Support - mIRC Guide (Windows) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Support mIRC Guide (Windows)

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! Since we are going to be making a few changes here at Manga Helpers we wanted to provide everyone with a very detailed guide on how to leech from mIRC.

MangaHelpers' mIRC Guide

Introduction: Hello, everyone! We just wanted to say a little bit about the guide before we get started. Firstly, we've tried to be as verbose as possible in explaining each step, but sometimes words aren't enough and some of you learn better by seeing. With this in mind, we've added a graphic for every step which can be seen by clicking on the step name. For example, clicking "Step 1a" below will load an image showing a graphic representation of what you should be seeing in Step 1a, along with relevant sections both highlighted and underlined/boxed. We hope this helps you all to understand each step to the fullest. Also, at the end of each step is a slideshow walkthrough of all steps for those who have a more advanced understanding of the programs being used. For such users, viewing this image should be enough and will hopefully speed up the tutorial for them so they can get right to downloading. So, without further ado, here's the tutorial! Again, we hope it proves userful to you all!

Tutorial

Step 1: The first step is downloading and installing mIRC, so that you can go into IRC chat rooms and grab manga releases from the MangaHelpers file servers. The browser used in step 1 is Mozilla Firefox, but Internet Explorer can be used as well. Where the tutorial differs between browsers, notes will be made.
Step 1a: Go to the mIRC site. When you arrive there, click on "Download mIRC" in the side bar.
Step 1b: On the download page, choose any download link. Ideally, the download link bearing the name of the location closest to you will be fastest, but you can grab the file from any link there.
Step 1c: After clicking on the download link, it will ask you whether to save the file or open it. Choose to "Save to Disk", or if you're using Internet Explorer, simply click "Run" Image.
Step 1d: Note: Skip this step if using Internet Explorer. Save mirc###.exe (where ### is the version number) to your desktop, and then if given the option, open it.
Step 1e: Note: Skip this step if using Internet Explorer. If you are not given the option to open it, simply minimize the browser window and any other windows, and double-click "mirc###" or "mirc###.exe" on your desktop.
Step 1f: Click "Next", then "Yes", then "Install". Close the window that pops up as its not needed.
Step 1g: You will notice a new mIRC icon on your desktop. Do not confuse it with mirc###.exe. Delete mirc###.exe as it is no longer needed. To delete, simply select it and press the "delete" key on your keyboard. Click yes to confirm deletion.

Note: MangaHelpers recommends the Invision script for mIRC to make it prettier and more functional for advanced users. Note, however, that this is not in any way required and is simply an enhancement for those who wish to do more with mIRC. To download it, go to Invision's site (linked above), click "Download" on the sidebar, and download the latest "Full Installer". Install it as you did with mIRC, and enjoy!

STEP 1 FULL GRAPHIC TUTORIAL

Step 2: We will now open mIRC and set it up optimally. This setup will be done without Invision, though the Invision layout should look similar.
Step 2a: Open mIRC by double-clicking the icon on the desktop.
Step 2b: Click "Continue" when prompted to register. mIRC is shareware. What this means is that its free to share and use, and while registration is encouraged, it is not required. If you don't pay for mIRC, you will get this nag screen every time you open it.
Step 2c: Next, you will be greeted with an options screen. On this screen, enter your "Full Name" (does not have to be your real name), your Email Address (it is highly recommended that you do not use your real email address! Otherwise, you will be a target for email spammers!), your Nickname (the handle/name you wish to go by), and an Alternative (name used if your primary choice for username is already taken). After this is done, click the sun/asterisk icon next to "Connect to Server".
Step 2d: On this screen, select "IRCHighway" under "IRC Network". "IRC Server" should default to "IRCHighway: Random Server". Leave it as that, then click the "Connect to Server" button next to the sun/asterisk button you clicked before. The server should now default to this, so when you open mIRC in the future and you get to the screen asking you to enter name/email/username, you can simply click "Connect to Server" to immediately connect to IRCHighway, bypassing this step and step 2c.
Step 2e: Click the [X] to close the mIRC Favorites window. We cannot use this yet, as the channel we wish to join requires a registered name. So we must do that first...
Step 2f: Refer to the image for this step. In the bottom box of mIRC wherein you will be typing all commands and text, enter what is shown in the image, excepting the highlighted text. For the green highlighted text, replace it with whatever password you wish to have for your name. Make it something easy to remember yet hard to guess. As for the yellow highlighted text, replace it with your primary email address (this has to be a real email address you have access to!). After double-checking to make sure you have made no typos, hit enter.
Step 2g: You will see a message saying that a passcode has been sent to your email, so go check the email address you just typed in. You should have gotten a very plain message telling you that you have registered a name on IRCHighway. The important but of this email is highlighted in the image for this step. I have blackened out my confirmation code, but yours should be plainly viewable. Simply copy what is highlighted in the image and enter it into the text input box of mIRC (where you typed the registration command before). You should now get a message telling you that your name is registered.
Step 2h: Lastly, before we exit mIRC for now, lets do this one last complex step. Firstly, hold down the "alt" key on your keyboard and hit "O". This will bring up the options screen. Refer to the image from here on through this step. Click "Perform". Check the "Enable Perform on Connect" box. Click the "Add" button. Select "IRCHighway" in the list. Click "OK" in the Networks box. You will now notice next to "Networks:" in the "Perform" box, it will say "IRCHighway". This is as it should be. Now, in the text box, enter what is shown in the image, only replace the highlighted text with your password you used to register. Click "OK" in the "Perform" box. Click "OK" in the "mIRC Options" box. Step 2 is now completed, so exit mIRC.

STEP 2 FULL GRAPHIC TUTORIAL

Step 3: Alright, now that your client is all set up, it is time to join the MangaHelpers channel and get to chatting and downloading!
Step 3a: First step, of course, is to open mIRC. This should go without saying, but to do so double-click the mIRC icon on your desktop. I'll just reuse the graphic from step 2a for this. ;p
Step 3b: Go ahead and get rid of the nag screen by clicking "Continue". Again, the same as step 02b.
Step 3c: You will now be greeted with the name-entry screen from before, and heres where the extra setup of Step 2 comes into play. At this point, simply click "Connect to Server", and you will be connected to IRCHighway, the server where MangaHelpers' channels are located, and mIRC will automatically authenticate your name with the server.
Step 3d: You will also see the "mIRC Favorites" window, containing a list of channels and a text entry box. In the box, simply type in "#Lurk" like in the image and click "Join".
Note: If you would like to automate this process and have it happen everytime you join IRCHighway, uncheck the boxes in the green highlighted area of the image. Then go back to step 2h and add "/j #lurk" to the list of commands under the "/msg nickserv identify" command you added before.
Step 3e: Go ahead and maximize the chat window by hitting the button highlighted in green. Feel free to chat away, but if you're here to download, then head on to the next step.
Step 3f: Go ahead and open up the browser of your choice (Internet Explorer or Firefox for most people -- and you should already have it open if you're reading this, right?). Now, go to http://www.gotlurk.net/ or simply click this link. Once there, click the "Packlists" link at the top.
Step 3g: On the Packlists page, use the dropdown box to select a series you want to search for. After selecting it, click the "Search" button (obscured by the dropdown box in the image).
Step 3h: For the purposes of this guide, I chose Naruto. I now have a list of all "bots" and the files they are "serving". Check out the column of cells on the right for the list of filenames. These are only relevant to find out the row to look at. What is relevant information are the bot names (highlighted in yellow, along with the rest of that column) and the pack numbers (highlighted in green, along with the rest of that column). Say you want Naruto chapter 305. Thats row 1, and you see the bot is Wandypot and the pack number is 32. Memorizing this, you should now return to mIRC.
Step 3i: Make sure the #Lurk channel window is in focus, then type in the string shown in the image, only taking note to replace the highlighted text with the text you memorized from the last step. Hit enter to send the string, then go to the next step.
Step 3j: Click "OK".
Step 3k: Click "Accept".
Note: If you would like to save to an alternate location, such as your desktop, click the green-highlighted folder icon then select the folder you would like to save to.
Step 3l: The file should then begin transferring. When it finishes, click the "Open" button to open it, or "Open Folder" to open the folder where the file is contained. Then click "Close" to close the transfer window and resume chatting. At this point, you may also simply close mIRC, or return to step 3f to get more files. =]
Note: If you did not change the location for saved files in step 3k, then your files will be located on the hard drive Windows is installed to (typically "C:\"), in "Program Files\mIRC\download".

STEP 3 FULL GRAPHIC TUTORIAL

Step 4: Eat a cookie. =D

***I understand that you may run into complications and sometimes it is not that simple. However there are a lot of other guides out there that are even more detailed and should be able to help with just about anything. Later in this thread I will post a few sites that are really helpful when it comes to troubleshooting.

Good Luck!

~ Tamerlane

glasskatana

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: New mIRC Guide

Tamerlane, I have one question.
I have a Mac. What do I do?

Now for one request.
Please help me.

And one more statement.
I use a program called Colloquy, if anyone can help me register my nickname and all that stuff with this program, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway

IRC is a network, so all the commands are exactly the same. Program, I recommend X-Chat Aqua. :)

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Thanks Tamerlane. One question. If I type/post the wrong thing (as in accidentally), would i get kicked off/banned from #lurk? How noob tolerant are they? that's the main reason i've not dared to use mIrc...some of the 'rooms' are so scary :smile-big

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway

It should be fine as long as you follow the guide. The safest thing is to type everything yourself, and not copy/paste entire commands. :)

glasskatana

Reaction score
Country
United States

Hermie said:
IRC is a network, so all the commands are exactly the same. Program, I recommend X-Chat Aqua. :)
Thanks for the program, I don't know if it's easier to use than colloquy. But I'm still having problems.
Tamerlane said:
Step 2c[/url][/u]: Next, you will be greeted with an options screen. On this screen, enter your "Full Name" (does not have to be your real name), your Email Address (it is highly recommended that you do not use your real email address! Otherwise, you will be a target for email spammers!), your Nickname (the handle/name you wish to go by), and an Alternative (name used if your primary choice for username is already taken). After this is done, click the sun/asterisk icon next to "Connect to Server".
Firstly, I'm never asked for my email adress with the program Hermie gave me or Colloquy.
Step 2d: On this screen, select "IRCHighway" under "IRC Network". "IRC Server" should default to "IRCHighway: Random Server". Leave it as that, then click the "Connect to Server" button next to the sun/asterisk button you clicked before. The server should now default to this, so when you open mIRC in the future and you get to the screen asking you to enter name/email/username, you can simply click "Connect to Server" to immediately connect to IRCHighway, bypassing this step and step 2c.
I can't find IRCHighway or IRCnetwork. So I can't move on.

I wish I knew how to take screencaps of my computer screen so I could show you what I meant.

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway

Ah, those two are program options, not commands.

For X-Chat, just go to File->server List, there you set your nick/alternate.

To get the server, choose the top network, click "edit", remove the current server, and add "irc.irchighway.net" (on this screen, you can also set which channels to join on startup, and your nickserv password).

Then, just press "Done" and connect to that network. :)

glasskatana

Reaction score
Country
United States

Hermie said:
Ah, those two are program options, not commands.

For X-Chat, just go to File->server List, there you set your nick/alternate.

To get the server, choose the top network, click "edit", remove the current server, and add "irc.irchighway.net" (on this screen, you can also set which channels to join on startup, and your nickserv password).

Then, just press "Done" and connect to that network. :)
hmmmm. I think I get it. It would be really helpful, (to me at least) if you could make a short step-by-step. Or just tell me what I'm supposed to fill out on that page. If not, I'll just keep trying. Thanks for the extra help. :thumbs

O.K. I think I got it. I've registered my name and password.

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

If I type/post the wrong thing (as in accidentally), would i get kicked off/banned from #lurk?
To avoid that, I advise you to type or copy/paste all your commands for the bots in the Status window instead of the channel window. That way, if you post the wrong thing nothing will happen and of course, if it's the right thing you'll get your file. If you do get banned for a wrong command, it's usually a pretty short ban, 24 hours max. This is for #lurk only, don't know about other channels.
"got banned twice for an error in commands"
#lurk people don't seem that tolerant to me, but as long as you follow the !rules (type !rules in the channel window to get them), there should be no problems. You can even try to chat, though... well, I should say no more cause I don't know who's reading this.

Other ways to change your nick and to access the server (and the channel). The Status window is your best friend. To change your nick, type "/nick glasskatana" and to access a server, type "/server irc.irchighway.net" or whatever server you want to get on.

glasskatana

Reaction score
Country
United States

GRRR.
I finally got on. And I keep getting this message.
Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).
I can't download anything cause I get disconnected every 3 seconds. :mad I need help. I'm gonna try this on Collolquy in the meantime since it looks so much nicer. :p

Kept trying, I typed it out and I saw this message before it disappeared into the stream of you have been disconnected welcome to lurk etc.

Neverwhere has offered Trigun_Maximum_v10[Max7].zip
But I got no prompt to download anything.

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).
I can't download anything cause I get disconnected every 3 seconds. mad I need help. I'm gonna try this on Collolquy in the meantime since it looks so much nicer
Sounds like a firewall on your end.

glasskatana

Reaction score
Country
United States

Siedhr said:
Sounds like a firewall on your end.
grrr, really. It keeps happening and... re-happening. I'm being re-connected and disconnected every 12 seconds now. (maybe less). Do you know how I can stop this.

ALL RIGHT!!! I GOT IT. USING COLLOQUEY I DIDN'T GET DISCONNECTED OR ANYTHING AND NOW I'M DOWNLOADING. AWESOME!!! I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU GUYS.

:hi5 :hug

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

I'm sorry, don't know too much about firewalls. Ask someone who knows, mess with the settings yourself or simply shut it down. Are you on a LAN?

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway

To download via X-chat, go to Window, then File recive. ;)

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

I use sysreset and I usually tell everyone else to do the same. It's by far the best mIRC program out there, although it hasn't been updated in a while. The usage of it is pretty much the same as regular IRC except you have this nifty sysreset menu up top with lots of neat toys that I can't even imagine using IRC without anymore.

Yachiru

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Thanks for the guide. ^^ IRC is still kind of confusing to me but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Brede said:
Thanks Tamerlane. One question. If I type/post the wrong thing (as in accidentally), would i get kicked off/banned from #lurk? How noob tolerant are they? that's the main reason i've not dared to use mIrc...some of the 'rooms' are so scary :smile-big
In #lurk they aren't very tolerant of noobs, but generally they don't ban them, just ignore them or make fun of them, not too much so don't worry. If you are patient and ask kindly, you'll get get the mood of the channel. But you shoul remember the advice by Siedhr
Siedhr said:
To avoid that, I advise you to type or copy/paste all your commands for the bots in the Status window instead of the channel window.

siegfried

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey

thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
-thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** Checking Ident
-
-thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** Found your hostname
-
-thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** No Ident response
-
You have been Autokilled.
-
-thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** You are not welcome on this network.
-
-thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** Autokilled for Due to excessive amounts of spam, clients connecting from your provider are required to install identd (RFC 1413) (2006/09/16 22.19)
-
-thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** Your hostmask is kishimoto!~ask@85.98.143.214
-
-thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** Your IP is 85.98.143.214
-
-thor.nl.eu.irchighway.net- *** For assistance, please email banned@irchighway.net and include everything shown here.

well I get a message like this when I try to connect to irchighway ,do anybody know how to solve this?

what is that "identd(RFC 1413) (2006/09/16 22.19)" I should install?

Orcinus Orca

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

Hello
Thanks for the guide!
But I have a question. When I try to download, I have a message: "You have a DCC pending, Set your client to receive the transfer. (150 seconds remaining until timeout)" what should I do? Can anyone help me?

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway

You have to go to "tools->options", and then find "DCC". There, you can set "on send request" to auto-get file. This will make it so that you automatically start reciving whatever the bot is sending you right away, without having to verify it. =)