Culture - Mythologies Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Culture Mythologies Thread

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
This thread is a spin-off from my Ancient Civilizations thread. I realized this was a loaded subject all on its own that we could use a different thread on.

Anyway, here we can totally focus on Mythology! C'mon, you know you're interested ;)

So tell us, what's your favorite myths? And we can discuss them all you want here. Or you can teach us. Either way. ;)

Myself, I'm pretty darn interested in Egyptian and Greek mythology. But I like some Norse, too :D

EDIT: If you want to discuss Japanese folktales, be sure to visit this thread. I know we have a lot of interested people here since we have a lot of Naruto readers, obviously. So decided to make a special thread for it.

Last edited:

mars0103

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Know that hidan in naruto is related to a greek myth about a king that took his heart with magic so he could not die until his heart stops beating but the name of the myth i have forgotten.

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love to know more about the mythology behind Naruto, since it is obviously such a major theme. I think it's one reason, maybe the main one, why I got into Naruto, and continue to read it.

Greek mythology has always been my favorite. I've had this book since elementary school, called D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths, which I used to constantly read, to the point of memorization. Athena has always been my favorite, I think she appealed to me so much because of her strength and wisdom among the other gods. In a way, I felt more connected to that than Christianity, because I couldn't really relate to the Biblical characterization of women, such as Eve, as much. I also think it's interesting that the Greek deities are portrayed as having the same tendencies and weaknesses as the mortals - pride, envy, greed, etc. Quite a constrast from monotheistic religions.

I'm especially interested in Homer and the other epics. It's kind of mandatory, I suppose, since I'm studying English literature, which has been so influenced by them. This summer I'm planning on finally reading Virgil's The Aeneid, since Robert Fagles just published a new English translation.

I would also love to study more Asian mythologies, especially Hindu. Any suggestions?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Now that you mention the Japanese mythos that Naruto's based on, I think I'm going to create yet another thread centering about Japanese Folktales... because I can see Naruto readers totally being all over that.

EDIT: Okay, made it! Interested in Japanese folktales? - be sure to visit this thread.

Last edited:

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Back then in school time, I was really interested in history, when lessons where about Greek mythology ^^ And it was so much interesting, that I didn't even need to learn, it was all because of just being on the lesson.

The best and most interesting myth for me is all about Herakles (Hercules in Roma) andhis 12 works ^^

Runemage

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
there are soo many out there, hmmm lets start with the Norse
they got dwarves, elves and giants!!!!
Ragnorok ~ story of a battle between the 2 mighty gods clans, the destruction will tear most of the universe apart, it is said that this is not an end to things, but a chance for a new world to form, it's sounds a lot better the armageddon described in the bible :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think the Norse mythos is my favorite as far as overall dramatic impact of the story and characters. =) Can't get any more crazy than the "end of the world!"

But I think Greek myths have more depth to them.

Some quick info about Egyptian mythology that I found interesting.

1. Heliopolis, Memphis, and Hermopolis, three ancient Egyptian civilizations, each had unique versions of the creation of the world and what the pantheon was like. They each believed that their city was the site from where "it all began." Surprisingly, there was very little arguing about who was wrong and who was right.

2. Heliopolis had the Ennead (or "Nine") and they considered Atum to be the Supreme Creator. Gods belonging in the Heliopolis mythos include: Shu, Tefnut, Geb, Nut, Osiris, Isis, Seth, and Nephthys. They believed Atum emerged as the first sunrise from a lotus flower that sprouted on the primeval mound, and he contained within himself the life-force of the universe.

3. Memphis believed that Ptah, the god of writing, thought the world into being and made all things a reality simply by speaking their names.

4. Hermopolis had the Ogdoad (or "Eight") and they believed that there were eight deities whose combined energies made life possible and they were all responsible for the creation of the primeval mound, from which the sun burst forth. Gods belonging in this pantheon include the forces of the primeval waters - Nun and Naunet, the gods of infinity, Heh and Hauhet, the gods of darkness, Kek and Kauket, and the hidden forces of life, Amun and Amaunet. Amun became the national deity instead of Heliopolis' Atum at times.

5. The universe was by all Egyptians imagined to be a place of balance, truth, and harmony, characteristics personified by the goddess Ma'at, and the afterlife was believed to be a parallel Egypt with all the same landmarks, and none of the bad stuff, like illnesses and famine and so on.

6. The sun was obviously very important to the Nile dwellers. In Heliopolis, while Atum was considered to be the creative power of the sun that put everything in being, Re (or Ra) was believed to be the sun itself. Even then, Re still took on different forms, depending on the sun's position in the sky. At dawn, the sun had the form of a scarab (a dung beetle) and was known as Khepri "Evolving One." When the sun rose higher in the east, it became Horus, or "The Far One," also known as Harakhty, "Horus of the Horizon." A lot of Egyptians called him Re-Harakhty, combining the two names. As the sun came closer to the end of the day, it became Re-Atum. Re is usually depicted as a falcon, man, falcon-headed or ram-headed human.

7. At night, the sun, or Re, battled the denizens of the underworld (Duat) such as his archenemy, the giant serpent of chaos, Apep (or Apophis). Re was reborn with each morning and always emerged victorious.

8. From the Hermopolis mythos, Amun (also known as "The Unknowable" or "The Hidden One") was later on linked to the sun instead of Atum when the Thebans came in power, and so was born Amun-Re. A goddess known as Mut also became popular and supplanted Amanet as the consort of Amun, and they had a son called Khonsu. Together they were known as the "Divine Triad."

9. There were quite a number of prominent goddesses in Egyptian mythos too. The best known is Isis, who was believed to be the most powerful and clever. But there was also Hathor, a very popular bovine-headed goddess of love, beauty, and revelry, also known as the "Mistress of Drunkenness." There are some more interesting ones:

Nekhbet and Wadjet, "The Mighty Ones," twin goddesses who respectively took on the forms of a vulture and a cobra and who were believed to protect the pharaoh at all times. Hence why the pharaoh is often nicknamed "He of the Two Ladies."

Sekhmet, the lioness goddess, the "Powerful One," also known as the "Eye of Re." Bastet, the cat goddess, was originally an aspect of Sekhmet, but went on to become a separate deity.

Neith, the "Mistress of Bow, Ruler of Arrows," an ancient northern goddess.

Selket, the scorpion goddess. Isis, Neith, and Selket would often be found on pharaohs' sacrophaguses.

Taweret, the "Great One," a hippopotamus goddess.

10. The only time all these traditional beliefs were even challenged (before Christianity) was when Thutmose IV, argued that the sun disk Aten was the true deity and the only god to worship. His son, Amenhotep IV developed this mythos further, and his time was characterized by sudden naturalistic art styles (he also changed his name to Akhenaten.)

This belief became increasingly unpopular though, and Akhenaten's son Tutankhamun (you guys know about him, dontcha?) led the movement back to the traditional gods. Hereafter, Akhenaten was known as a heretic.

That's it for now... of course there was the tale of how Osiris died and then was resurrected, but I'm sure everybody has heard of that one. ;)

Last edited:

AishaClanClan

Hmm my favorites are:
-The Prose Edda(even though Snorri is a bastard that made the story more likable for the christianity people coming into Scanavia(sp?)Mostly Ranarok, but theres also others. MY favorite God is Loki and I also love Fenrir.
-The Epic of Gilgamesh(Enkidu*tear*)
I love the book The Hero with a Thousand Faces.
Umm... African Myths are usually fun...
AHH! so many!!!

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Charlie]Thread Re opened.[/mod]

Since the Ancient Civilization thread has been re opened. This should be as well, since a lot of civilizations have various myths about them.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
arigato unc charly
any way any of you folks interested in poetic edda and ragnakor? the massive events that will eventually destroy all the scandanevian gods ...thor and odin included

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
arigato unc charly
any way any of you folks interested in poetic edda and ragnakor? the massive events that will eventually destroy all the scandanevian gods ...thor and odin included
I think I might of heard the mentions of those names. However, I don't believe I know anything about those myths. If you don't mind please explain a bit.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
hmm well you see you have to know the major scandanevian gods first.... to do that you need to read or know from the poetic edda the main folklore that has those Gods stories in them... it was passed verbetim from people to people and as it passed sories stacked up ... the major gods are
Odin is the king of god in Norse myth Thor is associated thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, destruction, fertility, healing, and the protection of mankind, Tyr is the god of single combat, victory and heroic glory, Feryr is associated with farming, weather and, as a phallic fertility
Ragnarok is the set of events that was foretold that wiould cause massive destruction of the the world and will be the event in which the major Gods (those mentioned and more)will be killed.....the word itself mean "final destiny of the gods"...its foretold that after the event the world will be submerged in water. Afterward, the world will resurface anew and fertile, the surviving and reborn gods will meet, and the world will be repopulated...
the events mentioned are subjected to many theoretical and metaphorical representation as what it really means if it did

Last edited:

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Egyptian mythology reminds me of Yu-Gi-Oh a lot. Osiris, Ra, and Horus are several cards which come from Egyptian mythologies.

However, the best mythology I have ever read was about valykyries, Thor, Freya, etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but they come from Norse mythology, right?

I have highly appreciated that mythology because I spent 4 years of my teenage years playing Ragnarok Online which was based on those gods and goddesses.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
steelwingcrash1
Yes, we call it Scandinavian Pantheon.:)

Ireally liked to read about mythology, especially Egyptian, Scandinavian and Greek when I was a kid.:) It was really fun and interesting. Also now we see plenty of books and TV projects that are based on the mythological themes.:)

Once there was rather good TV series that were based on the Egyptian Pantheon and it was called Stargate SG1.:) It was really interesting interpretation of human's history and Egyptian mythology.:)

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Why should all mythologies be based on the Greeks? The Pantheon is only for the Greeks,
so why should other mythologies take the Pantheon as their reference. For example, Scandinavian Pantheon, Egyptian Pantheon, Parthenon, etc... They should start referring their own mythologies for their own.

Because for me, Norse mythology is far more illustrative and imaginative the Greek gods and godesses.

I'm just curious and I hold no offense for this post.

Kitsuni

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like Greek and Roman myths. I used to scare my latin class with my knowledge of the roman god's family tees.
However I also like norse, welsh and english myth (King Arthur etc).
I'm still not sure exactly who Gilgamesh is or where he come from. Anyone know?
Sadly I'm rather ignorant when it come to Asian or American myth. There were no books of them in the library. :(

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock