I‘ve been told that several people are planning to host games, so to avoid any problems like people cutting into each other‘s game signups and other things we may need a schedule of games.
For anyone who plans to host a game, you can either write in this thread for what month/day you‘re planning a game or edit it in the schedule yourself if you can.
Note that there‘s no limit to how many games can be had per month, but try not to have 2 games running at the same time.
Sign-ups!
To everyone who usually plays MG or those that don‘t want to miss signups, we‘re testing a new way to alert everyone to a new game instead of mass tags before each game.
All you have to do is go to>>this thread<<and press Watch on the top corner of the thread. I or a host will post there and notify everyone like this whenever a new game starts.
While hosting overall isn't necessarily hard, it's very easy to mess things up as we have seen plenty of times already. This naturally happens more often with newer hosts.
In order to get these new hosts familiar with how the game works behind the scenes and make it a smoother experience for everyone (no one wants a cancelled game!), we are establishing these sets of rules that follow the methods that have been used in the last 50 games:
-If it's your first time hosting, it's MANDATORY to have the help of someone that has hosted before. As long as they aren't banned, it doesn't matter if this person hosted twenty times or just once. This experienced host will be the "Main Host", while the new one assumes the role of "co-host".
-Tasks will be split in a rather equal manner so that the Main Host can keep things in check while the Co-host gets hands-on experience to learn properly.
-The Main Host has the final say when it comes to decisions (ideally, this won't need to be enforced heavily, it's mostly to avoid possible issues).
Once the game is over, the co-host can host on their own and even take the role of "experienced host" for a new host in need!
Hmm how well received was the last game's special role changes? Those of you like @Farfalla@gnut@lawlett-kun and the others who played, do you prefer the game roles to be static like in most games or something like in the last game?
So you actually liked becoming a freeman? Balancing is doable, but some players may not like that it makes things so complicated. You have to watch your own role and change, it's harder to claim a role since it can change and thus it's harder for town to keep track of all the roles in the game. Not sure if I want to make the game with static or changing roles.
I think no one likes to be/become a freeman '-'" But considering it was put together with detective, it made the game certainly more strategical for me. During the game (specially since I was killed early) I could realize how flawed my initials thought were (you guys helped me with that part lol) and how better I should have checked both roles to consider sinergy between them and other roles, in order to come up with my stories and survival means. So yeah, it got me way more interested in the game overall, not only the current one, but also mechanics and it certainly made it more challenging. Problems with the system are:
- some players won't engage by default (sorry, guys, you know who you highly inactive mofos are u.u) so, as host, you might end up "wasting two roles" that could be useful/fun in your setup, instead of one;
- some role mixes might be "lame", so not all players might have the opportunity to feel as challenged/interested and the mix might come out only as problematic and then players might get apathetic (#mightypowerofmight);
- as I said, it looks even trickier to balance the game since you're increasing the possible interactions and outcomes and have to add to this recipe the 'time' component: when changes happen, how those timesets also affect the game, etc.
I think no one likes to be/become a freeman '-'" But considering it was put together with detective, it made the game certainly more strategical for me. During the game (specially since I was killed early) I could realize how flawed my initials thought were (you guys helped me with that part lol) and how better I should have checked both roles to consider sinergy between them and other roles, in order to come up with my stories and survival means. So yeah, it got me way more interested in the game overall, not only the current one, but also mechanics and it certainly made it more challenging. Problems with the system are:
- some players won't engage by default (sorry, guys, you know who you highly inactive mofos are u.u) so, as host, you might end up "wasting two roles" that could be useful/fun in your setup, instead of one;
- some role mixes might be "lame", so not all players might have the opportunity to feel as challenged/interested and the mix might come out only as problematic and then players might get apathetic (#mightypowerofmight);
- as I said, it looks even trickier to balance the game since you're increasing the possible interactions and outcomes and have to add to this recipe the 'time' component: when changes happen, how those timesets also affect the game, etc.
Thanks for your thoughts on this Farfs. Balance is always a rather tricky thing even in normal games, though I would say that last game was pretty balanced. About the afkish people, there's no actual good way of dealing with it. We've had both boring and good roles just afk or not wanting to play so it mostly goes beyond the role.
There's only so many roles that can have such a fun mechanical interaction as your previous one. After all not everyone can get the fun roles, sometimes you're just a regular townie or another passive role, even in normal games some people get detective(or only detective for that matter) or get a role they don't like. If you asked all players about which roles they like we would have maybe 5 roles in total..
So I think even if you get a rather boring or simple role-change, you still are better off than just being a permanent regular townie without hope of doing something else.
I'll think about it whether to use the previous setup or the standard one.
Gry, make a Xmas setup where players will secretly send you a roles wishlist (PM) that you'll grant to some (the good kids) and twist for others (the bad kids) '-' Who will be in those 2 groups will be up to you '-' Now I hope your name is Klaus, to make it fitting '-'
Or like the new reality show you guys will have: some months in Siberia with a knife and everything is allowed. Sounds like a good background for a bloody MG as well o/
I've been thinking and I think I got an interesting game setup. May be more than I can manage, but I'll still try. Would like more players for such a game though, maybe around 14?