Mikasa is my favorite character and she doesn't feel one dimensional to me? Maybe I'm biased, but you have to admit she has gotten development these chapters that Eren hasn't been there. Anyways, I don't think Kenny is Mikasa's biological father, what I think is that he could be her uncle, brother of Mikasa's father. Actually I feel Kenny could even be her grandfather, to me it felt like Mikasa's parents were kinda young (maybe young 30's). We can't be sure of this of course it's all speculation.
What was weird to me though is that Mikasa's family lived too isolated from society, like there was no other home close by so it makes me think they may have been hiding? It seems like they didn't go to the city often either. Also how did the slavers find that home? The house where Mikasa was taken to seemed like an abandoned house (there was nothing inside it), so since they didn't live there it makes no sense how they arrived to Mikasa's house and how they knew Mikasa and her mother were Oriental, someone must have told them (they didn't seem smart to have figure all this out by themselves).
Still though, if Kenny did order slavers to go after the Ackermans then why would he kill Mikasa's dad? (who I speculate is the one related to Kenny) And why would he want both Mikasa's mom and Mikasa?
One more thing, remember Mikasa's tattoo on her wrist? Why hasn't it ever been shown? I feel like it is significant too, somehow...Man, I hope this whole Ackerman family thing clears up soon enough...
Didn't mean to offend, Mikasa is also one of my favorite characters. In no way did I say that to bash her character, or those who feel she's written with a lot of depth. It's just my personal take on the matter. Like I said, I find her history particularly interesting. Her actions, less so.
As far as Kenny goes, he may come off older than Mikasa's relatively young parents, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Particularly if the relationship between Kenny and her mother was nonconsensual(rape). There's honestly so many different ways it can be explained biologically. I could certainly see him being a grandfather figure to one of her parents as well. How everything relates is up in the air until we've received some insight.
We really don't know how self-sustaining and isolated their way of living was. It can be assumed that they lived where they did for how ever long Mikasa was alive up until that point (I believe she was nine when they died?), perhaps even before. One would be forgiven to think that their whereabouts were known by at least a few people. That's why the attack by the thugs is questionable. I didn't mean to suggest that they found the home by coincidence, just that the thugs themselves could have possibly been random criminals/slavers (no one of narrative importance).
If Kenny was the one who sent them, regardless of whether he is the brother of Mikasa's dad or if he had previous relations with Mikasa's mother, I'm convinced that he and the thugs he hired(in the scenario that he was actually the one who hired them) were not aware of Mikasa's existence. She was just an unexpected complication after they arrived. Kenny is obviously a very dangerous man. If he had the knowledge of his brother's/ex-lover/victim's location, and he knows that Asian's are of value and importance, he could have had a number of different motivations for hiring thugs. It all depends on their previous relationship, why Mikasa's family was living in a secluded location and if it was in fact, an organized operation.
I agree, I'm hoping the tattoo will be addressed sometime soon!
This pretty much seems based on the fact that they share the name Ackermann. If that's so, where does Levi fit?
As for the slavers, they weren't even looking for Mikasa, but her mother. They could of heard of her from people that deal with Dr. Jaeger. Also, I don't think they are hiding, because they conduct their business outside (playing, gardening, hunting) and that's not something people in hiding do. Most importantly, the father figure doesn't check who it could be before opening his door. It doesn't matter how remote you are, a person in hiding would not just open their door, regardless of expecting someone or not.
More likely than not, Ackermann can be a name that certain criminal elements take as a moniker, or maybe that's the author's way of telling us that these people are a special breed. Hell, they could even be genetically modified -even cloned or tank grown soldiers that MP HQ breeds for specific tasks to ensure they have the trump cards they need.
Until some more details are revealed, it's impossible to say. Isayama could have done this on purpose just in case he needed a back up plot or twist, or maybe its an idea he hasn't fully evolved yet.
Is this directed towards my original post? If so, I addressed Levi. He was taken in, adopted, by Kenny. If I'm not mistaken, it's already been confirmed in the manga. This could literally happen anywhere at anytime. Could've happened several years before meeting Mikasa's mother, and it could've happened soon after. Unless, of course, you have a specific reason as to why Kenny can't train Levi AND have some sort of consensual/nonconsensual relationship with a woman, I'm not seeing where the disbelief is coming from.
It's true, her family might not have been hiding at all. They certainly didn't seem very concerned. That said, it could be interpreted either way. As I stated above, assuming they lived in that same location for nine years, seemingly unharmed and unbothered, it wouldn't be too far out of the question for them to feel comfortable with their surroundings, even if they were in hiding. Especially if Grisha was one of the only people they were accustomed to being in regular contact with. The issue with trying to make assumptions in this regard, is that we have such little information about their way of living and their surroundings to make a conclusive argument.
I've always had a hard time getting behind the idea that there's just a group of people under the name Ackerman with no particular relation to each other aside from exclusively being criminals or bred soldiers. I suppose it would work if it was actually comprised of a tight-knit bunch, but it strikes me as more of a family thing rather than a literal clan. There's loose ends with that theory that bother me. For example,
if the Ackerman's are just a clan made up of expert criminals or soldiers, wouldn't someone attempting to distance themselves from that clan(Mikasa's parents/parental figures) choose to go by something
other than the name that defines them as criminals?
Regardless, I agree. Isayama is the only one qualified to confirm anything. He could very well be leaving things ambiguous in order to cover all of his bases.
---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------
It could be that Kenny is Mikasa's biological father, but I personally doubt it. They are related though. Maybe he's her grandfather, or paternal uncle or a cousin on her father's side. I've speculated myself about the true nature of the attack on Mikasa's house, but I have come to the conclusion that it was exactly as it seemed.
Mikasa is the least complex major character, that is true, but her growing respect for Levi tells me that she will have some character development.
On another note I welcome you both (princesszelda and TheYoungWolf) to the forums
I suppose that was my true intention behind posting my theory; to speculate how exactly they relate to one another. If anything, I believe that they are undoubtedly biologically related. How so, is bound to be revealed sooner or later. I'm inclined to agree with you about the attack. There was nothing particularly suspect about it aside from how they knew of the location. Everything else; their motives, actions/reactions seemed genuine.
Lacking major complexity doesn't have to be a negative character trait. There's a simple pleasure in characters who's intentions are clearly defined. I'm very much looking forward to her future dynamic with Levi and what it does for both of their characters.
In any case, thank you! Majority of my friends have only watched the anime, so it's nice to have a place to discuss the manga with others. Even if that means having the occasional disagreement.