Discussion Maschenny and Rage

Cinera

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2021
Messages
2,194
Reaction score
4,757
Age
28
Country
Nigeria
Maschenny seems to be intimately familiar with rage as an emotion.

She gives an expose on rage when she meets Jinsung on the 91st Floor:

Maschenny said:
Has it really disappeared now?

That rage of yours?

After losing the woman you loved and finding out that the reason that woman you loved had to be killed was deeply tied to the Jahad family, you gladly became one of FUG's demons.

Even if you say that rage has hardened and sunk into your mind, I don't understand how it could just fly away in the wind like that.
It gets more intense and clings to you more firmly as time passes and you recall those memories.
That's the kind of emotion rage is.


And as long as that rage lives — war can break out at any time.
Notice how she seems to understand the kind of emotion rage is on a personal level? She's perplexed that Jinsung's rage at Jahad and FUG could have vanished. Her own experience with rage suggests that it's something that gets more intense and clings to you even more firmly with time. I think this is her experience with rage, because for many people, rage does abate with time. As the saying goes, time heals all wounds.

So for Maschenny to claim that rage is something that intensifies and becomes more entrenched with time. For her to be perplexed that Jinsung's rage would have disappeared after tens of thousands of years, she must be working from personal experiences with rage?


Another scene where Maschenny talks about rage is during her monologue at the start of the Nest:

Maschenny said:
I wonder whether they'll really show up here?

What could that irregular boy possibly do here?

He may not have much power yet, but he's clearly shaking things up.

Rage will lead you into battle.
I want you to become a vast wave of anger like you've never seen before.


Because the stronger the wave, the more fun it is to destroy.
Adios translated the scene differently:
Maschenny said:
I do wonder, if they are going to come.

I wonder what the Irregular can even do here.

He may be weak, but his mere existence is shaking the board already.

Rage will bring thee to the battlefield.
Come as a raging wave hitherto unseen.


The rougher the waves, the greater splash it makes when it falls.

It seems to me like rage is something she's personally familiar with on a deep level. Either she has the kind of millennia long rage that sinks in your mind, or someone she was very close to has been possessed by rage in such a manner? I'm very curious about this; we have never once seen Maschenny angry on panel.

I feel like the rage aspect of her character is one that I've not appreciated before. If she's nurturing a grudge, against whom? Why?
 
Top