Done Need help with these sentences

stlwright

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Context: Just mentioned going to the summer festival
しかしまたなんでこんな辺鄙な所にねえ
But why is it in such a remote place again?

Context: Main guy is talking about leaving the capital, and one guy asks if he has been exiled.
案外いい奴かもしんねーじゃん
Unexpectedly, he might not be a nice guy.

Context: Main guy finds out that the other guy is from Tokyo
どうりでこの辺じゃ見かけねイケメンだと思った
That's why I thought you were a handsome man who didn't know the area
イケ。。。?!
Handsome...?!
 
Last edited:

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
>しかしまたなんでこんな辺鄙な所にねえ
>But why is it in such a remote place again?
You're misplacing "again" here. しかしまた = then again. So I think it's closer to "Then again, why is it in such a remote place?" Your current tl implies that they once held it in a remote place, and are doing it again now. I don't think that's what they meant in the original.

>案外いい奴かもしんねーじゃん
>Unexpectedly, he might not be a nice guy.
The other way: "Unexpectedly, he might be a nice guy." I find this part of Japanese confusing as well, but in the context it's pretty clear that じゃん = じゃないか, i.e. as if he's seeking confirmation for his statement that "he might be a nice guy".

>どうりでこの辺じゃ見かけねイケメンだと思った
>That's why I thought you were a handsome man who didn't know the area
見かけないイケメン = hunk I haven't seen before, この辺じゃ = around here. So more like "No wonder I was thinking 'there's a hunk I haven't seen around here'".
 
Top