- Joined
- Mar 9, 2021
- Messages
- 2,194
- Reaction score
- 4,757
- Age
- 28
- Country
-
Disclaimer
The entirety of this post is contingent on specific translations of a few lines in the Webtoon. I am aware of an alternative translation that has very different implications from the one I'm using.
I wrote another post that was based on that alternative translation. However, I currently believe that translation is flawed as multiple sources seem to agree with the translation I use in this post.
Nevertheless, I'll update that post with information from the latest chapters if I am given reason to believe that it is indeed more accurate.
Introduction: Curiosity
At the beginning of the Nest, Maschenny expressed curiosity about Baam's potential
Exhibit
Translations courtesy of u/Pajaka:
Exhibit
Anticipation
Afterwards, Maschenny indicated a desire to face Baam in combat:
Exhibit
Translations courtesy of u/Pajaka:
Exhibit
Interlude: Monologue on Baam's Growth
After the conclusion of the battle of the 1st Wall and Baam's miracle, we see Maschenny monologue about his growth during the battle:
Exhibit
Exhibit
Exhibit A
She died with a smile on the Hidden Floor, because she could realise this dream:
Exhibit B
Interlude: "Assisting Baam"
This places a very different spin on Maschenny's actions in Chapter 502. She had one of her subordinates release the Hybrider from its jail, giving Baam a direct path to Jinsung and hence her:
Exhibit
She states that she thinks it'll be more fun if Baam reached her:
Exhibit
Some people — myself included — interpreted this to mean that Maschenny was helping Baam out. However, that wasn't necessarily the case. She was only helping Baam to reach her as she wants to personally "crush" him. She wasn't necessarily acting under any altruistic goals, or simply because their interests aligned.
Foreshadowing
If Maschenny does indeed try to crush the raging wave that is Baam, then it appears as if the outcome of that confrontation has already been foreshadowed.
Near the end of the Last Station arc, during the New Era speech, the Narrator(?) told us that Maschenny would be devoured in the tidal wave of the New Era:
Exhibit
And then the very next chapter reveals that the wave is in fact Baam:
Exhibit
This is pretty notable, given that the vast wave she seeks to destroy is the same wave that the Narrator said would devour her.
Jinsung has also cautioned Maschenny not to overestimate herself as she knows nothing of the Ancient Beasts and even less about Baam. He went on to state that none of them know Baam's potential:
Exhibit
Conclusions
Maschenny's impending confrontation with Baam seems to have been setup since the end of Season 2, and it seems to be one that she is predestined to lose.
I don't see Maschenny being defeated here (she has too many unresolved plot lines with the Zahard and Khun Families), but it does seem like sooner or later, she'll be swallowed up in the boundless tide that is Baam:
Exhibit
The entirety of this post is contingent on specific translations of a few lines in the Webtoon. I am aware of an alternative translation that has very different implications from the one I'm using.
I wrote another post that was based on that alternative translation. However, I currently believe that translation is flawed as multiple sources seem to agree with the translation I use in this post.
Nevertheless, I'll update that post with information from the latest chapters if I am given reason to believe that it is indeed more accurate.
Introduction: Curiosity
At the beginning of the Nest, Maschenny expressed curiosity about Baam's potential
Exhibit
Translations courtesy of u/Pajaka:
Or alternatively LINE:I'm curious. Whether they will actually appear here.
And to see what that irregular boy is capable of doing when he comes here.
His power is feeble for now, but it is a fact that his existence will stir up a lot of things.
Exhibit
Maschenny questions whether Baam and his allies would really challenge the Nest. She wants to see for herself — with her own eyes — what the Irregular boy is truly capable of. She comments that even though his power was still weak, his mere existence is already causing ripples throughout the Tower.I wonder whether they'll really show up here?
What could that Irregular boy possibly do here?
He may not have much power yet, but he's clearly shaking things up.
Anticipation
Afterwards, Maschenny indicated a desire to face Baam in combat:
Exhibit
Translations courtesy of u/Pajaka:
Or alternatively LINE:Your anger will lead you to the battlefield.
And you'll come back to me as an even bigger tide, bigger than any I've seen before.
The bigger the tide, the better it feels when I crush it.
Exhibit
Maschenny declares that Baam will come to the Nest. She expresses the desire for Baam to become a massive wave of anger the likes of which the Tower has never seen before. This is all so that she can have her fun crushing him. She wants to stand in front of that massive tide and break it apart.Rage will lead you to battle.
I want you to become a vast wave of anger like you've never seen before.
Because the stronger the wave, the more fun it is to destroy.
Interlude: Monologue on Baam's Growth
After the conclusion of the battle of the 1st Wall and Baam's miracle, we see Maschenny monologue about his growth during the battle:
Exhibit
And then, Maschenny has an epiphany:He seemed like a harmless little chick when he entered the Nest...
...But after letting him into the front yard...
...It turned out that he was a beast.
Exhibit
It should be noted that Maschenny herself has a long cherished ambition to fight Zahard:But for some strange reason...
...Seeing him...
...Reminds me of my Father.
Exhibit A
She died with a smile on the Hidden Floor, because she could realise this dream:
Exhibit B
Interlude: "Assisting Baam"
This places a very different spin on Maschenny's actions in Chapter 502. She had one of her subordinates release the Hybrider from its jail, giving Baam a direct path to Jinsung and hence her:
Exhibit
She states that she thinks it'll be more fun if Baam reached her:
Exhibit
Some people — myself included — interpreted this to mean that Maschenny was helping Baam out. However, that wasn't necessarily the case. She was only helping Baam to reach her as she wants to personally "crush" him. She wasn't necessarily acting under any altruistic goals, or simply because their interests aligned.
Foreshadowing
If Maschenny does indeed try to crush the raging wave that is Baam, then it appears as if the outcome of that confrontation has already been foreshadowed.
Near the end of the Last Station arc, during the New Era speech, the Narrator(?) told us that Maschenny would be devoured in the tidal wave of the New Era:
Exhibit
And then the very next chapter reveals that the wave is in fact Baam:
Exhibit
This is pretty notable, given that the vast wave she seeks to destroy is the same wave that the Narrator said would devour her.
Jinsung has also cautioned Maschenny not to overestimate herself as she knows nothing of the Ancient Beasts and even less about Baam. He went on to state that none of them know Baam's potential:
Exhibit
Conclusions
Maschenny's impending confrontation with Baam seems to have been setup since the end of Season 2, and it seems to be one that she is predestined to lose.
I don't see Maschenny being defeated here (she has too many unresolved plot lines with the Zahard and Khun Families), but it does seem like sooner or later, she'll be swallowed up in the boundless tide that is Baam:
Exhibit
Last edited: