Discussion Manga/Comic from your childhood....

LaughingMan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, just like 3 Times I didn't really read manga when I was younger. However my mother did bring me home a volume of Pocket Monsters when I was young because I was into the anime. That was when I first started researching manga, and I got heavily interested in Naruto. Although I loved it back then, I detest both of them now and wouldn't recommend them to anyone lol. I guess times change eh?
 

No_Comxxx

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
226
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
well DBZ(since kindergarten until-junior high),Chinmi tekken and Doraemon.......
 

TheGenius

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2007
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Non-Jap:

Ronin Warriors - Pretty cool anime, I think it was not Japanese though...
3 Musketeers(Jap-anime retake)
Rémi( A sad, sad story) - An orphan child that goes around cities to do shows with his master, everybody ends up dying around him....tragic.
Samurai Pizza Cats - Funny stuff
Gargoyles
Iznogood the pirate - French Bande-Dessiné or comic if you like
Robo Grandizer - Classic of classics for the meccha genre
Astro - That little robot made me cry....I wonder when they will do a rerun or a 200? version
Turtle Ninjas - Enough said

Jap:

Saint Seya
DB, DBZ etc...
Sailor Moon
Yuyu Hakusho
City Hunter
Mega Dragon & Tiger - My actual avatar! A chinese man hua.
Akira - I was scared shitless of the movie and the books!

Except for Sailor Moon & DBZ, I only read the mangas, never watched the actual series since I live in Canada, and I could not find them...

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of them.
 

Yabe

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Messages
595
Reaction score
836
Gender
Hidden
Country
Italy
Like this old thread!

@weixiaobao: we share our childhood favourites! :tem Kattobi Itto was so funny. I also had a crush on Captain Kid, which I think was what made me pick One Piece without much hesitation (pirates story's stucked in the heart).

I never read DB/Sailor Moon/Yaiba manga, only kept watching the anime for a long time. Yuu Yuu Hakusho was the first manga I read, and that was maybe in one of the middle years of school grades. Then though they came a lot of Shoujo works by Emiko Sugi, Saito Chiho, Masami Takaushi, Masami Hoshino & Kitagawa Miyuki... perhaps so much that I was overfed, my taste's completely changed in the present days...
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Like this old thread!

@weixiaobao: we share our childhood favourites! :tem Kattobi Itto was so funny. I also had a crush on Captain Kid, which I think was what made me pick One Piece without much hesitation (pirates story's stucked in the heart).

I never read DB/Sailor Moon/Yaiba manga, only kept watching the anime for a long time. Yuu Yuu Hakusho was the first manga I read, and that was maybe in one of the middle years of school grades. Then though they came a lot of Shoujo works by Emiko Sugi, Saito Chiho, Masami Takaushi, Masami Hoshino & Kitagawa Miyuki... perhaps so much that I was overfed, my taste's completely changed in the present days...

:worship ... wonder if any Mangahelpers otaku understand what kattobi itto was about...
 

bunshindattebayo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
694
Reaction score
112
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Have anyone here read Cyborg Kurochan(11 volumes long).That manga was great and hilarious.
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Have anyone here read Cyborg Kurochan(11 volumes long).That manga was great and hilarious.
although i never watch or read it.. but i saw a clip on youtube and it looks really familiar.. kinda like sonic the hedgehog, nobody know what it was but it was everywhere on the street as merchandises and games..
 

fez5705

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 27, 2007
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I did read Kattobi Itto into the end. It was one funny manga. That was time I lived in Vietnam. My very first series were Doraemon (it is obvious), Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest: Dai's Advanture and Emblem of Roto, Nintama Rantarou (I wonder if anyone knows it), most of FUJIKO F. Fujio's work like Esper Mami. Paman, ect..

I read some Manhua and I recommend the Origami Fighters.
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I did read Kattobi Itto into the end. It was one funny manga. That was time I lived in Vietnam. My very first series were Doraemon (it is obvious), Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest: Dai's Advanture and Emblem of Roto, Nintama Rantarou (I wonder if anyone knows it), most of FUJIKO F. Fujio's work like Esper Mami. Paman, ect..

I read some Manhua and I recommend the Origami Fighters.
yeah, i've read most of your list and a lot of others but in incomplete volumes..
 

fez5705

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 27, 2007
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Then do you know the popular manhua series of the old time like the Chinese Zodiac, the story about the fate of two boys to become Emperor.
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Then do you know the popular manhua series of the old time like the Chinese Zodiac, the story about the fate of two boys to become Emperor.
no, can you give me the names..
 

hlucablight

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, it's really rare to see vietnamese in this forum. ^_^

I feel you, man. The first amnga I ever read is Doraemon and Voltron. When I was in Vietnam, I got a huge collection of manga books. However, when i moved to US, I lost my collection. In US, the sad things is that manga is not very popular, and is considered as nerds or dorky.

@weixiaobao: I know the two manga you are talking about. I dont have the corrected name. However, I have those two in my hardrive. Both in Chinese, of course. If you need, I can share them.

One strange thing, I've never heard of Captain Kid and OP when I was in Vietnam.
 

fez5705

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 27, 2007
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
hlucablight, could you show me the cover of the manga, please?
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
well, OP stand for one piece it started to release in vietnam about the same time as Yaiba which was a year before i come to the USA (so I guess during 1999-2000)

As for Captain KIdd, I bought them of the plea market in really cheap price (loose volumes not complete in order)
 

hlucablight

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, here is the picture. I think I know what i'm talking about ^_^

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/3391/smallmonk01001nixriym1yi9.jpg

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6738/zmtianzi16001in7.jpg

The serie "the story about the fate of two boys to become Emperor" is called "Cau Be De Vuong" and Truyentranh.com have almost finished scanlate them. So you can find it there.

I've lived in VN until 2002. Still, I never heard of OP or Captain Kid

ABout Origami Fighters, currently there are 4 volumes scanlated by some vietnamese ( LQ though ). The rest, you can find it in CHinese easily. Kattobi Itto, you can find them on vuilen.com. They have the whole thing in LQ
 
Last edited:

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hate LQ :( i rather buy them if convenience than LQ
hmm i never heard of Emperor, as for one piece when i left it already in 10 or 11 volumes
About captain Kidd is much older than that (Dong Nai publisher I believe) ..

I used to have a collection of Doreamon and Detective Conan (but people borrowed and never return it)
 
Top