Discussion Looking Beyond the Plot- Clare's Jesus Similarities and Differences

JohnGalt

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This seems like one of the best places/sites to post this stuff (if you know better, tell me!).

To start off, I've only just started on the manga and am up to book 7. I've seen the anime and loved it except for those godawful final episodes (ironic considering the Evangelion allusion). I'm only going to read the english published versions (chalk it up to something like being a bibliophile), so try not to spoil much for me if possible! I intend to do a thorough, heavy-note-taking reading of Claymore at some time, but here are some preliminary notes on my for fun read through, I want to know what you guys think and if you have any more to add.

First off, Claymore is an incredibly well-done manga. There is so much happening under the plot, it's kind of nuts; themes, allusions, symbols, the works. So, for this thread, I say that Clare is Jesus. No, that's not right. She's an allusion to Jesus (though she gets closer and closer to the actual thing as time goes on). To be Jesus (rather, His allusion), you only need to have two or three of the following, but Clare has all of them.

-She is in agony

-She is self-sacrificing

-She uses humble modes of transportation, i.e. walking

-She is often portrayed with her arms out-stretched

-She spends a ton of time alone, in the Wilderness (there is probably a specific event of this somewhere, complete with temptations and the like).

-Being kind of crucified by the Yoma in the Cathedral before she is awakened. (This Yoma, pretending to be a mummy, can also represent death). An interesting side note, before awakening, Clare is baptized (even if it was only for show, it still happened) and thus purified.
-She also slept for two days here, after receiving the crucifixion wounds, arising and awakening on the third.

-She resurrects Lazarus/Jean

-She is here to redeem an unworthy world (think of the bandits, think of Ophelia)

-She is part of a (holy) trinity. Clare is herself (Jesus), Teresa (God), and Ilena (The Holy Spirit).

Possible Jesus allusions:

-She confronts the devil (I actually have no idea who the devil is in Claymore, I think it changes)

-Something with a company of thieves. To meet this, she would have to keep company with sinners and redeem them. Generally, others give Jesus crap for hanging around thieves.

-In these early volumes, Clare is often shown with people/townsfolk behind her where the other characters are not.

-She is possibly good with children

(She really almost has enough of these to literally be Jesus. I don't think she's 33, walks on water or is a carpenter though.)

The question is, is Clare regular Christian Jesus, or is she Gnostic Jesus, such as Neo in The Matrix? Having Teresa, God, be female, and having an awakening rather than a resurrection points to Gnosticism, but I do not know enough about the religion to be certain. For most Jesus allusions, the character dies/resurrects and it is over. But for Clare and Neo, the majority of the story goes on after this. The resurrections serve as a coming to power.

(A lot of these can be applied to all Claymores, it's important because it's Clare)

tl;dr
Clare is Jesus o.O

Edit: I'll have a response after work, it's a beast! I'm going to re edit the checklist with some of your guys' reasons (like vengeance's hehe). Keep 'em coming! This is fun! I want you to tear into this as hard as possible!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

astrallite

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
7
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
Abu Dhabi
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:
Top