Discussion Manga/Comic from your childhood....

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The sole reason i learn how to read is because of manga/comics..
some of them are more well known than other. This list included those that i began to read from the age of 5 to 12, some are more well known than other:

-one piece (8 years old at the time it began)
-Doraemon and many works from Fujiko F. Fujio
-detective conan and yaiba
-sailor moon, one or so volume (the girls are kawaii to me back then XD) -dragon ball (super huge back in the day)
-dragon quest dais adventure and dragon quest emblem of Roto, -Yu-Gi-Oh(was huge too, years before it even got to America).......
-Black Jack, Cyborg 009, Saint Seiya
-Dr. Slump (is as good as south park to me back in the day)
-Pocket Monster (so funny the main hero is a Clefairy and not pikachu)
-Rakudai Ninja Rantarō (funny ninja academic series)


comics:
-Adventures of Tin Tin
-Lucky Luke (European comic portraying USA wild west) (totally love it)
-Old Master Q (a funny chinese comic)
-Voltron


Well, the whole reason i post this thread is that there are three manga series that was really popular in vietnam in my childhood eventhough it may published in japanese way earlier than that.. But i found almost no information on them on the web despite their popularity.. so i wonder if anyone of you still remember them or have read them already:

-Kattobi Itto (a funny soccer manga that probably rival the modern "whistle" manga series..)
-Orewa Teppei (a funny kenpo manga series)
-Captain Kid (one of my favorite sailor/pirate theme manga, the epic adventure may even rival that of one piece)


It took me forever to find out their name in English. There was another series i vaguely remember about high school gangster like theme, one of the scene i remember was a huge gathering of hobos (if anyone know what i am talking about please PM me if you know what the title of it is)

So did you guys read any of those series.. and what is you childhood manga/comic list... :)
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Hmm, I wasn't a huge fan of comics back when I was young. I did collect as much Doraemon series as I could though they are all gone now, borrowed by my cousins and nvr seen again. :XD

Besides that, I suppose I read Archie and Garfield. That's pretty much it. :paperbag
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hmm, I wasn't a huge fan of comics back when I was young. I did collect as much Doraemon series as I could though they are all gone now, borrowed by my cousins and nvr seen again.
Yeah, i know how you feel, i am very generous with my collection and i marked all my manga with special mark.. But some people riped it off and put there own mark on it as prof that it was there :mad..
 

bebekhappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
226
Reaction score
5
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
uwaah...haven't see Captain Kid pics for a long time, i remember having one or two volumes for that, i really like Kid's sword design but now it's lost together with my complete DBZ and 13 volumes of Tekken Chinmi (Kung Fu Boy in Indonesia) collection and my sister's Doraemon.After that comes a couple series of Atom/Astro Boy, Gon, Zoids, and Kung Fu Tao.
As for comics, some Asterixs comics and Disney's like Donald Duck.
I lost all of them cause i was too careless at that time, as elementary boy i lending them to friends or cousins, without every single of it ever come back to me at the end just like Azurel did.

I feel kinda sad now, remembering how i have to cry to my mom just to have her bought those to me when they released them here...i'm having a thought about recollecting them all again since i take a good care of my collection now (OP, Bleach, Shaman King, Naruto, Rave, etc).I believe our publisher here still have the stocks for DBZ, but not quite sure for Captain Kid, i don't even see any rent place here that have a complete series.
 

Houjou

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2007
Messages
1,177
Reaction score
332
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mongolia
Crayon Shin-chan, my first manga. I was like 6 or 7 years old and I didn't even know what "manga" was :)
 

Emy

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
411
Reaction score
15
Gender
Hidden
Country
Brazil
Doraemon, Gegege no Kintaro(not sure about the tittle) and... hmmmm... I can't remember the name but was some shojo ballerine manga ^^; and others that I can't remember either ~.~;;

edit: I forgot to tell the comics not from Japan that I was reading on childhood @_@
lol....

Turma da Monica
Menino Maluquinho
Alegria (well not exactly a comic... but... a colorbook w/ comics? @_@ )
Os Trapalhões
Disney comics like Mickey, Donald, etc...
 
Last edited:

Az3r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
72
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Doraemon, Kung Fu Boy (Tekken Chinmi), Atom/Astro Boy, and Dragon Ball. Those are about some titles I read in my childhood that I can remember. I read some Chinese comics too back in the day, mainly Wong Yuk Lung's comics (Dragon Tiger Gate and some other titles that I forget what the English title were).
 

bunshindattebayo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
694
Reaction score
112
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Mostly Doraemon and Dragon Ball.
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
uwaah...haven't see Captain Kid pics for a long time, i remember having one or two volumes for that, i really like Kid's sword design but now it's lost together with my complete DBZ and 13 volumes of Tekken Chinmi (Kung Fu Boy in Indonesia) collection and my sister's Doraemon.After that comes a couple series of Atom/Astro Boy, Gon, Zoids, and Kung Fu Tao.
As for comics, some Asterixs comics and Disney's like Donald Duck.
I lost all of them cause i was too careless at that time, as elementary boy i lending them to friends or cousins, without every single of it ever come back to me at the end just like Azurel did.
yeah me too, so do you remember what year does captain Kid publish?

I feel kinda sad now, remembering how i have to cry to my mom just to have her bought those to me when they released them here...i'm having a thought about recollecting them all again since i take a good care of my collection now (OP, Bleach, Shaman King, Naruto, Rave, etc).I believe our publisher here still have the stocks for DBZ, but not quite sure for Captain Kid, i don't even see any rent place here that have a complete series.
sad really, It was good series..

Doraemon, Kung Fu Boy (Tekken Chinmi), Atom/Astro Boy, and Dragon Ball. Those are about some titles I read in my childhood that I can remember. I read some Chinese comics too back in the day, mainly Wong Yuk Lung's comics (Dragon Tiger Gate and some other titles that I forget what the English title were).
hey, do you remember a series that feature pool game... I think it chinese, and there was one that feature the twelve zodiac with martial art and stuffs, I don't remember those title since i only have a few volumes and not the entire set when i was young.. I left most of them behind before coming to the USA

Mostly Doraemon and Dragon Ball.
typical answer, yeah the good old day before they went Z .. :)
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
@weixiaobao: Do you mean Saint Seiya when you talk about the 12 Zodiac?
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
no no .. saint seiya is also an old series.. well i meant 12 chinese zodiac.. and it may not be a manga series maybe chinese comic ...
 

bebekhappy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
226
Reaction score
5
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
@weixiaobao : i've checked it, it was first published in 1993 in Japan, and 1994 here, so yeah i was probably 11-12 yo too when i read this :D.it was completed in 13 volumes and worked by Hiroshi Uno i've looked in mangaupdates for some info about this manga and mangaka but no luck :(.

note : i reread a couple volumes, and i'm excited when i read the name of Kid's sword is Black Lightning:smile-big.It really nice to have some of your childhood memories back :woo
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@weixiaobao : i've checked it, it was first published in 1993 in Japan, and 1994 here, so yeah i was probably 11-12 yo too when i read this :D.it was completed in 13 volumes and worked by Hiroshi Uno i've looked in mangaupdates for some info about this manga and mangaka but no luck :(.

note : i reread a couple volumes, and i'm excited when i read the name of Kid's sword is Black Lightning:smile-big.It really nice to have some of your childhood memories back :woo
:scry .. i no longer have any volumes .. anyway are they in Indonesian or English? I wonder if we could spark enough interest for a Edited Manga group to pick up this series..
 

admirenkiwi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
463
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
hmm wasnt a comic freak when i was little...
but i would say i started with sailormoon, dragonballz, scorcerer hunters, ranma, inu-yasha...i think thats it O_O
 

Az3r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
72
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
hey, do you remember a series that feature pool game... I think it chinese, and there was one that feature the twelve zodiac with martial art and stuffs, I don't remember those title since i only have a few volumes and not the entire set when i was young.. I left most of them behind before coming to the USA
I don't recall I've read something like that. Sorry...

Then again, maybe it's released in Indonesia, but I don't have the chance to get it. There was an independent publisher in Indonesia that likes to pick up Chinese comics but their releases are rarely available in my hometown at that time. Sadly they are broke many years ago. I remember reading one of their releases, I think it was Chinese comics (can't remember the title), it features Ken from Street Fighter together with Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star! I don't really care about it at that time, but now that I think again, it's kind of awesome, though still strange nonetheless. :p
 

Gumx2

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me to old days, even I'm not tht old(yet) .. I started reading manga when I was 5 .. I stole my uncle's Doraemon and read it secrectly .. lol .. what a naughty boy I am, XD
 

beta

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 9, 2008
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
childhood you said? definitely doraemon. when i grow up a bit more dragon balls
 

Emily00

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
85
Reaction score
19
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I was... and still am a big Sailor Moon fan, so much that IRL I own the japanese mangas and read them (to the best of my current japanese ability) a lot still. I also was a DBZ fan too, watched all the episodes and read all the manga but I don't own em. :P
 

n8starr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2006
Messages
132
Reaction score
11
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I actually never got into manga till just recently, mostly american comics here. I think the first manga i really got was One Piece or a korean manwha, Ragnarok. From there it branched out to a lot of different ones, like Gintama, Doraemon, and others. I wish i would have been priviliged to read doraemon when i was a kid, from the english chapters i've read it would have been something i would have loved! As for comics from my childhood, I used to read Archie, Sonic The Hedgehog, Richie Rich, and any related to these... it was mostly cartoons for me tho...
 

3TimesAsAnonymous

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
When I was younger I didn't really like comics at all, and didn't know what manga was.

When Shonen jump came out in America, that was when I first started getting interested in anime and manga. Stuff like Naruto, and DBZ were in it at the time.
 
Top