Lost in translation: Number 505

boyakist4649

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
283
Reaction score
2,989
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Not too much to note this week... but here's a go. This time, original text is in italics... and my flavours in bold. I also highlighted some of the larger differences with an asterik.

505: Kyuubi chakra, unleashed

P3
His mother's parting thoughts resonate with Naruto
Technically - written as the mother's thoughts not words that was referred to here.

Naruto: I promise I'll eat more than ramen from now on... I'll work in the vegetables.
Naruto: From here on out.... I'll each my vegetables, and not just ramen all the time...

Naruto: I love hopping in a hot bath so no worries there... and I get plenty of sleep, probably too much!
Naruto: I love to bathe - so don't worry... I frequently go to the hot springs.
And I am always getting plenty of sleep... actually maybe a little too much!



Naruto: As for friends, I've got plenty and they're all wonderful people!
I just wish you could've met them...

Naruto: And as for friends, I've been able to make a lot of good ones.
I would have wanted you to meet them...

Naruto talks about good 'Friends' in the context of making friends, and not necessarily calling them wonderful individuals.

P4
Naruto: Although one in particular's been giving me a lot of grief lately!
Naruto: ...but there's one (friend) I am not doing so well with...
no mention of been given any grief... just describing how one freindship is not going as well as Naruto would like it.

*Naruto: I am Uzumaki Naruto, Ninja of the hidden leaf. My dream is to become Hokage! One to surpass all the previous Hokages
Naruto: I am Uzumaki Naruto, a ninja of Konoha.
My dream is to succeed the title of Hokage
and to surpass all the previous Hokages

Note: it is referred to as the 'title of Hokage' and this is mentioned several times in series. WARNING - SPECULATION: This MAY implicate that Naruto may not live long enough to become Hokage, and leaves the possibility to obtain the honor of Hokage after death. It's likely that these separate "hidden villages" will deteriorate eventually, and it would be in agreement with the peaceful world of shinobi that one would like to envision.

p5
Naruto: to become a bigger badass than my father
to become a stronger shinobi than my mother

Naruto: and I'll become an even better man than my father
and become a more powerful shinobi than my mother

...badass....?

p6
Naruto: Hell Yeah
Naruto: Ossha~! translates to: Yeah~!
the'hell' context is a bit off and slightly out of his character.

P7
Bee: I feel ya, I feel ya... nice man,
nice. The look on your face is cool as ice.

Bee: I see, that's what happened - understood, ryoukai!
your face is - calm and cool, ryoukan!

Japanese, as you know is a phonetic language, making rhymes with words a lot easier than the English language. I really like the mangastream translations - but I will try my best to stick with this format of literal translation: blah blah blah - ENGLISH translation, Japanese term (that is rhymed). Learn a Japanese word with every Bee rhyme! ^^;

Bee: Good stuff, man. Especially this... oh and that...
Bee: well... thank goodness...
especially - that, are and - this, kore was yo!


p8
Bee: Whooooa naruto you pilled that off?!
sheeet!

Bee: WHooo! Naruto - by THIS did you maybe mean...

*Gai: Youthful energy is racing through every inch of my body
Gai: Although it's what being young* is about, I cannot leave a youngster
struggling!

*Gai often refers to the young years - or seishun - which refers to adolescence.

Konoha with glasses (sorry forgot his name): sorry this is uh just how he is
Konoha with glasses: this person's a bit... unique... i'm sorry...

p9
*Naruto: But check out what happens when i do!
Naruto: This is what it's like when i use it...
Much more humble in tone - he's not trying to showing off his new abilities, but more like sharing information as to how he conquered the Kyuubi chakra.

p10
Naruto: thought you could hide, huh?
Naruto: you call that hiding?

Bee: He detected a presence, we both been remiss!
Talk about intense, I didn't even notice!

Bee: You can feel a different - presence, sonzai
since I didn't notice I must be - careless, zonzai


p11
Kisame: Not even the most astute sensor-types are capable of that... gaining control of the nine-tails has afforded you interesting new powers
Kisame: that is somewhat unique from all known sensory-types - this must be the power of a Jinchuuriki who has controlled the Kyuubi

p12
Naruto: shark-scumbag
Naruto: shark-dude

Bee: What? We sliced this guys head off back in the forest!
You tellin' me our tag attack actually missed?

Bee: Why? We lopped off his head at that time - for sure, hazu.
How did you make our tag attack - miss, hazushita?


Bee: Man that doesn't hold water, we had a dead body!
Even after the slaughter, if it was someone in discuise C would've sensed the difference - your story's all shoddy!

Bee: We did confirm a dead body, so this is - puzzling, gimon.
it someone else transformed into you, our C should have noticed, this is a - problem, nanmon.


Kisame: It was a unique type of clone, a living being that can be controlled remotely... but let's move on, shall we?
Kisame: It's actually a special clone...it's a parasitic clone that can
manipulate my a being from afar...let's leave the details at that...


Kisame: I've been spying on you the whole time.
Kisame: I DID come here as a spy you know...

p13
*Bee: Teleport technique and a right handed smash
but all i saw...was a yellow flash!

Bee: Is it the Shunshin technique? Got the - lead-off attack, senkou
It's as if he's the yellow - flash, senkou!

Refers to a shunshin technique... not a teleportation technique. Shunshin means "Body-flicker" - but Kishimoto is not saying that Naruto has mastered Minato's Hiraishin technique... I think he is just implicating that it may be similar.

p14
Yamato: He's not quite at the fourth's level yet
Yamato: he can't seem to do it quite like the fourth
No mention of 'level' but simply saying that Naruto can't 'pull it off' quite like the Fourth did. Keep in mind that grace and execution are not really part of Naruto's character. He clearly gets this other side from his mother.

*Bee: I'm on his ass
like white on rice

Bee: leave it to me to - follow, tuiseki
and then follow with an - attack, tuigeki


p15
Gai: You fool! There's no time, I'm here to cheer Naruto on!
Gai: Nonsense! There's no time, I'm here to cheer Naruto on!
Gai's not calling the other Konoha a 'fool'

p17
Gai: You err, me!
I'm going to beat your lost youth into you!

Gai: You! Who forgot their youth (adolescence)!
I'll pound your spirit back into alignment!


*p18
text at bottom:
Next issue: Gai vs. Kisame...!!
and the Great Ninja War to break out!
 
Last edited:

Laam

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
38
Reaction score
123
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

gsainath4u

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 27, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
India
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

xaither

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
863
Reaction score
307
Age
34
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:

mayumi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:

Alterno

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
1,304
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:

Thabor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
1,264
Reaction score
1,139
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Last edited:

ryzvonusef

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
100
Reaction score
368
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Please register to see the content of this post.
 

Karma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
833
Reaction score
35
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
Jamaica
Please register to see the content of this post.
 
Top