- Joined
- Sep 4, 2008
- Messages
- 7,852
- Reaction score
- 4,153
- Age
- 41
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
When I was first starting to write my books, I learned a little technique that I find really interesting called the "one-liner".
It's basically a way to figure out what is the "core" of the story.
What you need to do is to summarize your story in one short sentence (you can't add commas after commas to make it long), and this will give you the most important thing of your story (the bone around which you add the meat, if you prefer).
So, while I was trying to do that with the story of Naruto, I realized that Part 1 and Part 2 were really totally different stories, and that it was really hard to make a summary of the whole manga in one-line.
Here's what I came up with:
Part 1:
"A young inadequate ninja goes through hardships to become the Hokage and be acknowledged by his village"
The main theme was "Hard Work vs Innate abilities"
Anything regarding the Kyubbi, Sasuke, Orochimaru and even the love story with Sakura was the meat around the core of the story, IMO.
But, when you come to Part 2, everything changed.
Part 2:
"A young ninja goes through hardships to save his best friend who is engulfed in a cycle of hatred and revenge".
And the theme changed as well : "Bounds vs Revenge" (or Love vs Hatred, if you prefer)
In this case, the goal from Part 1, becoming Hokage isn't important anymore.
And even the theme were messed up since we discover in Part 2 that Naruto is actually from a powerful clan and that he has innate abilities as well, like a special chakra.
And all of what happened to him was part of his "destiny"...
The core of the story is not the same.
And I think this is one of the main reason why Kishi thought best to even change the name of the manga from Naruto to Naruto Shippuden.
If you compare to other manga that had timeskip and that didn't change name (ex: Bleach, One Piece), you'll see that the core story remained the same. Ichigo still wants to protect the people he love, and Luffy still wants to become the Pirate King.
The story of the two parts of Naruto are so different that I wasn't able to make a one-liner short enough to explain the story.
------
So what do you guys think?
Can you come up with a one-liner to summarize the whole story, or the different parts of Naruto?
I'm especially impatient to see the funny ones some of you might come up with! :P
It's basically a way to figure out what is the "core" of the story.
What you need to do is to summarize your story in one short sentence (you can't add commas after commas to make it long), and this will give you the most important thing of your story (the bone around which you add the meat, if you prefer).
So, while I was trying to do that with the story of Naruto, I realized that Part 1 and Part 2 were really totally different stories, and that it was really hard to make a summary of the whole manga in one-line.
Here's what I came up with:
Part 1:
"A young inadequate ninja goes through hardships to become the Hokage and be acknowledged by his village"
The main theme was "Hard Work vs Innate abilities"
Anything regarding the Kyubbi, Sasuke, Orochimaru and even the love story with Sakura was the meat around the core of the story, IMO.
But, when you come to Part 2, everything changed.
Part 2:
"A young ninja goes through hardships to save his best friend who is engulfed in a cycle of hatred and revenge".
And the theme changed as well : "Bounds vs Revenge" (or Love vs Hatred, if you prefer)
In this case, the goal from Part 1, becoming Hokage isn't important anymore.
And even the theme were messed up since we discover in Part 2 that Naruto is actually from a powerful clan and that he has innate abilities as well, like a special chakra.
And all of what happened to him was part of his "destiny"...
The core of the story is not the same.
And I think this is one of the main reason why Kishi thought best to even change the name of the manga from Naruto to Naruto Shippuden.
If you compare to other manga that had timeskip and that didn't change name (ex: Bleach, One Piece), you'll see that the core story remained the same. Ichigo still wants to protect the people he love, and Luffy still wants to become the Pirate King.
The story of the two parts of Naruto are so different that I wasn't able to make a one-liner short enough to explain the story.
------
So what do you guys think?
Can you come up with a one-liner to summarize the whole story, or the different parts of Naruto?
I'm especially impatient to see the funny ones some of you might come up with! :P
Last edited: