Lost in Translation: Number 500

boyakist4649

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
283
Reaction score
2,989
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
I have been doing some translation of various texts and manuals between Japanese and English languages over quite some time now (albeit I am not too experienced in the manga community), but I routinely encounter translations that are faithful to the written text, however many messages and implications are lost in translation.

I have come to appreciate the work of many of the translators/scanslators, as their work is quite solid and reputable. I also understand they are often limited by the spacing and positioning of the drawings, which may prove to be difficult. However, they have been phenomenal in terms of sticking with the hard translations, with the occassional soft translation (those that are not faithful to the actual written words, but rather faithful to the intended message). Here, I would like to take each chapter (as soon as I get a hold of a R@Wscan) and look for messages that could be added to the current translation/scanslation. I hope that this information can add to your reading experiences, and perhaps enhance your appreciation for the Japanese language/culture.

* on a personal note - as these are Shonen manga (meant for grammar school children), I find that the swearing that I occasionally see actually detracts from the manga. For example, an equivalent for the word sh*t in the English language may be "kuso くそ," however the word "f*ck" really has no equivalent. Although I did not grow up in an English-speaking country, I doubt the term is thrown around in comic books where the main characters are primarily minors.

Naruto 500

* Pages will be referred by MangaStream.com's numbering (eg: the first title page of every chapter always seems to be page #2)

Page 3 -
Kushina: "But the Fire and Whirlpool countries... and the Leaf and Eddy villages..."
This was an interesting translation. The direct translations would be the Hidden Village of the Leaf, and the Hidden Village of the Whirling Waves (Uzushio). 'Eddy' was certainly an interesting choice.

Page 4 -
Kushina: "...though their processes were a little rough"
This may also be referring to the clans-people themselves, rather than the sealing techniques they performed. The Uzumaki clan may have been a rough around the edges, a bit like Kushina and Naruto, whom are probably not referred to as 'refined.'

Page 5 -
Kushina: " My predecessor as the Jinchuuriki was also a powerful female ninja"
Kushina also mentions that her predecessor was also from the HIdden Village of Uzushio (Eddy), although it becomes apparent as the translations in the next panel refer to her as 'Uzumaki.'

Page 6 -
Kushina: "Only the Third Hokage and the top village councilors knew... only three people"
Actually it reads, "The only ones who knew of this were just a few of the top village councilors, including the Third Hokage. Not even the Sannin (Jiraiya, Tsunade, Orochimaru) knew about it."

PAge 8 -
Kushina: "It figures, he left most of it to me..."
Actually it reads, "That's right... I was given the larger ratio at the time..."
Perhaps this is referring to a larger ratio of Kushina's chakra, rather than Minato's, used to create this 'event' in the seal to converse with Naruto.
Kushina also calls Madara the "masked murderer" - but it translates to "masked man" - no mention of murderer

Page 11 -
Sarutobi (Third Hokage) is actually apologetic about having them deliver in a barrier outside of the village

Page 12 -
Mikoto: "Yes, I'm sure he'll become a fine shinobi."
She says: (she gave him that name) in hopes of her son becoming a fine shinobi

That's it for this chapter - again I don't mean to disrespect those that have put in many hours translating and scanslating. Provided I don't get stoned, I'll try to keep this up with future chapters! ^^
 

TwEeD

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
341
Reaction score
122
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Natoma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
816
Reaction score
727
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

boyakist4649

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
283
Reaction score
2,989
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Alterno

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
1,304
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:

boyakist4649

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
283
Reaction score
2,989
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

NinGuy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
25
Reaction score
8
Age
39
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

dylec

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2005
Messages
147
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

ek7

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
183
Reaction score
59
Gender
Male
Country
France
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Akabeth

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
283
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Empire
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Top