Hangout Manga Wars 2017 - Hangout

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Fan service tends to be an actual turn off for me - it's probably why I like manga like FMA and Vagabond that much.

I mean, a cheeky reference here or there is ok. In some mangas, however, it's hard to see what's happening in the scene, between crotch/arse/tit shots taking up most of the free space on each page.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Idk, maybe I see it the wrong way as well, but those fan servicing/waifu/husbando arguments imo is more for the gag aspect of it than a serious thing xD I personally don't appreciate those in the series and agree with you there (altho some use of fan servicing can end up as quite epic and make me super hyped), but I join the trains in events 'cause comparing those works and characters overall is simply damn fun. But I could be very wrong about how other people in here feels about it and be somewhat alone as well '-'
I think it's both. Heck knows I'm not trying to suggest people actually think boobs are more important than good writing, art and characters, and I know most people just use for a gag (which is why I really like those people's posts as well, they're often really funny). I just can't even really get into that mindset, even if it's just for joke purposes.

It's one of my many flaws. But I hear flawed characters are the best kinds of characters so. :hip
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Fan service tends to be an actual turn off for me - it's probably why I like manga like FMA and Vagabond that much.

I mean, a cheeky reference here or there is ok. In some mangas, however, it's hard to see what's happening in the scene, between crotch/arse/tit shots taking up most of the free space on each page.


(Gonna post nothing but gifs from now on. This is me getting character development.)
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
(Gonna post nothing but gifs from now on. This is me getting character development.)


It's a shame that so many mangaka's fall into this quagmire though - it means a load of the manga in this comp (those I have at least heard of), I have quickly dismissed due to the first few chapters being more focused on the character's 'assets' than the character's background/personality.

It's far easier to draw readers in with soft-core porn than through interesting writing.

Either that, or they started out strong (Naruto + Bleach, as prime examples) then quickly (and catastrophically) fell off the rails and wrote story just as a pathway to awesome looking panels, rather than for the sake of the story itself.

I'd much rather Musashi's farming simulator than yet another magic fucking tree. Or any more 'epic' Uchiha Senju romance bull.
Naruto was so much better before it became about the Uchiha (whilst Itachi was still an interesting character)...
Fuck!

Now I am angry again...

Gotta calm down, gotta calm down...

 

The President

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 18, 2016
Messages
785
Reaction score
2,437
Age
31
Country
Canada
Ha, top my salt? You clearly obsessed with Seinen and big men with small hands, maybe that's why you got your handle nyah~
Big men with small hands are more entertaining to watch then foodporn, as is regular porn. If you like food so much, why dont you just go make some yourself? You'll have a blast.

Well, Vagabond is about a homeless dude so yeah, he's pretty forgettable.
At least he isnt overshadowed by the food hes cooking.

Looks like a 12 year olds fanfiction drawing. Over the top much?

Here's what Eishi thinks of Beserk:
He does kinda look like someone who reads Ecchi novels to pass the time.

Is that the best you can do? :lmao The level of disappointment I get from this is probably the same Vagabond and HxH fans get with the hiatuses lol. You do realise SnS got knocked out of the Manga Wars right? So you're literally just taking the bait I laid out at this point.
My aim is not has gone beyond just arguing for a series, at this point I'm just gonna put one of the worst concepts in manga history on full blast. At least Toriko incorporated fighting, SnS is worse then a cooking manual. The fact that it even has a fanbase is shocking, but I suppose thats why it lost to a series that about to loose to another series with 54 chapters.
 

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,838
Reaction score
16,778
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Big men with small hands are more entertaining to watch then foodporn, as is regular porn. If you like food so much, why dont you just go make some yourself? You'll have a blast.



At least he isnt overshadowed by the food hes cooking.



Looks like a 12 year olds fanfiction drawing. Over the top much?



He does kinda look like someone who reads Ecchi novels to pass the time.



My aim is not has gone beyond just arguing for a series, at this point I'm just gonna put one of the worst concepts in manga history on full blast. At least Toriko incorporated fighting, SnS is worse then a cooking manual. The fact that it even has a fanbase is shocking, but I suppose thats why it lost to a series that about to loose to another series with 54 chapters.

Is this the type of content that got you nominated for stuff like most high quality poster? I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually read better stuff from part of Fairy Tail's Alvarez Arc. What you're saying isn't even able to be laughed at, its that poor. You've just had a glance into the world of SnS and now you're commenting like you're an expert only to make yourself look denser than a shounen protagonist.

"One of the worst concepts in manga history" isn't even funny, can your taste actually be that terrible that you can't appreciate something that's not gritty like your Seinens? If looking stupid was your aim then you've succeeded because SnS takes the idea of cook-offs which are entertaining in their own right (see shows like Iron Chef for example) and turns it into a lively and very enjoyable experience.

Thanks for your salt Monty, even though it isn't that great.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Don't feel bad @Organizized .

Your not wrong to look at manga like you do. You appreciate it with you brain. I respect that about you. We do that too, to varying degrees. But we also appreciate it with our hearts (and...lower things:cheez) and that can be every bit as important. My point here is that manga can be appreciated on many levels and in many ways. The more cerebral aspects are certainly important but when you get down to it so is anything that makes us love reading it.

Also...

It's all kind of a moot point because every "quality" series in this contest is inferior to Tower of God. If this was the Manga AND Manhwa awards it would be rollin' all these chumps.
 
Last edited:

Static

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
5,918
Reaction score
10,237
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India

Is this the type of content that got you nominated for stuff like most high quality poster? I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually read better stuff from part of Fairy Tail's Alvarez Arc. What you're saying isn't even able to be laughed at, its that poor. You've just had a glance into the world of SnS and now you're commenting like you're an expert only to make yourself look denser than a shounen protagonist.

"One of the worst concepts in manga history" isn't even funny, can your taste actually be that terrible that you can't appreciate something that's not gritty like your Seinens? If looking stupid was your aim then you've succeeded because SnS takes the idea of cook-offs which are entertaining in their own right (see shows like Iron Chef for example) and turns it into a lively and very enjoyable experience.

Thanks for your salt Monty, even though it isn't that great.
At least he has good taste, unlike a certain someone. :kappa
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Tower of God is indeed much better than most of the nominations :nod.

There are old anime with plenty of fanservice too like Ranma, City Hunter, Urusei Yatsura etc.
Akira also is good.


I am surprised no one nominated Inuyasha.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
18,572
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Akira also is good.
Akira is great, but it really isn't the same kind of thing as any of the manga on this list.

Also, as much as I do enjoy it, it really isn't a manga for everyone.

For those who did enjoy the film, but haven't read the manga, know that the film is only really the first bit of Akira - it really doesn't represent the manga as a whole.
 
Top