Hmmm... thinking way back...
I think it was Ranma 1/2. My childhood was, just like that of many people of my age, closely accompanied by several animes becoming famous in Germany at that time - Pokémon, Dragon Ball and such.
However, this always was restricted on card games, Gameboy and TV. So the first time I got my hands on an actual manga was when I was in a hospital very frequently for a couple of days each (3 days per 2-4 weeks) for the treatment of an auto-immune disease.
The hospital had an own library which one day sold alot of stuff, including those Ranma 1/2 mangas for a really cheap price, I think 0,50€ per volume, so I bought those available (Around vol. #1-8 approximately) to have something to read. I think I was around 11-13 yrs old back then, couldn't put that on a precise timing.
That would be 2002-2004 then.
The one after that most likely was Naruto, which I started reading this year. Had quite some time after finishing German abitur (a levels) in may and didn't start working right away, so I thought "hm, Naruto is a famous name, wanna check out what's behind that". Only read the manga after I saw all anime episodes though, because I was curious what would happen next
