Cleaning - Manga auto cleaning program | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cleaning Manga auto cleaning program

rankgain

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
=/ The file is gone after lack of downloads.

stringman520

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll repost it shortly and update the link on the OP. Sorry about the lack of updates recently, I have been working a lot recently. I have updated it since the last version that was posted, although the rotation aspect of things, I had a really hard time with the math to determine correct rotation amounts based upon a frame. As it turned out, the math turned out to be very simple.

EDIT: It works on its own if you just have Java. The intention of the program is to work independently of Photoshop or any other graphics software, but have the aspects of it that you use for Editing.

devinlane

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting, do you intend to implement redrawing features, or will this just handle the automatic parts, like leveling and curves?

infyquest

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
where can we get the source code?

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
Devin Lane said:
Interesting, do you intend to implement redrawing features, or will this just handle the automatic parts, like leveling and curves?
Some redrawing features, as much as is identifiable programmatically. The general problem with that is a lot of it is subjective. If someone who has a graphics background but has ideas on redrawing algorithms, I would be more than willing to try out different ideas. For what is not possible programmatically, I plan on trying to give user interface tools to try and speed it up. The idea behind this program is to provide a graphic tool for manga Manga Editors to speed up the process. If there is some tool that would be useful, let me know.

infyquest said:
where can we get the source code?
If you want the source code, I was going to share it out, but as of right now, I haven't sufficiently commented it. I want to get through the batch processing before I really go through and update it, but after that I will share out the code to whomever is interested.

EDIT: OP Updated with updated link

devinlane

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
stringman520 said:
Some redrawing features, as much as is identifiable programmatically. The general problem with that is a lot of it is subjective. If someone who has a graphics background but has ideas on redrawing algorithms, I would be more than willing to try out different ideas. For what is not possible programmatically, I plan on trying to give user interface tools to try and speed it up. The idea behind this program is to provide a graphic tool for manga Manga Editors to speed up the process. If there is some tool that would be useful, let me know.
Well, when I do editing, I use the clone, brush, and primitive drawing tools in Photoshop. These seem pretty hard to implement in the same level of usability that the ones in Photoshop have.

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
Brush will be very easy, there are actually java classes for brush, its just a matter of correctly programming the brush characteristics. As I've said in the opening post, I'm not familiar with graphics programs, so clone and primitive drawing tools I'm not sure about. What are those?

EDIT: I just realized reading through the posts that I hadn't posted since I finished the auto rotation aspects. As of right now, you can view the frame by going to the view menu and show frame. the frame is editable by dragging the corners to wherever the edge of the frame is. Then once that is in a suitable location, you can do 1 of 3 things, clean outside of the frame, rotate the image to make it straight, or reset the image to the frame (this will get rid of all the whitespace, if you cleaned outside the frame).

infyquest

Reaction score
Country
India
I will help with commenting out as i am an expert in voodoo programming and debugging.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here are some suggestions.

1) Ability to select where the Frame is if the Autoclear doesn't get the right things.
2) Redrawing the frame lines so they're straight lines, (possibly a curve at the corners for smoothness sake)
3) Auto clear text in bubbles, the easiest way would be to let the user select a bubble, and have the computer find all the edges and white out the inside, I believe.

I think those three might be pretty useful. Other things to consider whenever you get there are allowing users to import grey palettes (like the ones they use in photoshop), the basic tools, (brush, pencil, clone stamp tool (you select a x pixel wide circle, and then when you brush another area it brushes with whatever's in the x pixel wide circle), fill, various selection tools, layers).

Among all those, I think the basic tools and layers are the most important.

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
infyquest said:
I will help with commenting out as i am an expert in voodoo programming and debugging.
Okay, I'll work on getting it out possibly tonight.

zindryr said:
Here are some suggestions.

1) Ability to select where the Frame is if the Autoclear doesn't get the right things.
2) Redrawing the frame lines so they're straight lines, (possibly a curve at the corners for smoothness sake)
3) Auto clear text in bubbles, the easiest way would be to let the user select a bubble, and have the computer find all the edges and white out the inside, I believe.

I think those three might be pretty useful. Other things to consider whenever you get there are allowing users to import grey palettes (like the ones they use in photoshop), the basic tools, (brush, pencil, clone stamp tool (you select a x pixel wide circle, and then when you brush another area it brushes with whatever's in the x pixel wide circle), fill, various selection tools, layers).

Among all those, I think the basic tools and layers are the most important.
1 is already implemented. The program tries to figure out where the frame is based upon where the first non white pixel is from the borders, but then you can modify it. The one change I think I'll need to make to this is in the case of a RAW with complete black edges, it will need to clear out that area and then reevaluate. I've found in the case of really crappy raws, the user will pretty much have to select the frame, as the program never gets it right.

2 will be implemented in the panel selection and redrawing phase of this, which will be after the batch mode. When all the panels are selected, there will be a redraw edges feature, which will basically be an edge traversal algorithm, so if they're curved, or straight, dependent on the manga, it'll redraw everything.

I've actually thought of a way to do the auto clear text, which is exactly the way you suggested.

Now, with the normal Photoshop tools. This has been a debate of mine. Do I want to redo the functionality that already exists in Photoshop? At first I was thinking no, because this program works off of standard image files, and so any work needed to be done in Photoshop, still can be done. Now I've been thinking of reimplementing it. The various tools I don't believe will be that hard to implement, the layers will be quite a task however.

Java has some built in functionality for combining of buffered images given a transparency component, which is what would be necessary, but since I'm working with and saving to standard image formats, it would probably only be possible to have those while working in the program. To create a custom image type would limit the effectiveness of this program.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah, I see 1) now. I didn't think to use the View list to find the edit frame in there. Also, is there a possibility to select multiple frames so you can have it clear outside of all of them?

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's the next part, the panel selection. The frame selection is used to rotate the page. The panel selection will do two things, it will redraw the borders and it will be used to completely clean anything that's not in the panel. The frame is only definable as 4 points, where as the panel you will be able to add points to the panel, in the case that its not a quadrilateral. I will also put in a sort of edge detection where it will try and determine the pieces of the panel, in the case of a panel which has a text bubble or some other graphic sticking out of it, to manually go through and add every point will be annoying.

waldo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
KUDOS!!! you are a brilliant man... keep the ideas up!!! :)

Majcal

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi. I found your effort very appreciable. I would like to suggest some things can become useful:

1] making program that "thinks" like human is very hard because they lack on "global understanding" of the environment (in this case the image)

2] if u are taking the way of making compromise and planning on adding some human interaction probably will be easier to create some kind of script that can do the same things directly inside photoshop (i think it's the defacto standard for this kind of thing).
- u can solve the problem about interoperability (photoshop accept javascript/applescript/vbscritp)
- u already have all the function implemented in photoshop usable (like levels, layers, clone brush, ecc ecc)
- i think it's not impossible apply some kind of more complex human interaction
- if u like to use many complex mathematical functions i think the program will became really slower (in the end it's not compiled at all, so u can guess this easily), but with multicore platform maybe thinks can turn better
- the documentation about the scripting on "indesign" could be found on adobe site, i think even the one concerning photoshop id freely available.
- a very great thing will be have the "developer" version of photoshop and with that u can realize real compiled "plugin" to use. But i think this is really hard to realize something good in medium time (i saw the developer version of indesign and this thing have a 6month learning curve only to start making real plugin works).
- please take our time to evaluate this possibility. i tell u not for my personal glory but for the will to help u don't waste many energies on a java program that will need many more "work from scratch" to add basic functions.

I hope for u to make a great program.

chvis002

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I just want to say that the auto level funktion is perfect when i comes to HQ raws. It's lightyears ahead of photoshops version!

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
About the leveling, thanks a lot. I just wanted to let everyone know that this project isn't dead, I've just been quite busy lately with work/holidays/Final Fantasy XII, so I really haven't had time to put any significant amount of time into it. Now that holidays are over, and I'm very close to finishing FFXII, I will be devoting myself to this project again.

rankgain

Reaction score
Country
United States
stringman520 said:
About the leveling, thanks a lot. I just wanted to let everyone know that this project isn't dead, I've just been quite busy lately with work/holidays/Final Fantasy XII, so I really haven't had time to put any significant amount of time into it. Now that holidays are over, and I'm very close to finishing FFXII, I will be devoting myself to this project again.
Excellent! Good luck with the project! Now that I think about it, I should probably start playing my FFXII again...

stringman520

Reaction score
Country
United States
rankgain said:
Excellent! Good luck with the project! Now that I think about it, I should probably start playing my FFXII again...
Yeah, its quite a bitch, especially being a perfectionist, needing to get everything.[br]Posted on: January 03, 2007, 11:34:55 AM_________________________________________________Okay, after a long hiatus, I'm back on this project. You should be expecting an update in the next few days with full batch support of current applications, which should really help with auto leveling and other things. I was considering for a while dropping the project and redesigning it as more of a Photoshop plugin, but I don't know the beginnings of any of that, and being a realist, I wouldn't want to devote the time to figure it out and create everything. This should be used in addition to Photoshop, to help with the more repetitive, menial tasks associated with cleaning and Editing a manga.

rankgain

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, thought this was dead. >.> I know I would have gave up. Sounds so difficult. But keep up the good work, man! :)

venicia777

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The download link is down. This program should help in training new members for my group.

Can you kindly re up the mirror? Thanks a lot. i just want to try it out.