Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
okay I just started reading REAL and I'm now in the 4th volume- I gotta say I missed Takehiko Inoue's humor. It was evident in Slam Dunk, but not quite so with Vagabond since it had a different mood and setting. But again with Real, because of the characters that he has in this story, his sense of humor is showing up again and I really enjoy his style.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Anyone here read Gisele Alain? I just sampled it, but it immediately reminded me of Emma. Even the art style vaguely resembles Mori Kaoru's. Did this author work as Mori Kaoru's assistant or something?
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Speaking of Mori Kaoru, I just finished Emma two days ago. But I'm pretty sure it's Josei. Although Otoyomenagatari would be seinen right?
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Strictly, both seinen. None of Mori's series ran in josei magazines.
 

haet

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Anyone here read Gisele Alain? I just sampled it, but it immediately reminded me of Emma. Even the art style vaguely resembles Mori Kaoru's. Did this author work as Mori Kaoru's assistant or something?
Did a bit of googling; apparently she hasn't worked as Mori's assistant, but for what it's worth, she has apparently said that she's a fan of Mori's work

The art in Fellows! in general reminds me of Mori, really -- if they have a house style, I think Kaoru Mori would basically personify it -- but it's true that Sui Sasai (Gisele Alain's artist) draws so much like Mori that you could easily mistake them for the same person. There's gotta be some influence.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Did a bit of googling; apparently she hasn't worked as Mori's assistant, but for what it's worth, she has apparently said that she's a fan of Mori's work

The art in Fellows! in general reminds me of Mori, really -- if they have a house style, I think Kaoru Mori would basically personify it -- but it's true that Sui Sasai (Gisele Alain's artist) draws so much like Mori that you could easily mistake them for the same person. There's gotta be some influence.
Thanks for looking into that for me. I was a little afraid that I was the only one that saw the similarity.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Does anyone know a manga that uses dadaist artistic style?
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
hey guys. I just read this manga Natsu no Zenjitsu and I loved it. Reminded me of Honey and Clover, but more adult. I wonder if anyone else has read this? I'm just sharing :cookiehand
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nii

Mr. Arashi

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
882
Reaction score
183
Gender
Male
Country
Chile
Someone reading Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji?
I didn't found out in the forum, and its being scanlated with chapters out frequently. I really want to coment the outcome of the hardships of Kaiji.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I was browsing through a bunch of horror manga when I found this and decided to read it on a whim.

It was unexpectedly amazing.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Comedy Horror? First time I've heard of the genre... I cannot fathom how the two could mix...
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I feel like there is/used to be a recommendations thread around here somewhere but this should be good enough.

Anybody reading any interesting new seinen manga lately? I've been having trouble shifting through titles as of late and since I know a lot of you have a fantastic eye for new titles I thought you guys could be of some help. ;)
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Well I'm still thoroughly impressed with how Genshiken is moving forward.

I wonder if you've read that?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Hmm I actually don't even remember hearing about it -_-; But from what I'm currently reading about it through reviews on MangaUpdates (and since you brought it up) I'll try it out. Haven't read a slice of life not in Shonen Jump in awhile so this should be fun.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
not heard of Genshiken?? :gwah

then you should read it, Dermie. The anime was done well, too. Pretty awesome, actually. Especially because you could hear the "ringtones" that you'll read in the first chapter hehe.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Onepunch man is the upcoming star series. At least in my view, it is the best new seinen out there. I am still sticking to some of my classic reading list. Currently the best ongoing seinen to me is Billy Bat. It would be Berserk but that is the non-regular number one.

Feeling weird on Gantz and where it is headed, Liar Game is progressing a bit weird as well, breaks and stuff constantly. Other series have strange release dates by the scan groups so hard to keep track but I am doing the best I can to spot when some of my favs have a new chapter.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Seems like Onepunch man is making the buzz :-))
My last seinen revelation is Dorohedoro but I guess I was late on this one. Anyway those who might not have started it must do it.
Now I'm reading a very unusual and cute sci-fi story called Saturn appartment (also from ikki). It's the French translation though I'm not sure all books are available in English
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
I was actually surprised seeing how One Punch-Man got bigger and bigger these past few weeks. Never EVER expected it to cause such a stirr. I thought it was something Japanese readers could enjoy more than the Western fandom. - Couldn't be happier about misjudging this one. :D

As for awesome new series, best stuff I've read this year has got to be Kagamino Hachi's ad astra - Scipio to Hannibal from Ultra JUMP. I'm also having a blast with Saruwatari Tetsuya's new manga GOKUSAI (never thought I would ever enjoy a manga by Saruwatari as much...) and the Grand Jump Premium anthology keeps impressing me more and more with every new series I read from it. That mag deserves more love from the Edited Manga scene!
 
Top