Discussion - NCAA tourney time!! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion NCAA tourney time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom65437

Sticked because it only lasts a month... but I'm going to start it with a rant about my favorite team. :p

So for the second year in a row, I feel we've been completely screwed out of the NCAA tournament. That being FSU. We have just as many, if not more wins than teams in the tournament, and we have beaten more than one team in the tournament as well. Now I understand other teams can make the same argument, but I can not accept for one second that FSU isn't one of the 64 best teams in the country. We'll get to go to the NIT instead... who gives a (bleep)? If you win, does that mean you're the 65th best team in the country? Hell, I wouldn't even bother going, what's the point? We went last year and didn't even try and I suspect we'll do the same thing this year after this disappointment.

Basically, I'm tired of NCAA sports not being 100% decided on the field or court. In football, the "computers" decide who gets to play for what. In basketball, while it's more court oriented, if everything was decided on the court we wouldn't have the "committee." This is why no college sport will ever be more interesting or exciting to me than a pro sport, at the end of the day, too much is decided away from the game.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Ok, I dont totally understand about the "commitee" stuff and the decision. But which team is most likely to win the NCAA Championship/Cup/Trophy? :D

Venom65437

Luckily I have a few days to decide, but I'll pick a team before it gets started in a few days!

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, let me know the one you choose, ok? :D
Is there any player that fit to play in the pro league now?

Venom65437

I'm taking University of North Carolina, because I think they're the deepest team in the country. They go 12 deep.

Of course there are pro ready players now, those most notable are Kevin Durant of Texas, Greg Oden of Ohio State, and Joakim Noah of Florida. I think I spelled Noah's name right. Naturally there are others that will be in the pros next year, but they're the best three that are in the tournament.

miyi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, according to my bracket, I declared UCLA to win vs. Ohio State:

But to be honest, I'm not so sure about my bracket. You never really know for certain, like last year's cinderella George Mason. I seriously think it'll be between UNC, UCLA, Florida, and Ohio State. I'll be surprised if less than two of these teams make it to the Final Four.

As for the NBA-bound-ready players, then without question Kevin Durant is the man. He's averaging 26 points and 11 boards, and just a Freshman! He shouldn't even be in College. It's because of the new NBA rule, that you have to be at least 19 years old and one year beyond college. And as far as him being the National Player of the Year, I doubt he'll get it simply because he's a Freshman, but he definitely deserves it.

Other candidates: Greg Oden (Ohio State), Acie Law (Texas A&M), Nick Fazekas (Nevada), Jared Dudley (Boston College), and Aaron Afflallo (UCLA).

edit: I forgot to mention Tyler Hansbrough (UNC) and Joakim Noah (Florida).

Last edited:

Venom65437

We have the same Final Four miyi!

And as for NBA players, yea I'm being a homer here, but if you could see him play, you'd agree. Florida State's Al Thorton is just awesome, and he keeps dramatically improving every year.

miyi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To be honest, I haven't seen Al Thornton play, nor do I watch too much ACC basketball, except when their games are nationally televised. But I've heard of him and he might be a first round draft pick, and btw impressive stats, 20 points 7 boards.

You know, Texas A&M has a pretty good chance at defeating Memphis and upsetting Ohio State (assuming Tennessee loses), because the Aggies have virtually home-court advantage, playing in the Alamodome, Texas.

UCLA will also benefit with home advantage since they're playing at San Jose California. Nonetheless, they have a tough road to the Final Four, with Pittsburgh, then most likely against the Jayhawks.

UNC has a tough schedule as well, against a feisty USC team, and possibly Georgetown. But I think they're a strong enough team to survive that region.

Florida's toughest opponent might be Oregon, but the Gators are just too strong in the paint, I just don't see them losing.

So out of all the no.1 seeds, I think Ohio State is the most vulnerable. Plus, they've had such a long winning streak, especially in this tournament with all the pressure, they might choke.

So if I had to do my Final Four pick over, it'll be Florida, UCLA, UNC, and Texas A&M.

I think the Aggies will defeat the Tar Heels because of Acie Law, he’s become quite the clutch shooter. If you’ve seen him go head to head with Durant in their last meeting, you’ll know what I mean.

Then a rematch between UCLA and Texas A&M (they played earlier in the season), but too much Bruin defense, plus the experience, they’ll definitely win.

edit: I completely ignored Kansas, I forgot about them. Well, they're the least likely no.1 seed to advance to the Final Four simply because I think UCLA is the better team. They got the higher seed by default, because UCLA played poorly in their last two regular season games.

Last edited:

Fugitive

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Go STATE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.