Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist) | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist)

Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist)...?

• Ace's Death

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Gol D. Roger being Ace's father

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Shirahoeshi being Poseidon

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Luffy declaring war on a Yonkou

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Luffy - Dragon - Garp

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Duval looking like the image on Sanji's wanted poster

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Robin joining the Strawhats

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shanks stopping Akainu and saving Cobi in the war

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
well unless you were spoiled, there was one time when you didn't know and were surprised.
Indeed, I said I was shocked, and I couldn't imagine him dying there, but we kinda knew what could be the aftermath of the war, either he dies or lives, even if "we" couldn't imagine him dying that possibility was there, but for what Kuma has done was way too far to expect IMO.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

That's quite exaggerate a lot of us expected Ace to die if you reread the discussion of that time. Many people wanted a death to make luffy grow up and that's what Oda did.
I guess you are right, my memory failed me ... :p

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
In fact I was answering to Zellogan, but you answered before me and your post was in the middle. I edited mine to avoid confusion.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
This is probably the only plot twist when I feel disappointed by Oda. In fact I didn't like the reason why Ace choose to hate his father and I still don't understand it. To me, the purpose of this hate is only so that Oda could mislead us in believing that Ace father was Dragon, so that when he finally reveal it's Roger, you feel twisted. I don't mind being mislead, but not when cheap tricks are used. Oda usually does much better than that. The twist was good in a plot point of view but the way it was made weakens it in my opinion.

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
As BB invaded Impel down, I remember as even Ohana confirmed the spoilers, many called it fake (me included). A la "pics or fake. Because at that time it was simply surprising and unexpected. That's something I would call unexpected or a plot twist. Thus I agree with Kuma making Zoro disappear and my own vote Poseidon. Since they made a similar impact on the discussion threads. I also understand Ace death.

As for the rest of the nominations I don't rly see how they can be considered surprising, shocking or even a plot twist:

• As Kuma made the rest of the SHs disappear in the following chapter, it was much less surprising and it was clear by now that Kuma saved the SHs by his act.
  • As Oda revealed Ace to be Rogers son, I thought of that nothing more than an asspull. For me it was rather clear that at time Oda created Ace and Roger, he didn't think this through. I mean this whole Mom carrying the child for 20 month was touching, however from the perspective of a writer, it seemed to me too forced to create a father son relationship. Therefore I wasn't surprised or anything, just disappointed of Oda's weak writing.
  • As for the "Monkey D" family and Luffy picking a fight with BM, not something I would call shocking/surprising much less a twist.
Anyway, I don't intent to create a discussion with my post, just writing my thoughts. I hope there will be more nominations. Just saying I expected more from this Thread. True I nominated myself just a recent twist, but this twist made a huge impact on my theories, therefore I nominated Poseidon. I mean before Poseidon was revealed to be a living object and on FI, I was expecting it to be just another man made warship. Something like a submarine, since Poseidon in the mythology is related to sea. Also since the ponoglyph was found on SkyPia, which was originally part of Jaya, I expected Poseidon to be sleeping/sealed off in the waters around Jaya.

ErosVp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I nominate Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama It was so surprising. It was his first real defeat as a captain. The first time Luffy felt real despair
Ace's death got as well, but I'll support this one.

fabo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I nominate Shanks stoping Akainu and saving Cobi on the war.

Regino

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ace's Death. The whole culmination of an arc long effort. Every week you found yourself cheering luffy and the whitebeard pirates on until it all came to an abrupt stop here.
I support this... it was both, the most surprising and the most shocking moment in OP

bisha16

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Albania
Ace's Death after luffy did all that way and saved him and than he was killed by akainu this is the mos shocking moment in OP

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm honestly a bit surprised at how many consider Ace's death the most surprising moment of the manga. Basically, the whole war was based around Ace's execution. It's not like Ace dying was completely out of the blue, it was one out of two almost equally likely outcomes.

Yeah, I guess you could argue that it was shocking because it was the first non-flashback, on-screen death of a major character. Yeah, Luffy fought hard to save him. But I'd hardly call Ace dying a "major plot twist". A plot twist is a turn of the events, when there's a change in the expected outcome or direction the plot is going in. If the arc is about Ace being close to dying, I'd say him being killed off isn't THAT surprising. And definitely more of a regular plot point than a plot twist.

Hell, I'd say Whitebeard being stabbed in the back by Squardo much more surprising than Ace dying. That was a straight-up twist, nothing had actually indicated that it would happen.

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
although i didn't like that part and I wasn't sad there,ace's death was shocking because I really didn't expect him to die.

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I'm honestly a bit surprised at how many consider Ace's death the most surprising moment of the manga. Basically, the whole war was based around Ace's execution. It's not like Ace dying was completely out of the blue, it was one out of two almost equally likely outcomes.

Yeah, I guess you could argue that it was shocking because it was the first non-flashback, on-screen death of a major character. Yeah, Luffy fought hard to save him. But I'd hardly call Ace dying a "major plot twist". A plot twist is a turn of the events, when there's a change in the expected outcome or direction the plot is going in. If the arc is about Ace being close to dying, I'd say him being killed off isn't THAT surprising. And definitely more of a regular plot point than a plot twist.

Hell, I'd say Whitebeard being stabbed in the back by Squardo much more surprising than Ace dying. That was a straight-up twist, nothing had actually indicated that it would happen.
Its true that he was on scaffold for execution, means he had a 50/50 chance. However given the fact that WB would die on that battlefield and the fact the main protagonist Luffy was fighting to save him, I honestly didn't saw that coming. At that time I just couldn't see WB's great sacrifice and Luffy's hard effort to go in vain. Now I wasn't shocked or anything, nor did I make a "wtf face", but I do understand ppl nominating Ace's death.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
those two:

Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama
Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago

are the same ...

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
No there is a chapter difference :-)

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
those two:

Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama
Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago

are the same ...
Its not the same (for me). While I was suprised as Kuma made Zoro disappear, I wasn't even slightly suprised as he made the rest of the crew disappear. After all the blank speech bubbles with Rayleigh, it was clear that he intended to save the SHs.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Kuma splitting the crew INCLUDES making Zoro disappear. Your event is included in mine. The rest is semantics.

Oda disbanding the strawhats for more than 100 chapters (I think ?) is for me by far the most surprising thing I read in a manga. Oda took a huge risk at storytelling level. It's not a question about being saved. It's a question about doing a manga about only Luffy & not the strawhats for a huge amount of time

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Yes but I don't think those who will vote for that will vote for it for this reason. In fact that would makes it divide in 2 more sensible, one for the twist (a clifhanger) and one for the storytelling (100 chapters). But I doubt people will vote with that in mind anyway

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
It was nominated separately, so it's in the vote separately. surprises/shocks are a very subjective matter anyway, so please respect the nominations and vote for your favorites. =)

BlackHair

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Kuma splitting the crew INCLUDES making Zoro disappear. Your event is included in mine. The rest is semantics. [...]
You don't get my point. The event is divided in two chapters, with two different cliffhanger. While I had a "wtf" reaction on Zoro's disappearance, I did not have a asimilar reaction for the rest of the crew. As Zoro disappeared, we couldn't explain anything. But as Kuma made the rest disappear we could explain ourselves with legit theories.

It is true that both are linked to one, to be precise Zoro's disappearance is part of the whole crew's, however this award is about "most surprising/shocking moment". If both events can be only considered as one and same, then it deserves no nomination at all in my eyes. Since repeating events/cliffhangers can't be as surprising as the first one.

Anyway, I can't explain better than this, if u still don't get my point then lets agree to disagree.

Last edited: