Predictions - Lola's Machination (Speculation) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Predictions Lola's Machination (Speculation)

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

Lola's Scheme

The question is, why would Lola advice the SHs to make Big Mom's acquaintance? In order to explore the motive, we need to understand who Big Mom is, and if it's such a good idea to interact with her.

Who is Big Mom? we can find out who she is by understanding her dream; the ambition is to create a world where all races can come together to eat, and drink, and more so at eye level (literally). As pleasant a painting Big Mom's dream seems, the paint brush is unfortunately dipped in the ink of madness and despotism.

She's not quite happy with the family she has, but desires a family tailor-made to suit her, therefore, they must be giants and she's on a mission to make this dream come true; we're slowly beginning to peek into what is surely...madness.

In advance, she organises parties, but, do they even want to attend this party? Doesn't look like they do, so they do attend; It's pleases her that they accept the invitations, but it's done out of fear, not love.

Both guests and family are in essence, hostages in an enactment of the perfect family that she so desires. Freedom revolves around herself, therefore, your freedom is her own freedom which is contrary to what freedom is; we see that she's the embodiment of grotesque solipsism (no pun intended) and absolute self-satisfaction.

Run-away Lola

According to Purin, we find out that Big Mom arranges her children's marriages in order to strengthen her crew. Her family are inherently bargaining chips. We find out based on this that Lola actually ran away from home as opposed to vacating carelessly.

No one runs away when there's nothing to run from, and it's deducible that Big Mom's tyrannical and overbearing nature led to Lola's longing to escape. It however begs the question, why did Lola send the SHs to this devil of a woman.

Lola's Observations

We're introduced to Lola at Thriller-bark which is run by Moriah. He was defeated by Luffy; his defeat so shocking because he's an individual who matched Kaido.

Why bring Moriah up? His ability in relation to Luffy is somewhat mitigated; Big Mom's ability seems to require fear to work. This is alluded to by M'ondor advising Moscato to remain calm, composed, fearless perhaps?.

Luffy is a completely fearless character; it's just in his nature to exude such disposition. We've see how this fearlessness, or strength of spirit has fared against some abstractly powered Devil fruit abilities. Moriah and Boa Hancock's power have been victim to his character, their power was somewhat mitigated due to his strong spirit.

Lola also recognised Luffy's willpower was great due to the number of shadows taken in...

They themselves, were only capable of taking 2-3 shadows, and estimated he'd only be able to take 20-30. He exceeded their estimation by absorbing 3x over.

Lola's Plan

We know she's acknowledged the strength of Luffy's spirit or at least, sees the potential in it. Big Mom's ability possibly will have a reduced potency against Luffy being that its efficacy is dependent on the target's fear..

Being that Moriah was defeated by Luffy which is a huge achievement, perhaps, she feels Luffy could cause another upset.

Bonus information: Just to add, Caesar was even working with Joker few years before the Marineford war. Big Mom was funding Caesar before he was under Joker which would tie in with the timing of Lola's captivity.

Based on all that's current known and bare in mind that Purin calls Lola her "dear" sister which suggest they were close, this may suggest that Lola wants Purin and her siblings to be free, so they can make their own decisions and live freely.

Like the image above, it says "we're counting on you, NIGHTMARE LUFFY", there's another NIGHTMARE, and it goes by the name...

GEAR 4TH

Last edited:

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria

Everything seems to be going as surmised. Lola giving away that Vivre-card is just too valuable a tool to give to a potential enemy being as she knows Luffy aims to be Pirate King and holds him in high esteem after he defeated Moriah who was said to have taken on Kaido.

She most likely even used the Vivre-card to escape, or else, she'd most likely have been caught. It does seem her intention is for her mother's defeat as she's a despot who has taken away their freedom and liberty.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Latest chapter seems to be consistent and gives more credence to Lola simply spiting her by sending the SHs there with a Vivre-card. More so, we know Big Mom is simply selfish and lacks love.

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Well I don't exactly agree with your theory because I don't think Lola can even develop such a plan but you do have some points

However, I just want to add something: Moria was in no way a match for Kaido, someone who gets raped and loses the entirety of his crew to another pirate is by no means a match

That's like Krieg is a match for Mihawk just because he attacked them and yet we all know that they were about to be slaughtered by Mihawk. Or Squardo being a match to Roger etc

Shobu_Yoruichi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Yep, surely Lola just thinks that by getting a broom, she would be allowed to return unscathed to Totland. Besides, if she really would have the mind to think such scheme, then her zombie's attitude would've been different. She only wanted to marry someone bolded enough to fight repression. And possibly show her her preferences above Lin Lin's of a good broom.

So... about how she got the Vivre card, then it points to somebody giving it to her and saying that Big Mom waits her for a good candidate or something like that.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
However, I just want to add something: Moria was in no way a match for Kaido, someone who gets raped and loses the entirety of his crew to another pirate is by no means a match.

That's like Krieg is a match for Mihawk just because he attacked them and yet we all know that they were about to be slaughtered by Mihawk. Or Squardo being a match to Roger etc

It is said he matched Kaido in the Manga. Devil fruits make relatively weak people strong or more troublesome. With the size of Moriah's Island Ship, he had a lot of comrades, so it's no surprise he could have put up a fight especially with his ability.

If Krieg had a powerful ability, though he may not be strong, using an ability proficiently can make up for physical weakness.

Cracker if met with a punch early on in his encounter with Luffy would probably have been defeated. However, his ability was masterfully used and we see how troublesome an opponent he became.

There's a reason Shiki didn't get easily defeated fighting both Garp and Sengoku at the same time. It doesn't mean he was stronger than they were, but when someone has an ability that can change the dynamics of a fight, the method of fighting is no-longer linear.

Yep, surely Lola just thinks that by getting a broom, she would be allowed to return unscathed to Totland. Besides, if she really would have the mind to think such scheme, then her zombie's attitude would've been different. She only wanted to marry someone bolded enough to fight repression. And possibly show her her preferences above Lin Lin's of a good broom.

So... about how she got the Vivre card, then it points to somebody giving it to her and saying that Big Mom waits her for a good candidate or something like that.

I don't think that's the point, getting a groom wouldn't change anything, she defied her mother's wishes. Big Mom doesn't care about marriages, she cares only about political marriages that help her cause. Even if Lola married, Big Mom would still despise her.

It's more likely she stole it (except they all have one), and we know the're prohibited from using it. For her to have escaped would have required the Vivre-card because the Homies can't attack anyone flashing it.

We go back to Lola and Pudding, and Pudding tells us they all knew to give up choosing their spouses, so Lola was well aware of what she was doing. End of the day, we know she didn't just walk away or waltz out of Totland, she ran away and it's quite apparent why.

In fact, we're also told she rebelled which means she was against the marriage. It would be like Pudding refusing to marry Sanji, she'd surely know the implications.

Last edited:

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
It is said he matched Kaido in the Manga. Devil fruits make relatively weak people strong or more troublesome. With the size of Moriah's Island Ship, he had a lot of comrades, so it's no surprise he could have put up a fight especially with his ability.

If Krieg had a powerful ability, though he may not be strong, using an ability proficiently can make up for physical weakness.

Cracker if met with a punch early on in his encounter with Luffy would probably have been defeated. However, his ability was masterfully used and we see how troublesome an opponent he became.

There's a reason Shiki didn't get easily defeated fighting both Garp and Sengoku at the same time. It doesn't mean he was stronger than they were, but when someone has an ability that can change the dynamics of a fight, the method of fighting is no-longer linear.

You're omitting the fact that his entire crew got slaughtered, and that Moria was fucked in his head because of that incident... What a random ass pirate says does not matter, Moria himself seems to have lost badly against Kaido which is why his grudge runs deeper

Look at his expression when he talks to Luffy regarding the NW, that's not the expression of someone who fought and matched against Kaido, that's the expression of someone who got rekt badly

His grudge is similar to that of Crocodile/WB and Squardo/Roger

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
You're omitting the fact that his entire crew got slaughtered, and that Moria was fucked in his head because of that incident... What a random ass pirate says does not matter, Moria himself seems to have lost badly against Kaido which is why his grudge runs deeper

Look at his expression when he talks to Luffy regarding the NW, that's not the expression of someone who fought and matched against Kaido, that's the expression of someone who got rekt badly

His grudge is similar to that of Crocodile/WB and Squardo/Roger
Not omitting, it's clear he got defeated.

Nonetheless, the fact he got that far and the fact the Manga says he matched Kaido makes it a fact whether we want to accept it or not.

Even opponents who get defeated by equals can be traumatised and still hold grudges. Shanks holds a grudge against Blackbeard, but I doubt you still will accept Blackbeard as being equally as powerful as Shanks at the least.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Latest chapter seems to be consistent and gives more credence to Lola simply spiting her by sending the SHs there with a Vivre-card. More so, we know Big Mom is simply selfish and lacks love.
I think that's possible, or that Lola is kinda dumb. She seems unintentionally ignorant or silly at times. Like wasn't she always looking for a husband, but denied this guy? My gut feel is that she's just a ditz. Or maybe I'm just not giving her much credit.

Nonetheless, the fact he got that far and the fact the Manga says he matched Kaido makes it a fact whether we want to accept it or not.
This is just some crew mates right? It's like word of mouth, Moria's legend could be inflated here easily.

But I also don't think it's such a big deal if Moria matched Kaido. I didn't see their fight, so I don't know if it's possible or not for Moria to hold his own.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I think that's possible, or that Lola is kinda dumb. She seems unintentionally ignorant or silly at times. Like wasn't she always looking for a husband, but denied this guy? My gut feel is that she's just a ditz. Or maybe I'm just not giving her much credit.

This is just some crew mates right? It's like word of mouth, Moria's legend could be inflated here easily.

But I also don't think it's such a big deal if Moria matched Kaido. I didn't see their fight, so I don't know if it's possible or not for Moria to hold his own.
I did struggle with that initially.

When we were first told Lola's mother was a Great Pirate, I had ALWAYS said it couldn't be Big Mom because it couldn't make sense to me how someone like that could be of aid to the SHs given her nature. It's not until we were told that she really was Big Mom's daughter that I finally capitulated.

However, there were still things questionable such as giving that Vivre card given how powerful it is. It's like giving someone the keys to your house, a gun and a cloak of invincibility. More so, to someone who wants to become Pirate King? She surely knows her mother is against all those who are trying to achieve the same goal as she is. More so witnessing Luffy and his character, she should know full well he's not the type to subordinate himself to anyone. The fact she even had Luffy take in those shadows (a plan she devised) shows she's quite intelligent too in my opinion.

For her to have taken the Vivre Card and actually run away, she knew full well what she was doing, so I don't think she's just a ditz. It could all be coincidence, but I think she does have underlying motives. Big Mom is a despot who takes away freedom; Lola loves her freedom and would rather be rejected than be guaranteed marriage by force; clashing ideals, and she does have a good relationship with Pudding which might mean she does intend for the SHs to save her beloved siblings and put an end to Big Mom's tyranny just as Moriah's was brought to an end (especially with the pedestal he's been put on for going against an Emperor at one time).

Also, given the nature of some Devil fruits, they inflate power to disproportional values. A character can appear strong and be weak; just look at how the Ghost girl (Perona) defeated Luffy, Zoro and Franky who were all far stronger than she was? Moriah may not be physically strong, but his ability is very powerful. He had a lot of subordinates (given the size of his ship), he just needs absorb numerous shadows in order to increase his own physical strength to trade blows with the likes of Kaido.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, I don't know. I think it's just that Lola figured that her Mother wouldn't be as angry as she was. I think she gave the SHs her Vivre Card because she truly believed that Big Mom would help them if they were ever in a pinch. She could have taken the Vivre Card to avoid being caught and/or spied on by the Homies, which we've seen are pretty much everywhere on Whole Cake Island. I imagine that Prometheus and Zeus are susceptible to them as well, so if she wanted to send them after Lola, they'd be pushed back.

The question is how did Lola get the Vivre Card? Lola might not be the one with underlying motives, but there may be someone in her Crew that does.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
However, there were still things questionable such as giving that Vivre card given how powerful it is. It's like giving someone the keys to your house, a gun and a cloak of invincibility. More so, to someone who wants to become Pirate King? She surely knows her mother is against all those who are trying to achieve the same goal as she is. More so witnessing Luffy and his character, she should know full well he's not the type to subordinate himself to anyone. The fact she even had Luffy take in those shadows (a plan she devised) shows she's quite intelligent too in my opinion.

For her to have taken the Vivre Card and actually run away, she knew full well what she was doing, so I don't think she's just a ditz. It could all be coincidence, but I think she does have underlying motives. Big Mom is a despot who takes away freedom; Lola loves her freedom and would rather be rejected than be guaranteed marriage by force; clashing ideals, and she does have a good relationship with Pudding which might mean she does intend for the SHs to save her beloved siblings and put an end to Big Mom's tyranny just as Moriah's was brought to an end (especially with the pedestal he's been put on for going against an Emperor at one time).
These points are why I could buy Lola planning it, or continuing her rebellion. It's a reasonable theory to me.

Also, given the nature of some Devil fruits, they inflate power to disproportional values. A character can appear strong and be weak; just look at how the Ghost girl (Perona) defeated Luffy, Zoro and Franky who were all far stronger than she was? Moriah may not be physically strong, but his ability is very powerful. He had a lot of subordinates (given the size of his ship), he just needs absorb numerous shadows in order to increase his own physical strength to trade blows with the likes of Kaido.
Yea DF's can skew fights into someone's favour. Depending on the fruit, the users other abilities, and how it interacts with the opponent; someone weaker can beat someone stronger. Possibly Moria is a good match up for Kaido Idk.

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco

Well that requires Moriah's basic strength to be world class, we've seen that even with all those absorbed shadows, he was still defeated by Luffy
Perhaps if he was stronger and less lazy, thing would've been extremely different... So his DF's potential is huge, but completely wasted on the current version of him

Maybe he would've performed better of he absorbed few but powerful shadows rather than that huge amount, which also made him huge and extremely slow

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well that requires Moriah's basic strength to be world class, we've seen that even with all those absorbed shadows, he was still defeated by Luffy
Perhaps if he was stronger and less lazy, thing would've been extremely different... So his DF's potential is huge, but completely wasted on the current version of him

Maybe he would've performed better of he absorbed few but powerful shadows rather than that huge amount, which also made him huge and extremely slow
His basic strength doesn't need to be world-class. He's already strong, just not very strong. He took in more than he could handle, but even prior to that, he was still wielding immense strength.

We can't forget the size of his crew too would play a role. Luffy may have defeated him, but we can't forget Luffy too used the strength of the shadows.

The point is his DF has the capacity to make him physically powerful. What we know for a fact is he fought with Kaido, and he's renowned for it. If it were simply due to his core strength, it'd be questionable, but where Devil fruit abilities like his are around to boost core strength, potential to challenge even the most powerful becomes possible.

Everything regarding her character seems accurate; she's someone who absolutely cares about no one but herself. Regarding Lola. what's to see is how exactly naive she is or if she has an affinity for dis-ingenuity.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Ahh so Lola's activities and actions are just another case of Luffy having things go his way (fate) as opposed to scheming and plots.

--- Double Post Merged, ---
Well I don't exactly agree with your theory because I don't think Lola can even develop such a plan but you do have some points
You were right on this point here, good job.

MOYcano 0.23

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
On the subject of Moria vs. Kaido, I wonder... Did Moria had his devil fruit powers back then? I think he could have them and lose anyway but after seeing Kaido torturing Eustass Kid, I choose to believe that Kaido started to kill Moria's crew in order to break his spirit and defeat him. [SFMBE]

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Either Lola is a diabolical mastermind, or something happened that made BM mentally tailspin in the years after she left.

Some character did mention that Lola's departure itself made BM far more cruel than she'd been before. It's possible the political loss of Elbaf is just the icing on the angrysad cake and she was just hurt in such a deep maternally affecting way it's warped into godlike manic episodes.

I think Lola considered the possibility of BM turning on them, so the vivrecard serves both as a homing beacon to potential help or a superweapon that can protect them against every homie in Totland. Aiming the SHs at BM or an honest mistake about BM's diminished benevolence- Oda made a scenario where both, neither, or either can be true. Rare that a plot device serves its purpose so beautifully.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
So, seems Big Mom is truly as mad as assumed and her ability does require fear to steal one's soul. I expect Lola to make an appearance or to feature in an up & coming cover page regarding the news of Big Mom's defeat, or maybe Oda will just attribute a panel or 2 to Lola's reaction.