Love or hate Blackbeard

Do you like BB

  • Yes I like BB

    Votes: 44 51.8%
  • No I don't like BB

    Votes: 7 8.2%
  • He is an interesting character but I don't like him as a person

    Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I like him as a person but don't think he is an interesting character

    Votes: 3 3.5%

  • Total voters
    85

Vetinari clone

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
224
Reaction score
116
Gender
Male
Country
Wales
Personally I love Blackbeard, he won me over with his talk about pirates dreams, however I see a lot of posts from people who don't like him so I'm wondering what the ratio is.

Edit: With the new chapters I'm gonna have to say I'm unsure whether I like him any more the way he has behaved in these last few chapters... Well, it isn't to my taste.
 
Last edited:

Smit

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
139
Reaction score
56
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
I cant seem to hate him eventhough i want to sometimes. He's a man who is following his dreams and is willing to do anything to achieve it. Most people dont have that kind of conviction and sometimes that is a good trait.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I can't understand how people who voted "to like him"... your are DISTURBED! Betraying his family, spitting on loyality, taking his "brother" to people to kill him later on. For example: Ryo Narushima from Shamo, he is an interesting person, his fights are awesome, but would anybody like like him, like him to be a friend? Never.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
He is the most pirate-like pirate in One Piece and yes, he does have some very interesting feats. He follows and believes in his dreams just like Luffy, but he is willing to do the most terrible things to achieve them, not very Luffy-like. He betrayed his family/nakama which is the one absolute thing Luffy would never do.. He really is like an evil Luffy, and he is an awesome character to have as a villain.

HOWEVER, the point with the villain is that you aren't supposed to like him. I sure as hell do not like this cold-hearted, betraying son of a bitch, but I find him awesome as a villain. I guess this is why people said they like him.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
He is the most pirate-like pirate in One Piece
That's a good point!

I have heard that the real pirate Blackbeard took all money from his crew and left them stuck somewhere, I don't remember very well the history.
 

Vetinari clone

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
224
Reaction score
116
Gender
Male
Country
Wales
That's a good point!

I have heard that the real pirate Blackbeard took all money from his crew and left them stuck somewhere, I don't remember very well the history.
nah he got hung (or at least his head did) so it would've been kinda hard to do :darn. but yeah both blackbeards were/are awe inspiring
 
Last edited:

redred

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
478
Reaction score
229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can't seem to dislike BB. He won me over with the luffy parallel scenes back in Jaya. After that i never really thought of him as awful regardless of his actions :P
 

bittman

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
1,746
Reaction score
929
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I loved him when I thought he was seriously one of the few remaining badasses in One Piece given Kuma the "tyrants" tactical behaviour and the last two unrevealed Shichibukai becoming Luffy's allies.

...and then we got introduced to Doflamingo and Akainu.

I think BB will be the final boss, but he's just not....well not evil enough anymore. Maybe he'll rectify this soon.

So anyway, on the fence with him.
 

Poneglyph420

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
1,317
Reaction score
597
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
I can't understand how people who voted "to like him"... your are DISTURBED!
Thank you.

While I won't contest that, BB is not someone I'd make friends with. But I like him, I like that he embodies much of what "classical" pirates did..
I also like that he has been dedicated to his goal for decades, and through patience and evil handed cunning succeeded. But I might not have him over for beers....
:p

In the context of OP world morality he's actually not off from the norm.
I think few people would really like to meet a pissed BB coming our way.
However often dark "shady" people make good allies especially in a place where the WG and it's forces are as willing to use any means as willingly the forces they combat.
 

BlackHair

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,503
Reaction score
1,005
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
BB seems to be the final villain of the story. Since he represent that value in OP, I dislike his way to do things. I mean all the decades hiding behind WB's shadow to gain a fruit and later he sticks his ass with the WG (as a member of the 7 Warlords). Yes that was a smart move, however not reckless as Luffy would do things. I like BB as a villain but as THE final villain he is quite disappointing.

However there is one thing I rly like about BB. That he is still not the strongest, that he is still in power growing pirate. I mean Luffy was able to send him flying bleeding and he was beaten by Magallen in two seconds. Unlike in other stories we get to see our antagonist growing in a similar way like Luffy. Oda did rly a good job here to not make him godlike ala Aizen.
 

DARK

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
2,876
Reaction score
739
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We haven't seen much of Blackbeard to give a full-bodied judgment, but Oda seems to be developing him as the "final villain" of the storyline.
Blackbeard is such a controversial character to love or hate. While he is a very wacky yet badass character and his DF abilities are exceptional, Blackbeard did cause Ace's death and basically screwed over the WB pirates.
Right now, I'm more near the "love" end of the spectrum in regards to Blackbeard. Hopefully now that Blackbeard is on the battlefield along with Whitebeard, he can finally exemplify his qualities.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
:err How can you hate BB??? :D

I think his a super character! Zehahahaha << BB's laugh is legendary lol xD!
He's a good character in the sense that you want to punch him in the face but are too afraid of getting your ass kicked to do so. In other words, he's a good character because he's a villain that you don't like. At least that's how I feel. :p

People say they love him so much, but when he's up against Luffy they're gonna feel deep hatred towards him every time he so much as slaps Luffy.
 

frontaLobotomy

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
306
Reaction score
59
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Before you decide whether you like Blackbeard or not you should ask yourself; Are you a fan of The Joker? Compelling villains are always the ones that walk the road with no finite views on what is good or evil. They just do things, and that's that. Even if what they do is deplorable, we as fans can relate to it in terms of wanting to just do as we please. Teach and Luffy are one and the same, they just go about things in a different way.
 

Franckie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
2,902
Reaction score
1,381
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
BB is a unique antagonist you don't see everyday. There's not much of a philosophical conflict you see between him and Luffy as you would, for example, see between Doflamingo and Luffy. He also has a fatalistic, happy-go attitude with things. Nevertheless, his demeanor obscures the fact that BB is intelligent, patient, and calculating. He has no qualms about taking advantage when opportunity presents itself, and now BB has personally shattered One Piece's "Balance of Power". BB also doesn't have the appearance of what people normally expect for a final villain (bishounen, though that could change with BB).

On a side note, he has a very interesting power. I find BB's DF power to be one of the most interesting, entertaining abilities out of all the Shichibukai.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think Blackbeard has a great chance to become the Pirate King. It's the natural opponent of Luffy, the philosophy that goes similar and yet so different.

I LOVE the character FOR THE STORY, although I doubt that I would like him If I would be on OP world.

He also has some things interesting to challenge the supremacy of Logia, and I can't wait how Luffy will do to defeat him. I can't come up with any answer, so it would be awesome to know how Oda will make that fight. For me it's like Magellan...It's one power I'm curious to see defeated.
 

PaPiPuPePo~

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
69
Reaction score
17
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
at the beginning i liked him very much because what he says :D about the dreams :smugbunny
he join the war and throw big words but after that he cried for his life :wall
i lost many respect for him XD -_-
 
Last edited:

Vetinari clone

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
224
Reaction score
116
Gender
Male
Country
Wales
Yup I think a lot of people have that opinion. I'm kinda leaning towards the a$$hole line of thinking myself now.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I think Blackbeard has a great chance to become the Pirate King. It's the natural opponent of Luffy, the philosophy that goes similar and yet so different.

I LOVE the character FOR THE STORY, although I doubt that I would like him If I would be on OP world.

He also has some things interesting to challenge the supremacy of Logia, and I can't wait how Luffy will do to defeat him. I can't come up with any answer, so it would be awesome to know how Oda will make that fight. For me it's like Magellan...It's one power I'm curious to see defeated.
i'm pretty sure if we were in the OP world we wouldn't like a lot of characters we love:eyeroll
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,048
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I like his character a lot, but the recent chapter made it seems like he is somewhere in the middle of like and hate. Hope that made sense.
 
Top