News Licensing Announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
VIZ's line up is amazing! I've already bought KimiTodo and Black Bird, I'll get Tegami Bachi as soon as it's out. What a Wonderful World is what I'm really looking forward to, volume 2 still hasn't been scanlated. Inio is one of my favorite mangaka. Dogs and Ooku are great series, not sure I'd pay for the tankobon though.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm still on the fence if I should buy Dogs or not. I always buy in bulk and I'm not sure what to buy with my Ikigami vol. 2 and 20th century boys. I still need to pick up Pluto but that can always wait. I think I will buy Tegami now since the second volume won't be out until March. I wish Bakuman and Toriko was already out.

I really enjoyed Children of the Sea, at least all the chapters that were on One Manga.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
When it doubt I always buy the unscanlated series. Since Dogs is translated every month, 20th Century Boys and Pluto are complete, I'd go with Ikigami. At some point I'll start buying it too. BTW: Children of the Sea volume 1 is not to be missed. VIZ's release of volume 1 and volume 2 has yet to be scanlated. I'm really looking forward to more IKKI series coming over. I really want Dorohedoro!
 

Horsee

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
102
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Last edited:

busb0y

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
One question.

I love the manga Yotsuba&! and I'm planning on buying the volumes, slowly but surely. ADV licensed it but then canceled, now I see YenPress licensed it again and will release in September. Is it worth waiting for YenPress?

Looking at the covers... I definitely like how ADV did it.

ADV's, YenPress'
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Don't buy the old ADV versions. Yen is a much better company, I expect some sort of improvement, even if it's only the paper and print quality. Since Yen will be handling volume six and above you'd be able to keep the early volumes uniform with the newer ones.
 

busb0y

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Hmmmm I see... somebody needs to tell YenPress to tidy up those covers because they look bad.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Kodansha has allowed their North American and German licensing agreement with Tokyopop to expire, meaning they will no longer be allowed to continue any incomplete series or continue printing previously released volumes. The status of Tokyopop issued titles such as Samurai Deeper Kyo, Love Hina, Chobits, and GTO remains unknown. Dark Horse has also de - listed their Kodansha titles, Akira and Ghost in the Shell.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Nothing pisses me off more than a company dropping a series/letting there licensing run out of a series I'm buying. That's why I'm glad I never bought any Samurai Deeper Kyo lol

Is there any word on Viz planning on releasing the Dogs volume Stray Dogs Howling in the Dark? Its the one that comes before the first actual volume.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The Stray Dogs volume was released as Volume 0 last spring, it's available.

Samurai Deeper and Rave will be completed by Del Ray, in omnibus form from what I understand. Dark Horse picked up the old CLAMP series; Clover is already out, omnibus versions of Magic Knight, Cardcaptor, will follow. At some point expect Del Ray or Kodansha U.S. to reissue the other older series.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Well that's good news for people who buy the series getting moved except they will cost a few extra dollars. And thanks for the info on Stray Dogs.
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm not sure it's the economy so much as Kodansha hasn't licensed new series to Tokyopop in five years. They've been working exclusively with Del Ray in the U.S. and Canada since. They also launched Kodansha U.S. around this time last year, though nothing has come of it. I think they want to move their older series there or to their current business partners.

Tokyopop has reorganized, working closely with Kadokawa Shoten and resuming their relationship with Hakusensha. Like Yen Press, which mostly works with Square/Enix, they've been doing much better focusing on titles by the medium size publishers.


Chi's Sweet Home has been licensed by Vertical Publishing. Volume 1 has a June 2010 release date on Amazon U.S. and Canada.
 
Last edited:

sabret00the

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
1,736
Reaction score
216
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Why do us Brit's always get caught up in this American mess?
 

Horsee

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
102
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Yen Press (2010 - 1st half):

January 2010
Black Butler - Yana Toboso
Laon - Hyun You and YoungBin Kim
One Fine Day - Sirial

March 2010
Bunny Drop - Yumi Unita

April 2010
Spice and Wolf - Isuna Hasekura and Keito Koume

May 2010
KOBATO. - CLAMP
Dragon Girl - Toru Fujieda
My Girlfriend’s a Geek - PENTABU and Rize Shinba
Sasameke - Ryuji Gotsubo

June 2010
Omamori Himari - Milan Matra
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
First of the announcements from New York Anime Festival:

Vertical Inc.

Futatsu no Spica
Peepo Choo
70 Oku no Hari
Chi's Sweet Home (officially confirmed)

Tokyopop

.hack//Link ~Kōkon no Kishidan~
Priest: Purgatory (original story tie in to the upcoming American movie adaption)
Boku ga Utau to Kimi wa Warau Kara
Ratman
Seikon no Quasar

Del Ray

Koko ni Iru yo!
Rave Master
Arisa
Youkai Navi Runa


VIZ

Gente ~ Ristorante no Hitobito
Library Wars: Love and War
Ningyou Kyuutei Gakudan
Kami - Sama Hajimemashita
Vampire Knight: Official Handbook
 
Last edited:

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Yes, I was waiting for Library Wars, finally, 'bout damn time.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm a bit underwhelmed by VIZ and Del Ray's announcements. Where is Neuro, where is Liar Game? What about Bloody Monday? To many big properties left on the table.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top