Fall NFL Thread

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

The Panthers were pretty poor tonight. I didn't see the game, but five turnovers? Ouch...

Their win over the Saints is looking less and less impressive with the Saints' struggles and the Panthers' struggles outside of that game.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

The Panthers were pretty poor tonight. I didn't see the game, but five turnovers? Ouch...

Their win over the Saints is looking less and less impressive with the Saints' struggles and the Panthers' struggles outside of that game.
I watched the game. The Panthers got beat up on both sides of the line all game long. That's a big reason for the turnovers and the huge reason for the overwhelming victory.

The other big problem they the emergence of Barden. In the first half they slid coverage to Cruz and Barden consistently made them pay for it, big time.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I watched the game. The Panthers got beat up on both sides of the line all game long. That's a big reason for the turnovers and the huge reason for the overwhelming victory.

The other big problem they the emergence of Barden. In the first half they slid coverage to Cruz and Barden consistently made them pay for it, big time.
When I saw the highlights, Jammin, Cam made some poor decisions and reads as well, which didn't help. :P

Yeah, Barden had a big game and made them pay as Cruz was the man to stop, but Barden came up big as a rookie (I think).
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

When I saw the highlights, Jammin, Cam made some poor decisions and reads as well, which didn't help. :P
A side effect of running for his life all game long and having no running game to take the pressure off. To my untrained eye the first pick was just a bad throw, he tried to throw it across his body and was just off target, but the 2 after that were a result of the Gaints pass rush getting home.

After all, who could throw an accurate pass knowing Justin Tuck is probably going to blindside you at any second.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

A side effect of running for his life all game long and having no running game to take the pressure off. To my untrained eye the first pick was just a bad throw, he tried to throw it across his body and was just off target, but the 2 after that were a result of the Gaints pass rush getting home.

After all, who could throw an accurate pass knowing Justin Tuck is probably going to blindside you at any second.
ESPN was a bit harsh on Cam as they claimed he should've tried to dump the ball off short a few times instead of throwing the ball further down field when they were already behind by a large amount.

---------- Post added September 23, 2012 at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was September 21, 2012 at 01:13 AM ----------

Wow, just wow. So, the Dolphins' kicker fails them twice and then the head coach fails them. I was watching that game against the Jets and they block Folk's FG, but the idiot head coach just had to try to ice him, so the block doesn't stick and then Folk buries the next one to win it.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Wow, what a wild NFL Sunday. Fantasy owners are probably doing a lot of rethinking right now.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Congrats to the Ravens. In a game marred by some of the worst officiating you'll ever see with some of the most questionable calls and plays you'll ever see, the Ravens pulled it out.

If you bring in the real refs, I think we would've continued our run from early in the game, but...
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Wow, of all the surprises this week I gotta say the officiating in that Ravens/Pats game was downright stunning.

I mean, I think everybody expected it could get bad but to actually see it happen in prime time...was just... That was a straight up embarrassment to the NFL. I'm sure sure Goodell will come out Tuesday and fine the bejesus out of Harbaugh and Belichick like it was all their fault and just generally do whatever he can to distract from the fact that the NFL is putting unqualified people on the field. People who are quite simply incapable of fairly officiating or keeping control of a professional football game.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I can tell you that I've never seen Belichick that incensed before.

I do know that the game changed in the second quarter when flags started getting thrown every which way...

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Wow, of all the surprises this week I gotta say the officiating in that Ravens/Pats game was downright stunning.

I mean, I think everybody expected it could get bad but to actually see it happen in prime time...was just... That was a straight up embarrassment to the NFL. I'm sure sure Goodell will come out Tuesday and fine the bejesus out of Harbaugh and Belichick like it was all their fault and just generally do whatever he can to distract from the fact that the NFL is putting unqualified people on the field. People who are quite simply incapable of fairly officiating or keeping control of a professional football game.
Yeah, I'm still in shock.

On other news, congrats on becoming green.

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

I'm expecting Goodell to slap Belichick with a huge fine for touching the ref after the game, although the ref wouldn't even talk to him and just ran on past.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Congrats to the Ravens. In a game marred by some of the worst officiating you'll ever see with some of the most questionable calls and plays you'll ever see, the Ravens pulled it out.

If you bring in the real refs, I think we would've continued our run from early in the game, but...
Absolutely horrible officiating. Embarrassment.

Based on what? When it counted the Pats couldn't convert and we could. Pretty simple to me...

Wow, of all the surprises this week I gotta say the officiating in that Ravens/Pats game was downright stunning.

I mean, I think everybody expected it could get bad but to actually see it happen in prime time...was just... That was a straight up embarrassment to the NFL. I'm sure sure Goodell will come out Tuesday and fine the bejesus out of Harbaugh and Belichick like it was all their fault and just generally do whatever he can to distract from the fact that the NFL is putting unqualified people on the field. People who are quite simply incapable of fairly officiating or keeping control of a professional football game.
Absolutely true. I know what the rule is with officials, but the fact ESPN is painting Belichick to have assaulted that ref is absolute bullshit. I think he saw the ref ducking out quickly and tried to catch up with him since he was OBVIOUSLY ignoring him. I don't really know if he has any obligation to talk to anyone at the end of a game but because these refs are strangers to the coaches and players there's no rapport there.

But the administration of these games is suffering. Too many pauses. And for all the flags thrown tonight there seemed to be PLENTY of scrums going on after the whistle. Just dreadful.

But wow, what a game. It was a little too similar to the AFC championship game last year and when Tucker's kick hooked and bit I thought I might have died but thank gawd :bored
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Absolutely horrible officiating. Embarrassment.

Based on what? When it counted the Pats couldn't convert and we could. Pretty simple to me...
All power to the Ravens for getting it done as I stated in my first post. I just meant that a lot of drives were unfairly ended or wrongly continued for both teams because of the officiating. Did you see that one in the first quarter where Edelman was called for offensive pass interference when the defender didn't even turn around or make a play on the ball? That was actually one of the more minor offenses by the refs tonight, but it still was impactful because it meant a third and long instead of a first down, which resulted in a FG instead of a possible TD.

It happened to both teams though, so I don't really have any sour grapes about a particular play, more about the refereeing. We know both teams are making the playoffs, so we'll probably see what happens if, and when, they meet in the playoffs, hopefully with the real refs in play.

If we get the replacement refs the whole season, I think that this could be a year when an unexpected team wins the SB, perhaps the Falcons or someone like that who is a perennial playoff team, but not a real threat to win the SB or anything.

Absolutely true. I know what the rule is with officials, but the fact ESPN is painting Belichick to have assaulted that ref is absolute bullshit. I think he saw the ref ducking out quickly and tried to catch up with him since he was OBVIOUSLY ignoring him. I don't really know if he has any obligation to talk to anyone at the end of a game but because these refs are strangers to the coaches and players there's no rapport there.
I'm pretty sure ESPN's also going to act as if Belichick's evil for refusing to answer questions. :P

But the administration of these games is suffering. Too many pauses. And for all the flags thrown tonight there seemed to be PLENTY of scrums going on after the whistle. Just dreadful.

But wow, what a game. It was a little too similar to the AFC championship game last year and when Tucker's kick hooked and bit I thought I might have died but thank gawd :bored
At times it felt like teams were getting free time outs in the middle of drives with all of the pauses and it took away everything that makes the NFL the NFL.

If you were unaware of what happened during the game and just looked at the score, you would think it was a great game. It was definitely heart stopping at some moments though. :P

For a second, I did think Tucker had missed, which would be one of the more shocking FGs ever.

The game itself, when there was actually gameplay that wasn't marred with officiating, was great because two great teams were going at it.

I thought Ray Rice's running game was probably the most impactful part of the game other than the officiating. After the first quarter where the Patriots stuffed him, he really took over the game.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

I guess the last thing I have to say is that fans of neither team were happy with how the game played out, although Ravens' fans got the result they were hoping for, which softens some of the problems for them. :derp
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Dude are you seriously going to blame the officiating for having lost? You know idiots around here would pull the same crap if that Tucker FG doinked. It was that close.

Games rarely come down to a single play at the VERY end of the game. Then a blown call is the worst and is put under a magnifying glass. But even then, there are so many things that dictate a game that officiating can never really be blamed for the outcome of a game. It dictates some things, but please...
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Dude are you seriously going to blame the officiating for having lost? You know idiots around here would pull the same crap if that Tucker FG doinked. It was that close.

Games rarely come down to a single play at the VERY end of the game. Then a blown call is the worst and is put under a magnifying glass. But even then, there are so many things that dictate a game that officiating can never really be blamed for the outcome of a game. It dictates some things, but please...
If Tucker missed, some of the ire at the officiating would've been shifted onto Baltimore failing to get a kicker, but at least he makes them in clutch situations, unlike Billy Cundiff. :derp

Gary, I'm not blaming the officiating for us losing, I'm saying that the refs did at times take the game out of the players' hands, that's all. In big moments, the Ravens stepped up and made some nice plays, which is why they won. However, the officiating did prevent us from seeing who the actually better team on the day was. :P Last year, when we lost to the Steelers in Pittsburgh, they were the legitimately better team. Actually, in last year's AFC Championship game, I think that the Ravens were the better team. Can you honestly say that one team was really better? In a game this marred by officiating, I don't think the fans of whichever team lost would be exactly happy. If we had lost to the Ravens in a fair game, such as there was in last year's AFC Championship game, I wouldn't have said a word.

I thought the Pats made some mistakes down the stretch with the run game, whereas the Ravens passed, although the Ravens had to pass, and it paid off.

You could say that the Dolphins losing to the Jets today came down to each of three poor plays by the Dolphins. If Carpenter hadn't missed the first FG, the later FG at the end of regulation would've won it there. Carpenter then missed another FG which would've won it in OT, and then the head coach idiotically calls a time out and gives the Jets a second chance after having blocked Folk's first attempt.

It is true that the vast, vast majority of games don't come down to a single play, but there are games where winning and losing is that simple, such as a fairly even game and one team has a chance to put it away with a first down and can't get that decisive play, and then goes on to lose. There are still other plays involved, but the shift in momentum is big.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

This isn't NFL related, but do you remember the play where Michael Jordan fouls Bryon Russell and the Bulls lose a game in the NBA Finals? No, the fact is that people don't. What they remember is that Jordan nailed a buzzer beating three to beat the Jazz. Any neutral party there can see that Jordan fouls Russell and thus the three shouldn't have counted, but that's neither here nor there. When refereeing gets in the way, there are problems.

In football/soccer, corrupt/questionable refereeing vastly changes games. Let's say a ref unfairly awards a penalty and that leads to a team unfairly getting an advantage in a match. While refs aren't actually corrupt in European football, at least not most of the time, it is a more or less well known fact that home teams usually get more than the benefit of the doubt from the referee, sometimes even legitimate corruption. I've seen more than a few matches where a seemingly stonewall penalty wasn't awarded, yet later on, the opposing club gets a rather soft penalty.

We just need the regular refs back and then there wouldn't be any of these issues. When the regular refs are here, if they miss a call, we accept it, but it's not going to be the focal point of the game unless it's so incredibly egregious that it's unacceptable. The problem here is that the story of this game isn't that the Ravens beat the Pats, it's the terrible officiating. Is a interested fan going to be upset when his team loses in a game like this? Of course. Fortunately for both teams involved, this wasn't a playoff game, so nothing in the overall scheme was affected.
 
Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

The thing that was so crazy about this refing in that game to me is that it altered the very nature of it. There were penalties to be called on almost every single play.

Illegal contact, pass interference (offensive and defensive), holding, personal fouls, and late hits all over the place.

I don't think anybody can really know how things would have turned out if they had legit refs out there because this game was a completely different thing. Both in the secondary and on the line of scrimmage stuff was going on that simply is not permitted in the National Football League. The penalties that were called were like 10% of what happened and 5% of those were called incorrectly or blamed on the wrong team. It was anarchy on the football field.

How many points were gained through plays like that? Because it looked to me like all of them were. I'm not sure who wins there, but I know who loses; and that's anybody who expected to watch a professional football game.

--------------------------------------------

Also, if they try to officiate a Ravens/Steelers game like this (In Pittsburgh or Baltimore) people may seriously die. As much as I enjoy "smash mouth" football, there needs to be some semblance of order so that such a game can be played without degenerating into real violence.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

You know, I hope Darius Heyward-Bay is okay. He got hammered by the Steelers today. He was able to move his extremities, but there could still be some major neck trauma.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: The NFL Thread

This is why I find it so difficult to actually sit down and watch American Football games. So many off the field issues affect the game it's quite laughable and stupid. Problems with the real refs is affecting most games so bad... it's making it very hard for any new fans of the sport to enjoy it. Not saying it's the only problem affecting the game... but it really doesn't help the cause either.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

You know, I hope Darius Heyward-Bay is okay. He got hammered by the Steelers today. He was able to move his extremities, but there could still be some major neck trauma.
Yeah, that was a shame. Mundy did lead with the helmet so he'll be taking a hit to the wallet this week for it.

This is why I find it so difficult to actually sit down and watch American Football games. So many off the field issues affect the game it's quite laughable and stupid. Problems with the real refs is affecting most games so bad... it's making it very hard for any new fans of the sport to enjoy it. Not saying it's the only problem affecting the game... but it really doesn't help the cause either.
Well this is not exactly a normal circumstance for Football. A sport as physical as football is bound to have some rough stuff here and there but it can be normally be contained. Right now it is not being contained at all.

Don't get me wrong, in my opinion, it's still the greatest sport on earth.:^_^
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: The NFL Thread

Well that is true, but you can't deny that too many off the field issues ruin the game. I mean look at last season... because of a lockout there was almost no season at all. I for one can't enjoy a sport like that.

lol Too much rules and complications for me to have as the best sport in the world. Football(soccer) is the best sport in the world for me :D
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

DON'T TURN THIS INTO A VERSUS THREAD FUCK :bored


Anyways...I didn't watch most of the Packer-Seahawks game but holy crap did the ending look like a mess. They have to fix this soon...
 
Top