Discussion - Meliodas | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Meliodas

TarXan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your profile picture says it all and i dont have to waste my time debating with you. Stop twisting what i am trying to tell. All i wanted to tell is that midget is not the strongest warrior like some people posted it earlier. There has to be a godesses warrior who is on par with him otherwise he can kill any godesses at will plus he has no emotion at that time. And escanor is created for a purpose . Merlin knows that escanor respects meliodas alot and he will hestitate to turn his blade against his captain. Telling meliodas to be the strongest doesnt make any sense. Its like noon escanor walking around 24/7 and where is the logic in that. He is like a time bomb which can explode anytime... estarossa shat in his pants and shouted like a woman getting raped and you are telling me he is suprised by his power??? And yes i hate meliodas , problem???
Comepletey entitled to your own opinion but you deliberately claiming you hate Mel makes it hard to take your post serious, it comes off as biased

As for Mel's stats I do personally believe he's the strongest, due to his feats so far

Taking out 2 commandments at base with no effort and erasing Fraudrin with literally 1 punch kind of speaks for itself but still believe Escanor will have the highest overall stats

But on the topic at hand I think Mel's power fluctuates, in pretty sure it's

1. Evil Full Power Mel (Estarossa flashback)
2. Defected 3,000 year war Mel (A bit weaker due to human emotions, no more curse mark on forehead)
3. Current Mel
4. Mel post Ishtar power up
5. 1st Arc Mel

I say this being because Merlin did stay everyone was 10x stronger during the war due to constant battle and Mel claiming hes still rusty after regaining his powers in Ishtar

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
For me the biggest question here is why in the world mel's power varies as much as it does. Based on what we know it goes like this:

Before the holy war meliodas was the ultimate demon worthy of succeeding the demon king.

At some point he looses some of his power and becomes as he currently is in the story (he has the same demon mark as right now when fighting alongside dolor and gloxinia against the demon army and karmadios).

The war ends and 3000 years pass. Meliodas has about 32500 PL and can increase it to about 56k with his demon mark (based on the numbers given in the databook)

Merlin takes a chance and steals most of his power which is reduced to 3370.

Merlin returns the power.

meliodas dies and his base power is 60k and my guess is that it increases to about the 100k with his demon mark.

Now, most of this is pretty clear but there are a few points that remain odd. For one thing, it is clear meliodas during the war was different from how estarosa remembered him. If anything even his personality back then is more or less the same as we have seen through most of the manga.

Now, if I had to guess is that this first apparent change in personality, appearance and perhaps even power is due to him dying. Meliodas is not a commandment at that point, though perhaps that happened recently and it is entirely possible that he had to die and come back in order to pull this off. However, unlike his current deaths rather than powering him up this one made him weaker.

Now we get to the post holy war.... We know his power decreased from about 60k to 32.5k. Which is a pretty big deal. More so, as a pure demon his lifespan should have been something like 1000. Now, assuming he died shortly before the holy war it means that by the time he joined dolor and gloxinia he was right at the start of a new cycle. And that also means he probably died about 2000 years ago, then 1000 years ago and estarosa happened to kill him at about the end of his current cycle. Unless of course he had other deaths in the meantime but that seems kinda unlikely (though not impossible).

One thing that stroke me as odd is how meliodas reacted to the demon king in purgatory. It's almost like if meliodas was surprised in a way. Not to mention that mel becoming weaker over the past 3000 years makes no sense at all given what we know. I guess it is plausible the demon king alternates between devouring mel's emotions and devouring his power... So the first times mel died he became weaker but gained emotions and now he is gaining power but loosing his emotions.

Another possibility I have considered is that meliodas perhaps used the bulk of his power 3000 years ago to seal the demon clan and get rid of the goddess clan. Basically he would have sealed them at the expense of his power and was left as a powerless shell. So time goes on and he died. And came back stronger. Then again. And again until he got back to how he is.

And then the elephant in the room.... For plot reason, meliodas kinda has to die one more time. The demon king needs to return and killing mel seems to be the way to get that done. Though his demon brethren does not seem to be familiar with this. So one more death for mel to return to his true power that made him a match to the demon king and also one more death for the demon king tor return. It's only fitting that the demon king would return when mel is at full power. So... how does mel die? In his current base form he is at least a match for zeldris and estarosa. If he uses his transformations he would vastly surpass them. If he doesn't, he would still be able to hold his ground. And then there is escanor whose true power likely dwarfs what we have seen from him up to this point in the story and the other sins are also powering up as we speak. Merlin seems to have already powered up to a point where she is easily relevant agains the commandments. I guess meliodas could be poisoned though with liz and his demon resilience this should be quite difficult. The sins being defeated does not seem to be likely at this point. Of course, the sin's victory is hardly guaranteed but given how things are developing it does seem like the commandments are slowly loosing ground given galan's defeat, fraudrin's death, merascylly going MIA (I maintain she is alive considering zaratras was a thing) and greylord being taken hostage. Not to mention zeldris, estarosa, deriere and moonspiet being at least temporarily incapacitated.

So.... the only other way I can guess meliodas will die is that he will kill himself.... Perhaps to bring about the end of the war or perhaps because he was cornered somehow and needs extra power. The goddesses are returning at some point in which case meliodas just might not be enough. The situation would basically turn into a 3 way war between the goddess clan, the sins and the commandments....

TarXan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tarxan create a conversation/thread if you wanna continue it because its off topic. Dont push me today.....
Ready when you are

Gaggen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Sure....

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Just a reminder that you should not talk about the content of the spoiler threads here. If you want to, use spoiler tags or your posts will be deleted.

TarXan

Reaction score
Country
United States
But i didnt see their faces or bruises ob their body yet. Are they defeated??? Was it stated already??? Didnt know about it.....Guys can i have the chapter where nakaba shows monspiet and derrerie post meliodas battle????
So according to your logic Monspeet and Derieri were not defeated back in Liones because they did not have bruises on their body and Nakaba didn't confirm it ?

Did Commandments no retreat after Mel defeated Fraudrin ?

http://m.mangatown.com/manga/nanatsu_no_taizai/c197/8.html

They were defeated by Meliodas is less than 1 chapter, I literally don't see why you continue to argue against that or a lot of things stated in the manga

Please enlightenment me, use evidence from the source and not emotional statements

Let's keep this civil

Gaggen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
So according to your logic Monspeet and Derieri were not defeated back in Liones because they did not have bruises on their body and Nakaba didn't confirm it ?

Did Commandments no retreat after Mel defeated Fraudrin ?

http://m.mangatown.com/manga/nanatsu_no_taizai/c197/8.html

They were defeated by Meliodas is less than 1 chapter, I literally don't see why you continue to argue against that or a lot of things stated in the manga

Please enlightenment me, use evidence from the source and not emotional statements

Let's keep this civil
*bold- some retreated before meliodas whooped their ass.... especially the most badasses ones.... . And they find it useless fighting mel because he cant die and they already figure that out so retreat was the best option to prevent casualities

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Agree with the Meliodas part. He is the best fighter, meaning has the best combat ability, in the series. Even at times when he has a lower power level, we've seen him make up for the power gap with fighting skill. Now Elizabeth could have the highest power level in the Goddes clan, with exception to noon Mael, but as Merlin says power levels aren't everything. We have not seen any type of combat ability except for standing using ark based attacks, lol. Hell, I'd take Merlin over Elizabeth in a 1v1. Merlin's got that reactions speed and natural battle sense
I am not sure how skilled he is unless you mean that he has broken skills because having an automatic passive that can deflect any magical attack that can come no matter how powerful that attack may be it's pretty freaking broken.
It is basic a cheap shoot because losing like that and not even pass through that stage to land solid attacks at the very least makes any opponent lost by meliodas full counter a complete and uter trash.

It's like when someone is not even consindered worth of having landing basic hit to the enemy lmao how many enemies lost like that? Freaking derriere and mospiet lost, even the demon king lost like that.

It feels so underrated also it may have cooldown but how much cd it has? 10 -20 seconds like really? A broken passive skill like this in order to get balanced should had at least have 1-2 minutes of cooldown everytime he use it as well as it will have a limit at how much more powerful of magic can deflect meaning that if the magical attack were stronger than meliodas certain strength the magical attack should be able to broke the skill thus damaging meliodas or make every time that meliodas uses full counter to have his stamina drained so the more he uses it the more tired his body becomes at the very least.

That's how you give a bit of a balance to a broken spell like full counter. You can't have a skill like this getting spammed frequent.
Then again nakaba doesn't give a crap i bet he only plays rpg and mmos and uses cheats and hacks to win.

Anyway meliodas is a tricky fighter but the problem is he is always fighting holding back like all the protagonists in nnt but since he is the leader his potential must be greater of the rest of the sins at this point it's all like their individual full potential is around 1m power lvl for each and what they use is like 10-20k lvl at best so they hold back like 980.000 power that they never use because the enemies as so trash they keep getting destroyed easily or they will never use because there is always some weird and stupid reason in the manga.

Last edited:

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not sure how skilled he is unless you mean that he has broken skills because having an automatic passive that can deflect any magical attack that can come no matter how powerful that attack may be it's pretty freaking broken.
It is basic a cheap shoot because losing like that and not even pass through that stage to land solid attacks at the very least makes any opponent lost by meliodas full counter a complete and uter trash.

It's like when someone is not even consindered worth of having a combat lmao how many enemies lost like that? Freaking derriere and mospiet lost like that like it feels so underrated also it may have cooldown but how much cd it has? 10 -20 seconds like really? A passive skill like this in order to get balanced should had at least have 1-2 minutes of cooldown everytime he use it as well as it will have a limit at how much more powerful of magic can deflect meaning that if the magical attack were stronger than meliodas certain strength the magical attack should be able to broke the skill thus damaging meliodas.

That's how you give a bit of a balance to a broken spell like full counter. Then again nakaba doesn't give a crap i bet he only plays rpg and mmos and uses cheats and hacks to win.

Anyway meliodas is a tricky fighter but the problem is he is always fighting holding back like all the protagonists in nnt but since he is the leader his potential must be greater of the rest of the sins at this point it's all like their individual full potential is around 1m power lvl for each and what they use is like 10-20k lvl at best so they hold back like 980.000 power that they never use because the enemies as so trash they keep getting destroyed easily or they will never use because there is always some weird and stupid reason in the manga.
I'm no Meliodas fan, but are you doubting his fighting skills? He could literally use anything as a weapon, like a broken sword and sheath. He decimated Drole and Gloxinia. Right before his emotions left purgatory and activating his OG magic, he was able to face the DK. Using his second mark, he was able to at least compete with DK Zel prime version.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Meliodas is one of the better skilled fighters in the series. Excluding the obvious god-powers he had for one point, back in his prime he was pretty much top tier and only a few people could contest him for power. Said people would be the Gods, Ludoshel, Mael, Elizabeth and maybe the original demon/indura of favour.

Full Counter is a strong defence, but as we have seen multiple times in the series it is not invincible and can be countered by outmanoeuvring, blinding, stunning or tricking the user. Hell, specific techniques which aren't inherently damaging in nature may be able to bypass or negate the effect of the spell coming back to the user (i.e purification, healing, buff spells, etc).

sobreno

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Djibouti
Meliodas is one of the better skilled fighters in the series. Excluding the obvious god-powers he had for one point, back in his prime he was pretty much top tier and only a few people could contest him for power. Said people would be the Gods, Ludoshel, Mael, Elizabeth and maybe the original demon/indura of favour.

Full Counter is a strong defence, but as we have seen multiple times in the series it is not invincible and can be countered by outmanoeuvring, blinding, stunning or tricking the user. Hell, specific techniques which aren't inherently damaging in nature may be able to bypass or negate the effect of the spell coming back to the user (i.e purification, healing, buff spells, etc).
Contest? Lol nice joke, he one shot all of them and his own version 3000 years ago with his current post Purgatory self as he is above Purgatory Ban, The One Ultimate and one shot the One which compete with the DK.

Hell, Purgatory Ban eat all your Archangels for break fast now as his feat shit passively on them, forgot Post Purgatory Mel with his 2 Mark which rival the Prime young DK while holding back. The Gods are a joke to Meliodas that it is funny.

They are all fodders against the current Sins, Nakaba made them too strong now since the DK arc lol.

Nice downplay on Full Counter too, Lostvayne and the clones literally nullifying that weakness, same with Counter vanish.

Last edited:

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Contest? Lol nice joke, he one shot all of them and his own version 3000 years ago with his current post Purgatory self as he is above Purgatory Ban, The One Ultimate and one shot the One which compete with the DK.

Hell, Purgatory Ban eat all your Archangels for break fast now as his feat shit passively on them, forgot Post Purgatory Mel with his 2 Mark which rival the Prime young DK while holding back. The Gods are a joke to Meliodas that it is funny.

They are all fodders against the current Sins, Nakaba made them too strong now since the DK arc lol.

Nice downplay on Full Counter too, Lostvayne and the clones literally nullifying that weakness, same with Counter vanish.
lol no

current mel isn't even close to god-tier otherwise he would be forced to leave the realm.

Last edited by a moderator:

sobreno

Reaction score
Country
Djibouti
lol no

current mel isn't even close to god-tier otherwise he would be forced to leave the realm.

enough with the fanboyism sweetie, it aint cute
Nice red herring, I am not referring to Mel with his God form and OG magic ( which is his strongest form and power ) but Post Purgatory base, demon mark and Current AM Mel that fought the DK and made a joke out of him.

Basically two differents things, Mel lost his God power, not his current post Purgatory Demons power, same current Demon powers that was enough against the DK lol, meaning he was already God tier feat wise during that shitty arc as he made a joke out of the DK in his Prime with only his Current Demon power, but the rest of the sins did it as well.

You completely misunderstood everything lmao.

You are the one playing the downplay here, all the sins surpassed already the characters that you are quoting

Last edited:

Merlin918

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice red herring, I am not referring to Mel with his God form and OG magic ( which is his strongest form and power ) but Post Purgatory base, demon mark and Current AM Mel that fought the DK and made a joke out of him.

Basically two differents things, Mel lost his God power, not his current post Purgatory Demons power, same current Demon powers that was enough against the DK lol, meaning he was already God tier feat wise during that shitty arc as he made a joke out of the DK in his Prime with only his Current Demon power, but the rest of the sins did it as well.

You completely misunderstood everything lmao.

You are the one playing the downplay here, all the sins surpassed already the characters that you are quoting
The power levels aren't really important IMO, they're an aftereffect of Nakaba's attitude with Meliodas. Basically, he will never let Meliodas lose. He even made the whole holy knight arc stop making sense just to wank Meliodas by having Assault Mode beat The One in a flashback. Arthur having the power of Chaos doesn't really matter either. Basically, when he writes Meliodas, Nakaba doesn't know how to make a fight even or intense for even a little bit of time anymore. Even the Meliodas vs 10 Commandments fight, which everyone thought raised the stakes a lot, was really just Meliodas Wank with how it ended. Nakaba basically felt it necessary to make it so Meliodas would have beaten all ten lol, at least if it weren't for Estarossa's Commandment cheese.

The cheese tactic he used to defeat the DK with Full Counter x 4 making the team attack 16 times more powerful proves that Meliodas can defeat any god tier enemy even if their power level is several times his, all he has to do is use the shadow clones and full counter his own darkness attacks so they are several times more powerful than he could ever make them normally. It's pretty much even more broken than Infinity, which at least seemed to somehow be limited and unable to stop the Original Demon. This also means that if Mel actually did decide to keep his DK powers, he would be multiple times more powerful than the DK automatically if he just used his cheesy full counter ability in the appropriate way every single time he fought. Oh well, Nakaba has no idea how to powerscale. But TLDR yeah, Meliodas's going to beat every enemy that could possibly appear in the series, there is no hype for anyone else that will mean anything to nakaba compared to his goal of meliodas wank. Including the Bloody Ellie stuff he introduced at the last minute.

sobreno

Reaction score
Country
Djibouti
The power levels aren't really important IMO, they're an aftereffect of Nakaba's attitude with Meliodas. Basically, he will never let Meliodas lose. He even made the whole holy knight arc stop making sense just to wank Meliodas by having Assault Mode beat The One in a flashback. Arthur having the power of Chaos doesn't really matter either. Basically, when he writes Meliodas, Nakaba doesn't know how to make a fight even or intense for even a little bit of time anymore. Even the Meliodas vs 10 Commandments fight, which everyone thought raised the stakes a lot, was really just Meliodas Wank with how it ended. Nakaba basically felt it necessary to make it so Meliodas would have beaten all ten lol, at least if it weren't for Estarossa's Commandment cheese.

The cheese tactic he used to defeat the DK with Full Counter x 4 making the team attack 16 times more powerful proves that Meliodas can defeat any god tier enemy even if their power level is several times his, all he has to do is use the shadow clones and full counter his own darkness attacks so they are several times more powerful than he could ever make them normally. It's pretty much even more broken than Infinity, which at least seemed to somehow be limited and unable to stop the Original Demon. This also means that if Mel actually did decide to keep his DK powers, he would be multiple times more powerful than the DK automatically if he just used his cheesy full counter ability in the appropriate way every single time he fought. Oh well, Nakaba has no idea how to powerscale. But TLDR yeah, Meliodas's going to beat every enemy that could possibly appear in the series, there is no hype for anyone else that will mean anything to nakaba compared to his goal of meliodas wank. Including the Bloody Ellie stuff he introduced at the last minute.
Well, he is the MC after all, all author have bias toward their MCs.

Ichigo destroyed everything and everyone, no matter the danger, it turned out that he was a mix of everything and stomped his opponents.

Same in Naruto.

Natsu, and many more.

But Meliodas was established to be a monster since chapter 1 and not an underdog. And the Holy Knight arc, he had his Demons power sealed, so he couldn't access higher mode, but still was too much for that arc, I agree.
For the rest, you aren't completely wrong as well but it touch shonen battle manga overall.

Elizabeth has been humiliated during the last arc that it isn't even funny lol, same during the entire Holy War arc.

Last edited:

Merlin918

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, he is the MC after all, all author have bias toward their MCs.

Ichigo destroyed everything and everyone, no matter the danger, it turned out that he was a mix of everything and stomped his opponents.

Same in Naruto.

Natsu, and many more.

But Meliodas was established to be a monster since chapter 1 and not an underdog. And the Holy Knight arc, he had his Demons power sealed, so he couldn't access higher mode, but still was too much for that arc, I agree.
For the rest, you aren't completely wrong as well but it touch shonen battle manga overall.

Elizabeth has been humiliated during the last arc that it isn't even funny lol, same during the entire Holy War arc.
Meh, i know it happens in a lot of shonen but it's more extreme here where it seems like Nakaba made a real effort to make the power scaling make sense and then seems to simply throw it all away due to Mel wank. I know his power got sealed for the holy knight arc but it honestly didn't make total sense for Merlin to do this to him at a time when his powers were needed more than ever, rather than 6 years earlier back when he destroyed Danafor. Or even if she hadn't sealed him for those 6 years, you'd think he'd refuse to go Assault Mode after what unleashing his darkness did to Danafor in the past, but apparently he was ok using it against escanor. Just seemed really dumb and contradictory to me.

Elizabeth did get to do stuff but Nakaba just left her on the sidelines after giving her 1 or 2 panels of action, he seems to basically not want her to stay in a fight for long enough that the enemy could counterattack/she could get hurt, or alternatively, he just doesn't wanna make her seem equally relevant to the MC. Sorta like how Diane got damsel'd and made irrelevant by King as well.

Overall tho I do sort of agree with you on how Meliodas is op, but i think the Elizabeth downplay is technically wrong. Feat wise she's proved absolutely nothing but Nakaba has made it so she basically doesn't even need to do anything to remain consistent since Meliodas fought the DK all by himself. She freed herself one time and telekinesis'd DK around, then Mel fought, then the Sins and Mel fought and she didn't need to do anything/it was a stomp because Mel didn't need to go all out even once. But technically speaking nothing has directly proved she can't do anything like it would if somebody like DK easily defeated her. It's the same as how Ban stomped DK-Meliodas but this did not prove the other Sins were useless in that situation, it just proved Ban was so op and the DK was so weak that they had no need to do much of anything at all. Nakaba is just really inconsistent and indecisive on just how powerful and relevant he's gonna make Elizabeth and it looks like he doesn't want her to do any extensive combat at all.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
You can disagree all you want, but the Meliodas from 3000 years ago (and now) was said to be comparable to Ludoshel, Mael, Elizabeth and naturally inferior to the Demon King and Supreme Deity.

Let's not delibaretly try to make our opinions as facts now when Nakaba clearly tells us what is right?

Merlin918

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can disagree all you want, but the Meliodas from 3000 years ago (and now) was said to be comparable to Ludoshel, Mael, Elizabeth and naturally inferior to the Demon King and Supreme Deity.

Let's not delibaretly try to make our opinions as facts now when Nakaba clearly tells us what is right?
True, he was much weaker back then, but it seems like nowadays Meliodas is beyond his old level. Unless his 1v1 against DK-Zeldris was somehow secretly due to his recent awakening of Butterfly Mode, even though he wasn't using that mode in the fight. I'd agree that him 1v1ing DK-Zeldris is pretty contradictory, even though Nakaba had Dk Zeldris start to get the upper hand it just took way too long. By the time all the Sins showed up and many of them were needed, that's the point when i'd agree with you that Dk-Zeldris was at his full power and clearly stronger than Meliodas if Mel didn't use Butterfly Mode. The fight was just so lame and uninteresting that while that's all technically true it didn't really feel well conveyed or important at all. Like, I never really felt a sense of urgency that Mel was going to die against DK Zeldris because he refused to use Butterfly Mode/DK Mode. It would have been much better if Mel actually had used DK Mode from the very start, but DK Zeldris fought evenly and then began winning the moment he turned on Inversion. Instead he literally didn't even use his strongest form.

I basically agree with you though that i slightly over-rated his power level when responding to sobreno. The Full Counter spam cheese of multiplying attack power exponentially just seems too gimmicky and overpowered regardless of that though.

sobreno

Reaction score
Country
Djibouti

You are a downplaying if you think that Mel is the same from 3000 years ago and after Purgatory and what he did to the DK at his Prime. King and Ban currently shit on that Mel from 3000 years ago in base lol.

Even 3000 years ago, he literally made Mael run away and Ludoshel couldn't do shit against him without help.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

True, he was much weaker back then, but it seems like nowadays Meliodas is beyond his old level. Unless his 1v1 against DK-Zeldris was somehow secretly due to his recent awakening of Butterfly Mode, even though he wasn't using that mode in the fight. I'd agree that him 1v1ing DK-Zeldris is pretty contradictory, even though Nakaba had Dk Zeldris start to get the upper hand it just took way too long. By the time all the Sins showed up and many of them were needed, that's the point when i'd agree with you that Dk-Zeldris was at his full power and clearly stronger than Meliodas if Mel didn't use Butterfly Mode. The fight was just so lame and uninteresting that while that's all technically true it didn't really feel well conveyed or important at all. Like, I never really felt a sense of urgency that Mel was going to die against DK Zeldris because he refused to use Butterfly Mode/DK Mode. It would have been much better if Mel actually had used DK Mode from the very start, but DK Zeldris fought evenly and then began winning the moment he turned on Inversion. Instead he literally didn't even use his strongest form.

I basically agree with you though that i slightly over-rated his power level when responding to sobreno. The Full Counter spam cheese of multiplying attack power exponentially just seems too gimmicky and overpowered regardless of that though.
He truly didn't, Meliodas in Demon mark was still keeping up fine, if he went in his current AM, he will literally mauled him as he did lol.

Like when he went in his intermediate form, he dominated base Mel then Mel went Demon mark and destroyed him, then he went into his final form in his Prime and Mel in Demon mark still keep up with him alone, he didn't went AM to not humiliate him. You know the huge gap between his Demon Mark and his current AM.

All without using his God power which was stated to be above his Father, no wonder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Since this thread has been revived, I would also like to talk about his famous OG Magic and how (IMO) ruined the entire plot of the series. For me, the main problem with Mel's OG magic isn't the fact that exists. As a concept, I find it quite believable that he had one since the start that wasn't Full Counter. Way before his OG Magic was revealed we already knew that each top class demon had a magic that couldn't be shared or used by anyone else in the clan (for example, Derieri's Combo Star, Galan's Critical Over, etc). That is an original magic. However at the moment we learnt that Chandler could use the same technique as him and the fact that it was him who taught to Mel that spell in the first place everything became pretty suspicious and gave room to think that FC maybe wasn't Mel's true magic. Back to the topic, the main problem Mel's OG Magic has is the reason given to explain why he didn't use it until now.

And yeah, the reason he gave to us is that he was afraid. Ok, cool. Afraid of what exactly? You cannot give such vague answer to a concept that could potentially destroy the main plot of the series. Most likely it had something to do with not being able to see Eli again, since he couldn't be on the mortal plane anymore after activating it (at least, that's what is implied). But why would he be unable to see her again? It's not like she couldn't come to the Demon World with him. He was about to leave with her in a frail human body before Boulder-Kun attacked. Alternatives existed.

Meliodas being afraid of using his OG Magic implies that it's something he could have used at any moment (which btw, it also makes the "I need the 10C to be on the DK's level" plot point completely nonsensical). So we have that Mel had all the time a power that was beyond the DK and the SD. With that power it isn't far-fetched to think that he could have ended the Gods' whole career during the Holy War if he truly felt like it (at least he had a decent shot) and become King of the demons himself. If he became King (and maybe Eli queen since he could probably have killed the SD too) the conflict between those two clans would most likely have ended, or at least would have greatly diminished. Of course, I'm not saying accomplishing such thing would have been easy to do at all, but the possibility was there.

All of this leads us to: no curse plot (Eli wouldn't have had to die more than a hundred times and both of them wouldn't have had to go through all that pain and suffering), no massive brainwash for OG Gowther's part, no Coffin of Eternal Darkness and most likely some coexistence between the two clans. This would also mainly solve the problems caused 3000 years later like the anihilation of the Fairy King's forest by the enraged demons, the Commandments attacking and sucking the soul of every citizen of Britannia and a lot of other plot points that were caused by the outcome of the Holy War.

The fact that the majority of the events and plot points that have happened could have been avoided (or at least partially negated to some extent) if Meliodas tried harder is in itself ridiculous. I used to really like Mel (he was probably my favourite character of the series at some point of time) and I think he had a lot of potential, but the way Nakaba handled his character and his power in these lasts arcs (mostly in the Second Holy War arc) is just absolutely horrid in my eyes, to say the least. To add more salt to the injury, Nakaba went and took that same OG Magic that ruined the plot away, without any explanation whatsoever about what it was, what uses could have had in combat, no backstory or insight as to why he was so afraid of using it to the point that he rather prefered his dearest person to die over a hundred times. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The concept disappeared as fast as it appeared.

And you know what's the worst? Nakaba could have avoided all of this by simply changing the "I could have used my OG Magic all the time but I was afraid of something" to "I wasn't able to use this magic because I wasn't strong enough and the requeriments for the training to reach the DK's level and thus unlocking it, were finally met in Purgatory". If Nakaba had explained it in this simple manner, for me it would have been more than enough, but I guess this wasn't good for him. Basically, in my eyes Nakaba sacrificed the main plot that he created and molted for hundreds of chapters for Mel wank. A wank that basically destroys any kind of tension, drama and consistency and makes this manga that I once fell in love with a complete mess. Of course Mel doesn't have all the fault (some of the other Sins and factors also share some), but I think that he is, by far, the biggest player in this scenario.

PD: Sorry for the wall of text, I got a little bit too carried away :XD