Discussion Luffy's message to his nakama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naruffy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
783
Reaction score
317
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Seems to me like the message was something along the lines of "get stronger so we won't get separated again" I don't know how they got it through the picture though.
 

Ratatosk

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
234
Reaction score
86
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Kingdom
But even if Luffy knows he is 'weak', he is still the captain and the strongest member of the crew, and they are now being chased by countless people who are stronger than them, mainly because of his recent actions. Even if he's lost all his confidence/ambitions to be the Pirate King (which I doubt), he's going to want to protect the people he's got left. The best option for survival is to meet up.

And he's seen enough Haki to work it out for himself, without training arcs to slow the story down, let the rest of the Supernovas get ahead of him, and decrease the reader's respect for his independence. The best thing about One Piece fights is people making it up on the fly.
 

Soka

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2010
Messages
32
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The best option for survival is to meet up.
Cant see your point why its safer to meet up with one of the most wanted criminals in the world who had a flashback that clearly stated hes too weak to guard those he loves than staying on the islands they are on?
 

THM Nindo

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
4,153
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Here's my thought (copied from the discussion thread):

So, his message was something like : "I'm fine, I'm training. Train yourself where Kuma sent you and we will see each other in x months/years"

Maybe some people were right and the tatoo is SA2Y
The crossed S and A are for Sabo and Ace, but it also means Sabaody Archipelago in 2 years.

Are we going to get a 2 years timeskip?
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Two years thing seems far too stretched to take it seriously, at least for me. I think they will "train" a bit more and meet in two weeks.
 

THM Nindo

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
4,153
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
2 weeks?
It would take more than that for some of them to just get out of their islands...

And that's not even counting that they would have to make their way back to their rendez-vous point...

Although, I agree that 2 years is pretty long, if we consider that they haven't even been all together for 1 years (especially the new recruits, Franky and Brooke). :tem
 

Ellesra

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Norway
There is no 'A' in Luffy's tattoo. It says;

S
P
2
Y

This is why, the 'P' can't mean Archipelago. However, it could mean Pirates, as previously mentioned in this discussion.

I do agree, though, that two years is an awful long time to wait, both for Luffy and his crew. But two years may be the only way for us to notice a change in the characters (if Oda has decided to do a time-skip). After all, the starting characters hasn't changed that much in one year. Right?
 

bittman

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
1,746
Reaction score
929
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I don't think the tattoo is an important part of the message; we can't read it so why the hell should they be able to? Too much depends on the whims of photographers.
I'm with this. I wouldn't focus on the tattoo too much since it would be Luffy's actions that would get reported far more easily. I mean, if the tattoo was the message, then all the newspaper needed to do was get Luffy on the slightly wrong angle (which it did anyway. I can't make out the tattoo), and the message would fail.

Look at his actions for the meaning, not the number of bandages he was wearing or a barely legible tattoo.
 

hossice

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
461
Reaction score
80
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I looked at the first page posts and maybe it means 3 months 16 days. the silent thing was meant to say "stay on the DL for now and gather yourself" (flowers=relaxing??)
 

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
I guess I've finally understood a bit of Luffy's message. When Lieutenant Brandnew said Luffy took a battleship at MHQ and sailed around the bay, Luffy was actually leaving the island with a stolen ship - as if he was heading for SA - and then suddenly came back to do something - in his case pay respect to Ace's death place.

It was to tell his crewmates to stay or to return where they were sent by Kuma because they also had something to do there. That explains Chopper's decision to fly back after he understood Luffy's message.

So if we really have guessed what the ringing bell or/and the tatoo mean - probably a time to gather - then we've understood Luffy's full message ! By the way, I'm surprised nobody talked about the sailing meaning before.
 
Last edited:

wing_gundam

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
1,278
Reaction score
878
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It's not DBZ he's a fan of, it's Naruto...


Go look at any of the threads back on Jiraiya's death it's the same. What does the code mean?

Well all we knew (esp as the chapters were winding down) was it was a code that only Naruto would know.

Here's a code that only the Strawhats know. And guess what? It's right after Ace's death. Oda took this from Naruto and that's the best clue we have if you want to solve it early! (Best is just to wait)

So Jiraiya's code to the SH's is only something they'd recognize. I'm guessing it relates to Luffy's past. Maybe the whole thing we just saw was a clue... maybe it relates to

a) Windmill town
b) Goa kingdom
c) Dragon
d) Shanks
e) all of the above


Personally I think it's all gonna come together - they will all meet in Goa using Dragon's network and influences. Will probably meet up with Shanks (who seems to be able to travel any distance instantly too), but I think they'll meet there and then attempt the journey again (they can probably cross the calm belt anywhere when they're ready) and just head straight to the new world.
 

ish3

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
455
Reaction score
143
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's not DBZ he's a fan of, it's Naruto...


Go look at any of the threads back on Jiraiya's death it's the same. What does the code mean?

Well all we knew (esp as the chapters were winding down) was it was a code that only Naruto would know.

Here's a code that only the Strawhats know. And guess what? It's right after Ace's death. Oda took this from Naruto and that's the best clue we have if you want to solve it early! (Best is just to wait)

So Jiraiya's code to the SH's is only something they'd recognize. I'm guessing it relates to Luffy's past. Maybe the whole thing we just saw was a clue... maybe it relates to

a) Windmill town
b) Goa kingdom
c) Dragon
d) Shanks
e) all of the above


Personally I think it's all gonna come together - they will all meet in Goa using Dragon's network and influences. Will probably meet up with Shanks (who seems to be able to travel any distance instantly too), but I think they'll meet there and then attempt the journey again (they can probably cross the calm belt anywhere when they're ready) and just head straight to the new world.
Nice post and all but this has nothing to do with Naruto. At all. It's a nice comparison but Oda has done this before. Like during Alabasta. I hate when people do with with any of the big three. As of now it's obvious he wants them to train before rejoining so they aren't defeated. For how long? I'm not sure. Where exactly? Don't know. But what we do know is it will take at least a month or so. Also Luffy needs his own improvement as well he has gotten a lot of battle experience with the strongest fighters lately.
 
Last edited:

tret16

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 21, 2010
Messages
467
Reaction score
87
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think people are missing a very big statement that was made by killer. Yes he got the meaning behind it wrong but it still gave a very big hint...


He stated that ringing it 16 times signifies the end of a year and the biggining of another... Hint hint hint... Obviously luffy is trying to tell them that he wants them to meet up on new years day. He doesn't need to tell them where to meet since they have the vivra card and can all meet up with rayliegh. He didn't tell them how long to wait till they meet up, he simply gave them a date that they should all meet each other at... I don't know how long new years is from the time they are at but that's my analisis of his message...
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Well, it's not that simple. He also circled Marineford 3 times. No idea what it mean... but you are right about the Vivre card thing, there is no need to tell a place.
 

fcToho

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2010
Messages
99
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well, it's not that simple. He also circled Marineford 3 times. No idea what it mean... but you are right about the Vivre card thing, there is no need to tell a place.
Well, I don't know where it was stated, but some fella posted, that the tattoo says: 3D2Y (3 and D are crossed out), which means they shouldn't (or couldn't ;)) meet in 3 days, like they were saying. Instead they should meat in 2 years.
So this would explain the tattoo, the 3 circles and the 16 rings.

Not my theory, but it came to my mind by reading about the 3 circles.
 

rexeren

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
30
Reaction score
3
Age
40
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
if the tattoo's meaning could be put aside for the moment, Luffy circling marinford 3 times could mean: let's meet again after 3 full moons/3 months

reason: I'm not really sure how the island is shaped, but I remember the bay was crescent, like half a moon
 

Bowser

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
1,127
Reaction score
118
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
. Hint hint hint... Obviously luffy is trying to tell them that he wants them to meet up on new years day.
Question: Does everyone know what 16 bells actually mean though? Doesnt sound like Kidd knew about it until Killer explained it. Would people like Zoro understand this?
 

Skyrius

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
229
Reaction score
113
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hm, well circling an area ONCE by boat is a real life marine act for "burial at sea" based off of traditions from the British Navy during the great age of piracy (or was it twice? I don't remember off the top of my head). I don't know which translation everyone read, but the one I saw never mentioned circling 3 times.

Also, on the note of Luffy's tatoo, I couldn't make it out well enough to know for sure that it said SA2Y or whatever the theory is, so we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions. Besides, whose to say that the picture shown to us was the ONLY picture to show up in the newspaper? There might very well be one that has a full shot of the tatoo.

I still think the key is in the 16 bells though, since ringing it 2 times marks disaster (which is what Luffy would have done if it was only to mourn the losses) so ringing it 16 times means something else. I don't agree with the new year theory, since there's no indication that all the crew members would catch the significance. Like mentioned, Kidd didn't even know until Killer explained.

All in all though, I'm sure Oda will come up with an acceptable explanation and I'll be smacking my head going "Duh! I should've seen that!"

EDIT:: Alternatively, it could be some information that most characters of the time would know of (like some sort of tradition for sailors) that won't be revealed to us until later.

Another thing I noticed, while I agree it probably doesn't refer to a place, it might not refer to a time either. Remember that Luffy has no idea where his crew is. So the whole 16 days of weeks or whatever might very well not be enough time to get to where they're meeting. Keep in mind it took Roger 3 years to conquer the Grand Line. The passage of time might not be clear in Luffy's adventure, but traveling the Grand Line takes a significant amount of time under normal circumstances. Although, one of my long standing theories is that Luffy will beat Roger's record, so who knows, I could just be rendering my own point moot XD

However, outside of a time or place, I can't think of any other significance the message could have, so I may very well be wrong.
 
Last edited:

banemus

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
tbh i think alot of people are forgetting something

if this entire adventure is only 1 year ... than why did coby change SO MUCH

I mean the first time we met him he looked like 13 years old and now he looks like 16-17 years old.

You can't just change a character this much in only a couple of months.

And if this was intentional ... than that would really screw up the story imo.
 

tret16

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 21, 2010
Messages
467
Reaction score
87
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
ya in the chapter that i read, it stated that they circle the island once not three times... And once is exactly what you said Skyrius, barial at sea. As for your objections for my theare, you have a right to your own opinons but i'm betting it's that. I mean ya Kidd didn't know about it but he seems to me like an idiot, and remember, Zoro also didn't get it at first either but we all know that he's not that big of an idiot, only when it comes to directions is he a moron.

As for the tattoo, no one should be mentioning it yet since Oda didn't make it clear in the chapter which means that he doesn't want us to know what it say's but he sure wanted us to know that he had gotten a new one... Something tells me it's just a tattoo similar to ace's, plain in simple... just to remember his brother and honor him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top