Manga Idea

ShirubiaLamperouge

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
387
Reaction score
50
Gender
Female
Country
New Zealand
Right so I have a... Slightly odd idea for a manga. It started with a sketch of an octopus with a top hat and expanded from there.

I have three characters so far:
Nemoto Kazuki who's fifteen, manipulative and a little evil to start off with, and wants to become a chef.
Yue, a girl who looks about fifteen but is actually a fish accidentally changed into a human.
The octopus, actually a scientist who was transformed when an experiment went wrong and is unable to change himself back.

The story starts with Kazuki tracking down the octopus (haven't thought of a name for him yet) because he's heard there's something the octopus has been working on that can bestow him with special abilities (in this case relating to cooking). The octopus refuses to give it to him, and a fight ensues, Kazuki pulling out sushi knives and such like. In this fight Kazuki accidentally breaks a case containing a fish. When it falls out of the case, the fish glows and changes into a girl, who then vanishes. The octopus is extremely distressed by this, and tells Kazuki that it is essential the girl is returned to him, and that he will give him the elixir he's been working on if Kazuki agrees to help.

Meanwhile Yue shows up not too far away, and is taken in by a lady. A few months pass and then when no one is able to work out where she came from, it's decided to leave her staying with the woman who took her in, and to start her at school. She winds up, inevitably, at the same school as Kazuki, who then begins to try and work out how to capture her. She also gets a crush on him.

Here's some pics of Yue:

This is all rather work in progress, I'm a bit dubious about some of the details and they are liable to change at any time.
 

Theorangefox

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 19, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
4
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I like the idea of this, but i'm not an artist or anything i'm trying to get help with my own manga idea.

I can imagine this being a comical romance story which could get really funny with the right kind of ideas, you should consider more characters since this is based on a school, maybe even have a weird teacher who is known for being strange or something. The only thing I have a problem with is the fact that the girl just dissapears after crashing out of the case. Did she run away or something? You need to explain this. Other than that, keep updating your idea and see where it goes from here.

What I was thinking of for a plot instead is that maybe Kazuki is an apprentice chef studying under this octopus guy but he has a cooking exam coming up that will determine wherever he passess to learn how to become a professional chef or to restart his entire year of training at a small chef academy, the exam involves him preparing a dish by scratch which will be tasted by professionals who will grade his dish. He has to use one of his recipes he knows himself but all the recipe's Kazuki knows by heart are no good. The night before the exam Kazuki finds a really good recipe belonging to the octopus guy in his kitchen on a high shelf, he tries to take it down but accidentally knocks down the case containing the fish which transforms into a girl. She makes a lot of noise disturbing the octopus guy who comes downstairs only to find that his precious fish has escaped after the girl runs away. Kazuki is immediately given a fail on the exam and must restart his year at chef academy, this is where he meets Yue and it all starts from there.

that's just a suggestion you don't have to go with it! :D
 
Last edited:

Suzume Fujida

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 22, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I liked Fox's suggestion n.n The story sounds great, for me. I guess you're gonna introduce some other character, giving more variety to the story~

Well, I guess you need to work a little bit on the art -I'm not an expert, obviously >D-, the neck of the right draw is too thin, and in the profile view, the nose is too big for a girl like that, and the eyes would look better if they were a bit further from the nose. But I liked the other two drawings n.n -although the design looks very basic, but that's good sometimes >D-

I actually don't like very much the "school time" kind of manga, generally -just a couple ones-. But this one seems to be interesting! ^v^ I'd like to see it drawn!
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The setup with the fish girl and that scientist who works on an elixir kind of reminded me of Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea.Other than that,i kind of like it and i'm looking forward to more.
 
Top