Done Line from Get Backers (spoiler maybe?)

mote

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
139
Reaction score
114
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This forum's cool. Wish I knew about it before! Anyway, I'm working on a translation for Get Backers, and I wasn't too sure about this line.

The context is a guy (Shido) talking to his friend Kazuki. One of Kazuki's teammates revealed himself to be a traitor and kidnapped the rest of Kazuki's team.

祭蔵が裏切ったんだって?
So Saizou betrayed you, eh?

あいつ昔っからどこか解らねェところがある奴だったからな
We never did know what that guy's deal was

Is that correct? "tokoro" kinda confuses me.
 

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
989
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
IMO, it seems OK, though the more accurate one should be "There's always something mysterious about him" or more literally "Some part of him always remained unknown to us ever since the past. That's what he's always like." ところ here should mean something like "point" as in some part of the person's personality, like in this case, it would make it to be something like "some point we don't understand (about him)."

I don't know if that help though...since IMO, I think your sentence still seems a bit alright to me, but the problem is, I don't actually understand the English sentence, so it seems fine to me. Don't know what other think though. Just putting in my two cents. .__."
 

mote

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
139
Reaction score
114
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Thanks! That's a big help.

IMO, I think your sentence still seems a bit alright to me, but the problem is, I don't actually understand the English sentence, so it seems fine to me.
Heh. I suppose it's pretty colloquial. "We never did know what his deal was" implies something like "We never knew what his situation was, and it seemed strange." So yeah, it fits with what you're saying.

Maybe I'll touch up the trans a bit and make it clearer, though.
 

redcap

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
> 祭蔵が裏切ったんだって?
Nuance: you could also write that as "So you say <that> Saizou betrayed you?"

> あいつ昔っからどこか解らねェところがある奴だったからな
Since a while back there's been parts of him we didn't know about.


My 2 yen.
 
Top