good. Which actually shocked me because I wouldn't have expected her to use Team chat at all.
I only join team chat tho, not actually talk. :XD The other day someone was playing music in team chat in arcade. Was fun. Once I had someone on my team with a soundboard(?) or something who played "hi i'm jeff from the overwatch team" and such over and over. :XD
 

Vici

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
3,413
Reaction score
16,901
Gender
Female
Country
Pyke
Once I had someone on my team with a soundboard(?) or something who played "hi i'm jeff from the overwatch team" and such over and over. :XD
That's happened to me as well but the guy was watching some guide while playing.

" So you want to get better at Overwatch that's why you watching this Video " :XD
 

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
11,919
Reaction score
10,372
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
remind me when i was playing LoL with my classmates with a voice software. We would mostly yell irrelevant stuff like "did you see that" or curse at each other whole game and had one buddy who would always sing. One day someone told him "Celine dion shut up" since that day we call him Celine dion to piss him off :XD
 

Lawl Po Bia

The OMO King
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
11,479
Reaction score
14,406
Country
Japan
remind me when i was playing LoL with my classmates with a voice software. We would mostly yell irrelevant stuff like "did you see that" or curse at each other whole game and had one buddy who would always sing. One day someone told him "Celine dion shut up" since that day we call him Celine dion to piss him off :XD
lmao
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It would cause many problems for ppl who have problems with their pings like me, Whenever i use skype or team speak my ping goes crazy it would be really annoying especially if everyone is using VC and ignoring pings and chat. I think many many many ppl like me suffers the same

Long ago they had with communication at sea cuz of multi national crew, Speaking with different languages with VHF or any device between ships caused many accidents hence they made English a must now for an easier communication. "LOL" is a larger scale than ships in sea, Millions are playing this game hence more losing strikes will ensue. Can RIOT force everyone to speak English in servers that covers many cultures and languages? It's impossible, plus many ppl's English would be hard to understand. I find it hard to understand Americans when they speak regardless, They destroyed English by eating words. Maybe i can type in English because it's much easier than speaking. It would awkward for me to speak it and many having the same problem.

It can work if they create private and public room for VC at the same game and isn't a must for ppl like me cuz of pings. This way premades can speak with their languages without anyone complaining about English and it won't destroy essence of the normal chat and pings.

Maybe it's the most successful because their philosophy is actually working better than other games.

I don't take it as a debate more like a discussion.
It would integrated, so the effect it would have on latency isn't necessarily known. It would likely have a dynamic bitrate for this very reason. And I mean, this is just like the hardware discussion, earlier. You elect to play with bad ping on your own (even I do it to EUW).

But an MMO isn't on par with maritime navigation, no? If it's awkward for you to speak it, no one would be forced to. If someone wants to be a dick about that, oh well. Does the game really need help in finding reasons for people to be that way?

Given all the potential negatives, I still think it'd be worth it to have. Just think how some more aurally-focused players wouldn't notice a missing enemy or time an engage too early/late because they weren't focused on chat or the minimap. If it had the potential to help coordination even a little bit, any negative from it would be worth it IMO.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I only join team chat tho, not actually talk. :XD The other day someone was playing music in team chat in arcade. Was fun. Once I had someone on my team with a soundboard(?) or something who played "hi i'm jeff from the overwatch team" and such over and over. :XD
I mean, you not talking is sort of a given at this point. :p

Lol, reminds me of the type of nonsense you'd see in CS.
 

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 8, 2016
Messages
3,111
Reaction score
12,877
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
Joker
It would integrated, so the effect it would have on latency isn't necessarily known. It would likely have a dynamic bitrate for this very reason. And I mean, this is just like the hardware discussion, earlier. You elect to play with bad ping on your own (even I do it to EUW).

But an MMO isn't on par with maritime navigation, no? If it's awkward for you to speak it, no one would be forced to. If someone wants to be a dick about that, oh well. Does the game really need help in finding reasons for people to be that way?

Given all the potential negatives, I still think it'd be worth it to have. Just think how some more aurally-focused players wouldn't notice a missing enemy or time an engage too early/late because they weren't focused on chat or the minimap. If it had the potential to help coordination even a little bit, any negative from it would be worth it IMO.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I mean, you not talking is sort of a given at this point. :p

Lol, reminds me of the type of nonsense you'd see in CS.
As long as it's not impacting my ping i'm fine with it however it shouldn't replace the normal chat. VS should be just there for anyone who wants to use it.
 

liductan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
854
Reaction score
3,074
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Dayummmn!
This place died....lol
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Not to mention, it's the Fourth of July here so they're probably going out to have picnics and whatnot.
 
Top