Discussion Manga and Anime.

Shabozz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey MH fans i was just wandering? I'm working on become a japanese translator and start my own scan group, but I was wandering do you guys like Dubbed anime or japanese? Also if you like your manga better translated or raw??
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Definitely subbed animes, the voice actors, whether they are from America, Germany or whatever, can not keep up with the Seiyuus.
Concerning manga, my Japanese is not good enough yet to read mangas completely raw, so i prefer translated.
 

Shabozz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yea same here I'm still practicing and I do agree with you on that although sometimes it's not so bad for dubbed it all depends on what your watching
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Knowing the language, my preference is the original raw format for both anime and manga; sometimes things in Japanese just doesn't "feel" right when translated into English. Nevertheless I will take what I can so I'm not completely averse to watching subs and reading scans. (However, I'm not a fan of official translations done by publishing companies and dubs because they often make changes that I feel are unnecessary.)
 

Shabozz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's true I agree and understand. I'm actually trying to learn Japanese on my own so I can read the draws and also do a little translating. To be honest I would love to just watch the show in Japanese because to me it sounds a lot better and flows smoothly with the show.
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Because my Japanese skill is actually bad (which is why I'm studying it now), obviously I'd prefer a translated manga and subbed anime (not dubbed, I hate dubbed series because I want to listen to the original seiyuu's voices!). I'm not studying Japanese for manga and anime, honestly speaking. I did it because I want to know the language and be able to use it in real life chances because I wish I can go to Japan one day. Of course, manga and anime can be helpful in a way. I'm nowhere with kanji so reading raw manga in Japanese is out of question, but while listening to words, phrases, or sentences in anime and J-drama I can add bit more vocabularies or see how grammars I'm studying are put in action, even though it might not be 100% accurate to the original meaning in Japanese. That's fun in its own way. XD
 

Shabozz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
True I agree I actually always wanted to learn not because of the manga but I love learning the history and culture of different countries. Throughout high school I studied Spanish and took it in college as well liked it a lot. Now I'm gradually making my way over back to Japanese to learn of their culture and how things were back then and etc. What really made me want to learn is when I bought my first manga which was vagabond. I don't know if the samurai and wars was like that back then but still I think itags pretty amazing and got interested in wanting to know more of different cultures history.
 

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
302
Reaction score
140
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Subbed anime...the voice acting is like a million times better. You get A-list actors for the original Japanese, English dubs the quality of voice acting is usually so low. The only exception is Ghibli films since they get top American actors to do their films, so I enjoy these in English.

Manga...any literary source is better in its original language. Regardless of the quality of the translation, there will always be something lost. However I don't know a lick of Japanese, so I read translations.
 

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i am not sure if this is the right thread, but i started watching the uncut dvd version of yu yu hakusho the other day, i had not seen tthe show since it aired on cartoon network

i rememnered liking it, but its a very good show, i cant wait to finish it
 

Shabozz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes I agree even with top notch translating it will feel like something is missing or lost because you don't get the full effect of the anime/manga that you have an interest in.
 
Top