Marvel Comics Discussion Thread!

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Runaways is amazing, pick it up right away.

And lastly, to back up my statement, since when has continuity flowed? Black Bolt was an empty Shell at the end of Silent War, how exactly did his wife stand beside him when he faced Hulk? Namor is presumably dead and fighting Tony Stark, and yet he appears in Hulk and Fallen son much alive, but not participating.

Endangered species is supposed to be going on but Hulk is raping the X-mansion, Spidey is losing to female gladiators from Sakaar, and yet he's fighting Kingpin.

Don't give me the continuity argument, it's self defeating.
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Ok we both now that Amazing Spiderman is far ahead of World War Hulk. From there we can safely assume that Spiderman comes out of the Kingpin fight relatively scratch free.

Oh Runaways is really amazing and I owe refii a lot for uploading it for me. Its the greatest comic, download it and then buy it. Seriously buy it.

Back to the arguement; Fallen Son was taken before WWH before too. In fact Stark gave the same speech back in like Captain America two months ago.

All the X-men storylines are in the past. Notice that Rouge and Mystique and other of Rouges team members were missing from the fight?

Only one I have no answer too is Blackbolt's title. Though I wouldn't stress about that too much. I'm 100% sure that its on its own continuency then Marvel's. I mean remember Ares's special series? In the end of that he was supposed to have given up his mortal identity but then in Mighty Avengers he's back at it for no apparant reason. Its something called retconning that happens alot when no reasonable answer is given.


Now the reason I assume Runaways is after Spidey (and before Word War Hulk) is that Kingpin was in jail for the longest time. He met the Runaways after they ran away from Stark (end of civil war) but before the world was under attack from Hulk. Spiderman has worn the Black Suit for pretty much everything after the end of Civil War though right? I mean it was the biggest news in Marvel for a while. But the only reason he begin wearing the suit is that his aunt was shot. Kingpin would not be humanly possible to escape the jail met the Runaways in a restaraunt then go back to jail just to fight spidey. Spidey's Amazing series is before all the current series because every other series has had spiderman appear in the black suit and amazing is the series he first started donning the suit.

Also the Runaways couldn't have met Kingpin after the WWH fight because they were in Manhattan and I doubt it would be rebuilt that quickly and the Runaways would have had an appearance in WWH if they were in the current timeline.

Speaking of Runaways, I can't wait for the Young Avengers World War Hulk appearances.

Anyways I think I argued my point, I may still be wrong but it would be suprising. And a bit excessive. I mean isn't Wolverine supposed to permanently kill Sabertooth this month too?
 

wrstljr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
198
Reaction score
28
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

You guys know where I can get a Runaways DL or read it online...I'd like to read it before I buy (as always).
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

They're starting a weekly series for spiderman in.. September? And it is called the day after I believe.

The title either refers to the day after he loses Aunt May, or the day after he kills. A man with a Spidey mask holding a gun is in the first issue, it is unclear if this is Peter.

Peter killing Kingpin wouldn't tarnish Spidey's name, Spiderman survives the ages and that's why we (cornily) have Spiderman 2099 and Spidergirl and Cyborg Ninja Spiderman from space or whatever they decide to create next. They 'tried' to explain this in a mini arc stating Spiderman is more than just an accident, but a mystical thing passed on through the ages, but w/e.. they're trying to create things out of nothing to (after 100 years) buff him to Superman levels of strength despite him never being meant to be that powerful.

Point is, I wouldn't mind Pete killing Kingpin, it's not Spiderman, it's like Bill says in Kill Bill Volume 2, at the end of the day, Spiderman takes off his mask and he is Peter Parker, only Superman takes off the glasses and is no longer Clark Kent. I dunno, Runaways also recently went into the past so I'm not quite sure how they'll mess up the present.
And lastly, I honestly can NOT for the life of me see The Hood being the new Kingpin while Kingpin is still alive, it's just not believable. Regardless of how cool he is.


v 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?4kentjzbbzo
http://www.mediafire.com/?9ztzepnmczh

v2
http://rapidshare.com/files/31293051/Runaways_v.2_1-5.rar
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F6SG4WP6
http://www.mediafire.com/?0nzdzm9t1dx

I deleted them from my harddrive so I can't reupload them, but these links still work as far as I can tell


My problem with the Runaways volumes is that only hardcover is full size, the paperback trade is actually a smaller book which annoys me because I want them to size up to my Ultimate Spiderman volumes not look weird when I stack them next to each other. Otherwise I would have bought them already.
 
Last edited:

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Also the paperback has the animestyle cover. It really pisses me off since its worse art then the actual book.

Also the made Nico's eyes blue instead of Brown (she's japanese!) And Gerts brown when they're green... and I since I didn't have cash to afford the hardcover...

Cool news about spidey's weekly series. I mean since its spidey it'll obviously sell but a series called the Day After ever week seems like it'll last maybe 6 issues.... I mean how long can a day get?
 

wrstljr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
198
Reaction score
28
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Thanks a lot refii!!!

Now I have to commit myself to reading this over the next few days to get up to speed.
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Ah, I just remembered:

Crazy theory explaining how Kingpin associated with Runaways despite possibly dying at the hands of Peter Parker (not Spidey) # 2

He's a skrull XD
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Oh snap! Now that theory I have no problem supporting!

It would make more sense if the Skrulls had disguised them self as villians instead of heroes. Because imagine if Iron Man was a Skrull, what would be the point of reading his private series? But if all the skrulls are villians then no series will lose fans.
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

I think we could be seeing one or two or maybe more heroes that turns out to be Skrull, but most likely they won't be the ones with their own title.
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

I change my mind on Fisk being a Skrull =[

well Amazing was nice for a change of pace. gotta keep reading it I suppose. But compared to the rest of the Marvel Universe its really really slow. I mean manga slow >.> except it comes out once a month instead of once a week.
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Yea I didn't like it, now I know he won't do it. Doesn't even match up with WWH..

sigh at least Wolverine killed Sabretooth.
I wonder if there is a blond X-23 somewhere... *fap fap fap* =p
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Hey death isn't required in a series to be decent. They killed of both Cable and Captain America in the Marvel U. And don't forget Bart Allen being dead and Wally coming back with his two kids on steriods.

But yeah Kingpin is a villian who has no powers but still manages to be dangerous. I think Spidey made a big mistake. Fisk came into power since he was always the fat kid being bullied and he just snaped and become super violent/evil. Now that he's being pushed in a corner he'll come back badder then ever. At least to the point that he'll kill a hero in my opinion.
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

But somehow i bet that Matt Murdock wish that he went Mad-Spidey on Kingpin. After all, he did messed up Matt's life. :D
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Actually there is an arc where Daredevil fights Kingpin and beats him up to a pulp and announces himself as the new "Kingpin" since he thought that if he claimed that he owned the title that no one would commit crimes in Hell's Kitchen. Unfortunately everyone actually thought that he really meant he was the new crime lord of the city and he just isolated himself some more.

Daredevil is the superhero who actually never manages to get it right. Reading the 4-part comic about his dad and I see its in his genetics xD
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Again I ask though, if Kingpin comes bad badder and more dangerous, how does the Hood take over??
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Ah, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out, manu. DD faced-off with Kingpin in #55 (or #56?) when DD, having beaten down Kingpin, claimed himself to be the Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen. :D

I think the Hood will use the momentum of Kingpin being behind bar and words got out that Spidey just showed the Kingpin the benefits of having bitten by a radioactive spider, will runi Kingpin's reputation as the Big Boss of the underworld.
 

wrstljr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
198
Reaction score
28
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Runaways was awesome

I never expected anything and it was of surprisingly great quality...Great story thus far

Thanks alot cause it was a great recommendation...
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Has anyone recommended Fables and Green Lantern yet? :D
It's just as awesome (and imo, more awesome) than Runaways. :XD
 

wrstljr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
198
Reaction score
28
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

I read GL for the most part but it seems kind of inconsistent imo....Sinestro Corps and everything is interesting though.

And I guess now ill have to give fables a try haha
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: American Comics Discussion Thread!

Fables is great when you read it all at once. However once it's over the wait generally becomes unbearable since the story moves so slowly. At least in my experience.

I can't really get into Sinestro Corps for some reason.. I was into Flash, but now he bit the dust..

I think the only series I enjoy more than Runaways are honestly Cable & Deadpool, and Avengers: Initiative
 
Top