Lost in translation: Number 504

boyakist4649

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
283
Reaction score
2,989
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
A tear-jerking chapter... some differences in the text/translation that I picked up. Again, original scanslation in bold, and my iterations in italics.

p2
An unacceptable plan...!
A difficult proposal to accept...!

Minato: "You'll meet the grown-up Naruto sooner than you think..."
Minato: "Although you won't be able to meet the grown-up Naruto
for too long...
"
Minato specifically refers to the length of time Kushina will be in contact with Naruto... not the length of time until meeting Naruto.

p3
Minato: "You should understand... you saw your own country fall apart."
Minato: "Your own country was destroyed, so shouldn't you understand what that's like?"
Japanese text mentions the destruction of the country - not the falling apart of one.

Minato: "You know the pain of growing up without a home of your own..."
Minato: "(You know) The unbelievable hardships that follow those people that are left without a country..."

p4
Minato: "There are things Naruto needs to be told, things I could never say myself, That's the mother's job and I need you to carry it out. Even if you only have the briefest moments to do so."
Minato: "I could never give Naruto what you can give him as his mother, and even if it's for the briefest amount of time. It's just something that only mothers can do."
This was difficult to translate. Minato is implicating that mothers can give their children something that fathers could never do, and even the briefest of moments Kushina has with Naruto, is more valuable than all the time Minato could have had with Naruto.

p5
Minato: "Dying to make a better life for his son, that's the stuff you let the father handle."
Minato: "I can die for the sake of my son... That's something even a father could do."
Minato refers to the 'something even a father could do' later in p9

p6
Frame 2: "We're too late they've put up a barrier around the nine-tails!"
Frame 2: Kyuubi says "Grrr"

Third: "Whatever they're doing, they're doing it alone!"
Third: "No use... They have put up a barrier so that the Kyuubi will not
escape! They're (Minato and Kushina) trying to do something about the Kyuubi all on their own!
"

p8
Kyuubi: "The ceremonial throne! He plans to reseal me into that child?!"
Kyuubi: "The ceremonial throne! He plans to seal me again?! and into a child like that?!"

Minato: "Kushina! Stay with me!"
Minato: "Kushina! Are you OK?!"

p9
Kushina:" If the father can do this job..."
Minato: "I told you... this is something that even a father could do..."
This is not Kushina speaking... but rather Minato.

Kushina: "You win"
Kushina: "I understand..."

Kushina: "First arguement... you've ever won... I guess you're really serious..."
Kushina: "This is the first... (marital) arguement I have ever lost... you're really that serious..."

p10
Gamatora: "Aah the nine-tails! and fourth, what the hell happened to you!"
Gamatora: "Whoa! Kyuubi! And the Fourth! What the heck is going on!?"

Gamatora: "Got it! Good... goodbye."
Gamatora: "I've got the key! I'll be on my way (to Jiraiya)"

p12
Minato: "We don't have much time... if you have anything left to say to Naruto..."
Minato: "We won't see him for a while... Let's say what we would want to say to him right now..."

p13
Kushina: "And study your Ninjutsu... I was never very good at it, maybe you will be..."
Kushina: "and although I wasn't too great at it, study hard and practice your ninjitsu"
Kushina was obviously not too studious or diligent... she was not referring to being bad at Ninjutsu.

Kushina: "Make sure you listen to the teachers... at the academy."
Kushina: "at the academy - respect your teachers and your senpai (senior students)"

Kushina: "and remember avoid the three vices of shinobi... don't borrow money if you can help it."
Kushina: "and an important thing... the three vices of shinobi...be careful about borrowing and lending money..."
Japanese culture often consider both borrowing and lending money to carry equal potentials for danger.

Kushina: "and as for women... well, I'm a woman so I don't know what to say, but there are only men and women in this world, and you'll want a girlfriend someday... just try not to pick a weird one... try to find somone like your mother."
Kushina: "and the problematic vice... women. I'm a girl myself, so i don't really know... but the world only has males and females... you'll probably find an interest a girl, so don't get reeled in by a strange girl... find a girl like me, your mother."
Kushina does not mention Naruto 'picking' a girl... but rather being picked BY a weird girl.

p14
Kushina: "and the fourth warning... watch out for Jiraiya-sensei"
Kushina: "and one more thing about the three vices... be careful with Jiraiya-sensei...tte ba ne (ending sentence with her version of dattebayo)"
Of course... Kushina is half-joking, as indicated by her 'tte ba ne'

Kushina: "Naruto... you're going to experience a lot of pain and suffering..."
Kushina: "Naruto... there will be hard times... painful times... and a lot of them..."

p15
Kushina: "We made you into the Nine-tail's vessel, and left you with such a heavy burden. I wasn't there to raise you... I wasn't there to love you!"
Kushina: "We made you into the Kyuubi vessel, and made you carry our burden. We couldn't live alongside with you and couldn't give you our love"

Naruto: "But I never blamed either of you!"
Naruto: "But... mom, dad, I've never once resented you guys"
Specifically mentions both mom and dad.

Naruto: "Maybe I never understood what a parent's love is really like, but I never had a mom or dad to begin with... so I managed."
Naruto: "Truthfully, I really didn't know what a parent's love was like...
You guys weren't there...so I could only kinda imagine what it was like...
"
Naruto doesn't put an ounce of blame on his parents... he never said 'managed' but rather tried to imagine what it was like to feel loved by parents.

p17
Naruto: "You filled me up with love before you put the nine-tails in me! So here I am happy and healthy!"
Naruto: "I know now that my 'vessel' was filled with love too, even before the Kyuubi. And that's why I am happy too."
Naruto refers to Kushina's 'vessel' that was filled with love, and that his
vessel, like hers, was filled with love as well.

p18
Naruto: "I'm glad I ended up being your son!"
Naruto: "I'm glad that I am you and dad's son"
Again - text specifically mentions 'mom and dad'
 

mayumi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Alterno

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
1,304
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:

ryzvonusef

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
100
Reaction score
368
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:

Sherbetmayhem

Proofreader
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
112
Reaction score
65
Age
40
Gender
Female
Country
England
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Alterno

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
1,304
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

ryzvonusef

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
100
Reaction score
368
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Natoma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
816
Reaction score
727
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Thabor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,264
Reaction score
1,139
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

weehoo107

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
341
Reaction score
149
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

kayjin927

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
45
Reaction score
11
Gender
Male
Country
South Africa
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Thabor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,264
Reaction score
1,139
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Top