Hangout - MH Seinen Hangout | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Action Seinen Manga

If you like Vagabond try Blade of the Immortal. Also Bakafish just started an interessting looking Manga, take a look.

And your list lacks 20th Century Boys, that is more psychological instead of action, but higly recommend.

You can also take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinen ... and read the descriptions of the manga. I could recommend so much, but I'm not a big action fan :D

One Eyed Sharingan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Seinen mangas that are good in my opinion:
Mushishi - i love the plot....and those nice tales made up by yuki urushibara (author penname)
Jiraishin
Yokohama Kaidashi kikou (someone has already mention it)

Morri

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Blade of the Immortal (無限の住人) by Samura Hiroaki
I think this was the first seinen title I ever read. I got into it mainly on the recommendation of a friend and instantly fell in love with it's art style. The plot is very appealing. Even with it's dark storyline, Samura manages to slip a few bits of humor into it. All the characters are engaging from Makie, the female assassin to Shira, the woman-hating sociopath. Love them or hate them, they're all interesting. Rin manages to be a good female lead without being too annoying. And, as I mentioned before, the art style is breath-taking. It floats somewhere between being very realistic to almost traditionally mangaish. Given Samura's penchant show depicting brutal and graphic mutilations, I wasn't entirely surprised to hear that some of his work has appeared in eroguro magazines.
Links: Discussion | Wikipedia | Dark Horse Manga

Lone Wolf & Cub (子連れ狼) by Koike Kazuo & Kojima Goseki
What appealed to me the most about this series was how, well "old school" and "traditional" it seemed. The art style is realistic and somewhat resembles ukiyo or ink paintings. Whereas the storyline seems like something from a Kurosawa samurai film. Even though each chapter is a new mission for Itto it's still interesting and I can't wait to see how everything turns out. Especially in the chapters in which Itto, a very honorable man, accepts a mission of questionable honor (one would expect him to turn down) and somehow manages to complete his mission, yet also strike back at his employers. The chapters that show a mission through Daigoro's eyes are also especially interesting.
Links: Wikipedia | Dark Horse Manga

Samurai Executioner (首斬り朝) by Koike Kazuo & Kojima Goseki
I started reading this one because I had enjoyed Lone Wolf & Cub so much. To my surprise, I ended up liking this series more. I think it just comes down to the fact that I like Asaemon much more than I like Itto. Where LW&C is a samurai story, SE is more like "crime and punishment". Even though Asaemon is the main character, sometimes he only come in at the end of a story line. I like Asaemon's intelligence (a few times he helps the police solve crimes) and his conscience about what he does for a living. I especially liked the story where he finds that he executed an innocent man and so sets out to demonstrate to the police why they need to catch the real criminals, not except a scapegoat.
Links: Wikipedia | Dark Horse Manga

The Ravages of Time (火鳳燎原) by Chen Mou
This one I picked up on a whim. I admit, I had a hard time getting into this one. Unlike Japan, the most I knew about China was how to find it on a map, so a lot of things confused me. But by the time I finished the first volume I was hooked and started researching things on my own to better understand the series. There are two things I really enjoy about this series. One is that, even though I know what is going to happen (i.e. Lu Bu betrays and kills Dong Zhuo) because it happens historically, seeing how it comes to happen is exciting and full of surprises. The other thing is Bossman Chen's portrayals of certain characters. Zhang Fei is known as a formidable warrior, but also a hot-headed drunkard, but Chen turns him into a skilled artist who is very intelligent as well as a kick ass fighter - he's also believes in Liu Bei so much that he allow himself to be seen as a brash drunkard just to further his big brother's reputation. There is plenty of action, but most of the plot focuses on various schemes - nearly all the characters are frighteningly intelligent and sneaky.
Links: Wikipedia | Edited Manga

I don't really read much seinen, but I did enjoy it when I do. Judging from my above list you can see that I really love historical accuracy in my manga (with exception of BotI uses a lot of modern-looking character designs) and intelligent plotlines. One of the things I love the best about the above series is the fans. It's nice to be able to talk about a series I like with intelligent fans who aren't prone to "ship" characters or get into pointless arguments about which character is better. I tend to distance myself from the fandoms of my favourite shounen series because of the lack of sense in it's fans.

kyubisharingan

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Re: What is Seinen Manga?

OK now i know. I got kinda confused with Shounen, Shojo, and Seinen LOL

zombietoaster

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Berserk: As stated above it isnt very linear and changes alot thoughout the story. the art is some of the best i have ever seen and while im not the kind of person who gets excited over the badass-ness of characters. guts really is badass :p

zombietoaster

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

luca_torkjør said:
Hellsing: Alucard=just sexyyy...*sigh*
Battles are pretty gory but cool
No what you mean is "Gore = Cool" :P , sometimes if done right that is :P

luca6066

Translator
Reaction score

zombietoaster said:
No what you mean is "Gore = Cool" :P , sometimes if done right that is :P
yea just because a manga has some gore, it doesnt necessarily mean it is cool.

oh well gory scenes scare the hell out of me lol
Still I crave for Seinen, somewhat bloody ones,
I dont feel like reading Shonen mangas any longer, cept for good ones. ・・・なんて・・言ったりして・・

thorsama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

A lot of the manga that have been mentioned are also personal favorites of mine, such as: Lone Wolf and Cub, Berserk, and Battle Royale (although I'm finding myself not liking it as much anymore...) for the same reasons that others have mentioned. So I'll talk about some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet.

Priest by Myung Woo Hyung, cool characters and an even cooler story. The artwork is unique, dynamic, and fits so well with the story. It takes place in the american frontier and is about an undead priest who seeks vengence against a fallen angel and his disciples. It might sound corny at first but give the first volume a gander at your local bookstore and if you like seinen manga I'm sure you'll like this one.

Fist of the North Star by Tetsuo Hara and Buronson, since it was published by a Shounen magazine when it first came out I'm sure if some would count it as a Seinen manga... but I the action is so freaking awesome that I became a fan. The story isn't the best but it works alot better at pitting super powered fighters against each other (unlike DBZ).

Deus Vitae by Takuya Fujima, it has a fairly interesting story but what got me on the series is the incredible artwork. It's about a war between advanced android beings and humanity. The action is pretty decent but the art style is just sweet...

And of course... Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue, I know it's been mentioned but I put this one last because this is the definitive manga for me. The art is incredible, the story is deep, the character developement is deep, there are so many things I can say about this manga. Vagabond is the highest peak for me in terms of where I want to take my own comic artwork. In terms of plot, character development, and definitely in technique and storytelling. I've read the book that Vagabond is based on and Vagabond does more than justice for the 900+ page epic. And Takehiko Inoue is the epitome of what I want to be as an artist. And it's a damn shame that Vagabond isn't as big in the States as it is in Japan. And are there ever gonna be plans to make Vagabond into an OAV series? Because I think I'd shit in my pants if they did.

zombietoaster

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

luca_torkjør : well what you said made it sound like you think gore is a definate minus.

thorsama : I agree with you about priest. but for people who want to try it out. read atleast three volumes before making up your mind. the first two are very heavy on action, while the third is much more story. (it swings alot between those two in this series, wich i think is good.)

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany

Blade of the Immortal
20th Century Boys
3x3Eyes
Monster
Akira
Mushishi
Elfen Lied
Oh My Goddess
Chobits
Vagabond
Kozure Okami
Gantz
... should be the ones I like really much. Nothing much to say why, I just like them.

*think* I know I have forgot something important on my list *think*

kyubisharingan

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

Futari ecchi cuz its echhi XD. BUT its educational beleive it or not. Yall should read it., DL at stoptazmo.com

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

thorsama said:
And of course... Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue, I know it's been mentioned but I put this one last because this is the definitive manga for me. The art is incredible, the story is deep, the character developement is deep, there are so many things I can say about this manga. Vagabond is the highest peak for me in terms of where I want to take my own comic artwork. In terms of plot, character development, and definitely in technique and storytelling. I've read the book that Vagabond is based on and Vagabond does more than justice for the 900+ page epic. And Takehiko Inoue is the epitome of what I want to be as an artist. And it's a damn shame that Vagabond isn't as big in the States as it is in Japan. And are there ever gonna be plans to make Vagabond into an OAV series? Because I think I'd shit in my pants if they did.
T_T no truer words have been spoken.

Anyway, i dont think vagabond would transition that well into an ova. I mean the pace doesnt suit animation, most of the time. Talk about it in the vagabond section anyway, that is what it is for... Maybe i should ask about it.

White Rabbit

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2

Berserk
20th Century Boys
Vagabond
Planetes
Lone Wolf & Cub
Eden
Lady Snowblood
Blade of the Immortal
Samurai Executioner
Kiseijuu
Barefoot Gen
Adolf
Humunculus
Akira

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany

九尾写輪眼 said:
Futari ecchi cuz its echhi XD. BUT its educational beleive it or not. Yall should read it., DL at stoptazmo.com
oh, haha ... yes, I forgot this one :XD

Exploded Magic

Reaction score

Shamo- Just started it, a story about a 16 year old boy...blah blah, klls his parents goes to jail gets raped, learns selfdefence.
Berserk-Tons of blood+Sex
Gantz- Kei Kurono wins the story had great artistic categories.
Vagabond- About a young man destined to become the best samurai

blasta

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

20th Century Boys , Berserk, Gantz, and Vagabond are my favs right now. I just love all of them they are just very addicting and I'm sure all of them will be classics for sure if they aren't already.

kyubisharingan

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

eni said:
oh, haha ... yes, I forgot this one :XD
u read it too? AWSOME!!

Camena

Reaction score
Country
United States

wait...so does that mean Battle Angel Alita would be seinen??? I don't really know what to classify that one

Zepheris

Reaction score
Country
Australia

it certainly fits the bill especially given how violent it sometimes get in Alita.

Lungs

Reaction score

Hello everyone! I have been looking avidly for a community which celebrates Seinen manga. It is perhaps my favourite type of manga, next to One Shots.

Kaiji Kawaguchi has been receiving a lot of attention from me recently. While his style is mild, he is a fantastic story teller that can really wind you up. His firm grip on reality, I find, has the reader respecting not only the characters but their situations, as well. In Araragi Express, the protagonist is both noble and earnest, a perfect role model for the male audience. As I was reading it, I was constantly saying; "what the fuck" and laughing. It was that good.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Taiyo Matsumoto's Black and White series, which was heavily stylised and focused a lot more on themes instead of the story.

I also like a lot which have already been mentioned; Bokko, Vagabond, Berserk, YKK, Gantz.

From this thread, though, I would be very interested in Monster, 20th Century Boys, Mushishi, Priest, and The Ravages of Time!
They sound bloody good. Oh, I can't really remember this series, as I read it many years ago - but it was the first Seinen I read (not including Berserk or Blade of the Immortal!) called Sanctuary. I'd love to read it again.