Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Seems like Onepunch man is making the buzz :-))
My last seinen revelation is Dorohedoro but I guess I was late on this one. Anyway those who might not have started it must do it.
Now I'm reading a very unusual and cute sci-fi story called Saturn appartment (also from ikki). It's the French translation though I'm not sure all books are available in English
I've read the first 3 volumes of Saturn Apartments. It was fine, but didn't really grab me enough to seek out the rest of the volumes.

I've been wanting to read Dorohedoro for a while, but I keep putting it off for whatever reason. I think I'll get on that next.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I was actually surprised seeing how One Punch-Man got bigger and bigger these past few weeks. Never EVER expected it to cause such a stirr. I thought it was something Japanese readers could enjoy more than the Western fandom. - Couldn't be happier about misjudging this one. :D
I think as long as it is able to maintain its consistency in jokes and make us laugh when we read it, it'll be getting bigger and bigger. :nod, Not to mention that Yuusuke Murata is also quite popular when he made Eyeshield 21, and I'm always amazed how much his artwork progresses during the last couple of years, and he's so innovative (I'm referring to his 3-D manga) so I'm betting that Wanpanman would be a huge hit. :nod

I've been wanting to read Dorohedoro for a while, but I keep putting it off for whatever reason. I think I'll get on that next.
I encourage you to read Dorohedoro too, at first I thought this manga is an aimless gore manga, but it turned out to be really interesting.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
wow you've mentioned titles I've never even heard of! :gwah

so now I've got more additions to my to-read list...
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Dorohedoro is fantastic! I don't read the scans but I've got the first 5 volumes from VIZ and I can't get enough. And I'm also enjoying Onepunch Man though I've only read the first few chapters.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I was actually surprised seeing how One Punch-Man got bigger and bigger these past few weeks. Never EVER expected it to cause such a stirr. I thought it was something Japanese readers could enjoy more than the Western fandom. - Couldn't be happier about misjudging this one. :D
Well it's by a big author name so it's not really that surprising plus the humor is quite universal

As for awesome new series, best stuff I've read this year has got to be Kagamino Hachi's ad astra - Scipio to Hannibal from Ultra JUMP. I'm also having a blast with Saruwatari Tetsuya's new manga GOKUSAI (never thought I would ever enjoy a manga by Saruwatari as much...) and the Grand Jump Premium anthology keeps impressing me more and more with every new series I read from it. That mag deserves more love from the Edited Manga scene!
Oh I put Gokusai in my watch list recently. It's really to bad no one is translating it........
Unless Illuminati is planing to start it, they have projects by Saruwatari Tetsuya planned.

I've read the first 3 volumes of Saturn Apartments. It was fine, but didn't really grab me enough to seek out the rest of the volumes.

I've been wanting to read Dorohedoro for a while, but I keep putting it off for whatever reason. I think I'll get on that next.
Well it's true that it's a very slow paced manga but I enjoy the round graphism and all characters are likeable.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Oh I put Gokusai in my watch list recently. It's really to bad no one is translating it........
Unless Illuminati is planing to start it, they have projects by Saruwatari Tetsuya planned.
I actually fancy translating the series. If it wasn't for HUNGRY JOKER popping up I would have probably already released some scripts... :sweat But I will try to get back to the manga as soon as I got a little less on my plate! Like I promised, I'll keep you updated in regards to my projects.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Seinen manga are best followed by the magazine they run in. Young Jump, Ikki, Young Animal ect. Mostly the magazines feature similar stuff that if you like one series you will like the other. So that is the approach I taken when looking for new seinen.

But why are so little people reading Billy Bat? D:
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
But why are so little people reading Billy Bat? D:
I'm personally waiting for more chapters to build up or maybe even for it to end. I find Urasawa's works to be more enjoyable when you read a bunch of chapters in one go.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
It's the same for me especially in this one where the plot is extremely complex: all civilizations in every epochs...
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'm personally waiting for more chapters to build up or maybe even for it to end. I find Urasawa's works to be more enjoyable when you read a bunch of chapters in one go.
It's the same for me especially in this one where the plot is extremely complex: all civilizations in every epochs...
It is hard to follow, though I just feel there is a lack of opinion on it. For instance it has been almost 100 chapters, and I have not seen a solid judgement about it.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I am also a fan of Urasawa after his two big hits 20CB and Monster, but I never got around to reading Billy Bat. It's in my to-read list though :sweatdrop And yes, I'd agree that his works would be better off read in one go.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Same here, I read several first chapters of Billy Bat, found it's really interesting, but I will resume to read it once it's wrapped up. The same case happen to Liar Game, I never read it when a new chapter is released, I have to wait until one game has been cleared otherwise Liar Game is too confusing for me to follow.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
It can get very confusing, but considering it is almost a 100 chapters long as I said I think it may be worth picking up. The story keeps piling on though. Typical by Urasawa, but I find it interesting of the many CLIFFHANGERS that is brings, and they are very original, so reading next chapters is all that much sweeter. :)

Oh, and does anyone have any suggestions about a discussion thread for seinen? I was thinking of discussing the various types of seinen magazines and the manga that run in them. For example which magazine puts up which kind of manga.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Some guy was brave enough to attack the dinosaur of morning:
Cooking papa chapter 1. This makes me wish what did you eat yesterday ? was resumed someday
 
Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Please visit and nominate in the Anime Awards, link is in my signature. :thumbs
 

lasert

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 1, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a Manga - title looks like "Syndrom 97"

Hello everyone,

First of all happy new year !
I was thinking about a Manga I discovered in a Book Shop 2 years ago, but I never had the chance to see it again. Back then It was just released in France. The title was something like "Syndrome 97" or 87... something like that. It's a little bit in the drama/criminal investigation type. Very intense too.

Here are a few details on the beginning of the story.
Basically the story was about a University Student who was a "no-life". He stayed home all day, basically never took his trash out... Anyway once he decided to go out and noticed a group of girls that were harassing another girl. She was like their slave. And The main character became interested in them... anyway to cut a long story short, he ends up killing the leader of the group and the girl who was harassed by her, even if in the beginning he was supposed to help her. And since then he was on the run... that's basically when I stopped reading.

Can anyone help me find the exact title? Every time I try to google it I only find "Sakuranbo Syndrome" and that's definitely not it !
Thank you for your time.
Cheers :)
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
In manga news database there is only 3 French titles with syndrome. One of them is syndrome 1866, Tsumi to batsu in bakaupdate (not scanlated). I think it can match your description
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The anime awards voting has started! Everyone please follow the link in my sig and vote for your favs!
 

Cupid

MH Senpai
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2010
Messages
71
Reaction score
142
Gender
Male
Country
France
:luv I AM FLYING AROUND MH LOOKING FOR LOVE PLEASE JOIN HERE :luv

 

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
2,810
Gender
Hidden
Country
Colombia
Hi there. I just want to invite you to the Collective Reading of Classic Manga Project. We are voting now to select one of these classic comics to be read with all who wants to participate.

20th Century Boys, Akumetsu, Ares, Beck, Eden it's an endless world, GTO, Hellsing, Holyland, Homunculus, Hoshi no Samidare, Houshin Engi, Kokou no Hito, Konjiki no Gash!!, Nausicäa, Parasyte , Planetes, Pluto, Sanctuary, Shigurui , Shin Angyo Onshi , Slam Dunk, Superior/Superior Cross, Touch, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

If you would want to read one of them, you can join us in this project. To know the details, you just have to click the link on my signature.




(Re)reading classic literature is part of our current education and life on society. Why not (re)reading classic comics?​
 
Top