Fall NFL Thread

fleshcut

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
108
Reaction score
156
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Anyone else think that know matter what now the lock out as already made the 2011 season a failure? Training camps will be shorter we don't no when they will even start games and i have no idea whats gonna happen to free agents
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

To call the season a failure? I don't know, the NFL is so popular I wonder whether they can ever have a bad season really. The teams at a disadvantage are those who have a new coaching staff. Everyone else is pretty much on a level playing field IMO. It's too early to tell how much this is going to affect the season.

If they start missing regular season games and have to push games back, and as a result teams lose their bye Week...that'd be bad. But then again, everyone would be without a bye, so it's even.

I just think it's funny how pro player safety the league tries to look, meanwhile they're building up contingencies in the schedule so no games would have to be missed. Yeah...taking away their off-week...really safe there guys...:eyeroll
 

fleshcut

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
108
Reaction score
156
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

coaches would have a problem, but i think rookies will be the hardest hit by this maybe not the first few round people but the later round draft picks will get no real shot to show the coaching staff what they got to make the team with the lock out and new kickoff rules
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

The majority of franchises value draft picks, so there's not many scenarios where a drafted rookie doesn't make the team, or at least gets signed to the practice squad. The ones who would hurt by this the most are the undrafted rookies who get training camp invites. Those guys show there stuff in the preseason games, and if the lockout starts to take those games away, they'd be hurt IMO.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

The lock out is over, so it shouldn't have much effect on rookies. It's going to be hell on the front office. No one knows when the fiscal year is going to start, when free agents can sign, and how do they do business without a CBA. If the stay is denied and the owners lose the appeal, there will be a CBA by June 1. The owners will have lost all bargaining power. Considering the decision, I don't think Judge Nelson will grant a stay. And I doubt her decision will be overturned on appeal.


I'm crossing my fingers the Skins don't draft a quarterback. Awful class. Some serviceable ones in the second tier, but over valued because of lack of talent at the top. Neither Newton or Gabber impress me the way Stafford and Stanford did the last two years. Hopefully A.J. Green falls to them, or Robert Quinn is still available. I don't mind Julio Jones but his hands scare me a little.

My mock draft.
 
Last edited:

fleshcut

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
108
Reaction score
156
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

lockout isn't over yet no owner is letting the people get past the lobbies. Yeah alot of players get cut and i mean there are people on practice squads for years. ur competing for 80 spots per team when u add in practice squad people alot of people get drafted get cut and wind up either in a different league like the nafl or euro leagues.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Not sure what the NAFL is, but NFL Europe has been defunct since 2007.

Looks like the owners got the appellate judge they were praying for. Temporary stay of the lockout until next week, and then who knows what might happen. This is a joke.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

The owners stand to win no matter what. There will be a new deal in place this summer, and it will give the owners more money. It won't be as much as they demanded in March, but it will be more than they made under the previous agreement. By the end of July, they will have a deal that the players can accept. The owners are basically on strike, they're not stupid enough to sacrifice revenue from pre-season games. They're smart enough to know the longer the closer they get to the end of training camp, the better the deal they get. If the lock out ends next week, the owners are screwed. They lost their only bargaining chip.

At least the draft was good. The Redskins impressed me for a change. I like Kerrigan, glad they passed over Gabbert (who I don't like) to trade down for him. I'm also impressed by their second and third round picks, especially considering they got extra picks in the process. This draft made it obvious Snyder is no longer involved in Football operations.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm crossing my fingers Vince Young ends up in Oakland. I don't root for the Raiders and don't care about Vince Young but something about it seems like the perfect marriage. It's not like Oakland has great Quarterback options. Jason Campbell and Bruce Gradkowski are not exactly winners. Considering that Oakland is over the cap, I doubt it will happen though.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm crossing my fingers Vince Young ends up in Oakland. I don't root for the Raiders and don't care about Vince Young but something about it seems like the perfect marriage. It's not like Oakland has great Quarterback options. Jason Campbell and Bruce Gradkowski are not exactly winners. Considering that Oakland is over the cap, I doubt it will happen though.
I've seen varying opinions on Vince Young. Some people are saying that whoever gets him will get a steal, because he's young and talented. Most people seem to think he'll end up in Miami from what I've read/heard. I don't know. He's a headcase to me, and owes his career to how he played in the Championship game against USC several years ago.

The Ravens have cut bait with DT Kelly Gregg, RB Willis McGahee, WR Derrick Mason, and TE Todd Heap. None of these releases were really that surprising. Gregg was a decent player but now he's an old man buried in the depth chart who isn't worth the money being paid to him next year. McGahee knew he was getting cut. You don't get paid the money he makes to only touch the ball 8ish times a game. The Ravens wanted Mason back last year, but he wasn't only going to sign for one year so we bent and gave him two. It was just a formality though, he was going to get cut anyways. The guy is one hell of a receiver, but he's 37 and is one dimensional. Todd Heap is still an effective player, but after all the years of being the top target and getting the crap knocked out of him on passes from Jeff Blake, Anthony Wright, Chris Redman and Kyle Boller, it's taken it's toll. I honestly believe the guy could have been a HOF-calibur player if he had a good QB for him to throw to.

There's no reason for Gregg to come back, so he'll retire or go play for the Jets since Rex Ryan makes a habit of taking guys we throw on the scrap heap. I think there are chances McGahee, Mason and Heap come back at a lower price. The free-agent market is saturated, especially at RB, and I think McGahee is going to find out the harsh truth that he isn't worth any more than back-up money. Mason is a gamer, but a loudmouth too. The Ravens want to get younger, faster, bigger at WR and Mason probably isn't interested in being fourth on the depth chart, so my guess is he either goes to another contending team, or he retires. I think Heap is the most likely to come back. We're inexperienced at TE, he's been a lifer with the Ravens and he's not a moron. He knows he's in the December of his career and isn't going to make more anywhere else.

They resigned G/T Marshall Yanda today, who was a top priority. The O-Line had holes in it as it was, and Yanda is versatile.

I'd really like to see the Ravens go after someone like WR Sidney Rice. We need size at that position, and I think cutting nearly $20 Million in cap-space affords them the ability to make a splash. WR Steve Smith has supposedly requested to be traded and named the Chargers and the Ravens as teams he'd play for...the guy was lethal in his day, but he's another 30+ year old WR with no size and waning speed. Nnamdi Asomugha is being bandied about as the best Free Agent out there, but I think he'll cost too much money for us to have a go at him. Our DBs are underrated, what we really need is a consistent pass rush. Someone to play at the DE position on the opposite side of LB Terrell Suggs.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

To late one Rice, Seattle over payed for him IMO. Good receiver but I can't see him staying healthy for the life of the contract. He's basically the same player as Boldin and Housh anyway. The Ravens need speed from the slot, not another big perimeter guy. Steve Breaston would have been ideal but he's already off the market. I have a feeling Braylon Edwards is heading to DC. I'm not sure how I feel about this, I still associate him with that horrific season he had in 2008. He's actually been good with the Jets, in about as conservative an offense as possible, but I'm not sure about paying him big money.

If I'm not mistaken the Ravens were over the cap when free agency started, Asomugha would have to sign for under market value even after all the cuts. He's looking for a ring so it's not out of the question, but now that the Jets are in play it's unlikely. They'll pay top dollar, have the room to sign him and would be immediate favorites with that defense.

Vince Young is one of the best college QB's I have ever seen. His 2005 had to have been one of the best for a college quarterback in recent history. Unfortunately he has been a self entitled brat the last couple of years. Miami is not going to gamble on him. They'll trade a pick for Orton instead. Young will end up as a back up somewhere. It does not look like any team in need will be desperate enough to trade for him at the last minute. I could see the Eagles trading a mid-round pick after they unload Kolb. They need a back up for Vick who can play, and he can rehabilitate his image there. If Reid can flip a tomato can like A.J. Feely for a second round pick, he can coach Young up enough to get a high pick for him in a year or two.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

To late one Rice, Seattle over payed for him IMO. Good receiver but I can't see him staying healthy for the life of the contract. He's basically the same player as Boldin and Housh anyway. The Ravens need speed from the slot, not another big perimeter guy. Steve Breaston would have been ideal but he's already off the market. I have a feeling Braylon Edwards is heading to DC. I'm not sure how I feel about this, I still associate him with that horrific season he had in 2008. He's actually been good with the Jets, in about as conservative an offense as possible, but I'm not sure about paying him big money.

If I'm not mistaken the Ravens were over the cap when free agency started, Asomugha would have to sign for under market value even after all the cuts. He's looking for a ring so it's not out of the question, but now that the Jets are in play it's unlikely. They'll pay top dollar, have the room to sign him and would be immediate favorites with that defense.

Vince Young is one of the best college QB's I have ever seen. His 2005 had to have been one of the best for a college quarterback in recent history. Unfortunately he has been a self entitled brat the last couple of years. Miami is not going to gamble on him. They'll trade a pick for Orton instead. Young will end up as a back up somewhere. It does not look like any team in need will be desperate enough to trade for him at the last minute. I could see the Eagles trading a mid-round pick after they unload Kolb. They need a back up for Vick who can play, and he can rehabilitate his image there. If Reid can flip a tomato can like A.J. Feely for a second round pick, he can coach Young up enough to get a high pick for him in a year or two.
Yeah, I'm not sure the motivation in signing with Seattle, except for money. He's a deep threat, solely because of his size. He doesn't have elite speed, but he can go up and get a ball, shrug off smaller DBs on deep crossing routes. He's definitely not the same as Houshmandzadeh or Boldin in my opinion. Santonio Holmes re-signed with the Jets, so there's no way they can keep Edwards, especially if they have their eyes set on Asomugha. That's a big mistake IMO...yes putting him on the other side opposite Revis will be intimidating, but Asomugha commands a lot of money, and I don't see him giving anyone a discount. Last time I checked, the Jets don't have much of a pass rush...at all, so that money would be better served there. Not only are they going to say bye to Edwards and Cromartie, they'll most likely have to cut even more players. Having that much money tied up in two CBs seems irresponsible to me.

I like a lot about Edwards physically. He's 6'3", yet plays even bigger than he is. He's strong and has hops. But the dude has hands of stone. I don't know what happened to him last year, but he was effective with the Jets, but I can't say that's the norm. That, and he wasn't a good teammate in Cleveland. If Plaxico Burress has limited his choices to Pittsburgh and the Giants, I'd be happy with Edwards signing here I guess.

Plaxico going back to Pittsburgh makes no sense to me. Why do they need to bring in more potential problems? The Steelers offseason was kicked off with an embarrassing loss in the Super Bowl, and it's been an absolutely frigging disaster since. Rashard Mendenhall spouting off on twitter about 9/11 conspiracies, Hines Ward's DUI arrest and James Harrison continuing to be the utter mental midget that he is. Forget the photos with the guns in his hands in the magazine and all the idiotic things he said about Commissioner Roger Goodell. The things he said about his TEAMMATES is enough to drive a serious wedge in that locker room. Criticizing Mendenhall, Roethlisberger and the offense in the Super Bowl. Last time I checked, it's the defense that lost that game...Aaron Rodgers made them look foolish. Roethlisberger is the reason they were in the Super Bowl in the first place :fail

Malcom Floyd has been a name thrown around here....but he wouldn't be my first choice, even though he has a lot of size. He was a third wheel in San Diego, and has been injured a lot. Steve Smith is also still being talked about, but supposedly Carolina wants a 1st Rd pick for him, which is laughable. I'm also hearing Santana Moss being thrown around but he's meh to me.

Well if you guys don't go after Edwards, at least you have Jabar Gaffney...Amirite? :cookiehand

There were conflicting reports about our salary cap situation. I've heard we were just slightly over it, but I also hear that we were $2 Mil under it. Regardless of that, I'd expect more people to be released and signing Ngata to a long term deal would create A LOT of cap room since he has the franchise tag, but I'm not sure if they'll have time to do it. I think we can afford Asomugha, but I doubt Ozzie will sign off on a contract that huge for a free agent. His motto has always been "Right player, right price" and has never deviated from that.

Miami was just one idea floated out there concerning Vince Young. It does look like Miami has more interest in Orton, but Orton showed up to training camp with Denver, so I'm not sure what's going on there.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

...it makes me sad that this thread is dead.

So who do you think has the best chance in the "Suck for Luck" Bowl? I see Miami, Denver, Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Seattle as the main contenders. I think St. Louis would also technically be in it, but they already have Sam Bradford, so if they did have the number one pick next spring they would obviously trade back. If San Francisco continues to surprise with their wins maybe they'd be a candidate to trade up to take him? He'd be reunited with his College Coach.

I'm assuming Andrew Luck wouldn't get hurt in his Senior year and would remain the number one prospect in this draft class obviously.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

^For once, my Lions aren't in that hunt. This is a rather strange feeling having the Lions be, you know, good. Oh and Calvin Johnson is phenomenal. Not one of the best receivers in the game, huh Chris Carter? Here's to Matthew Stafford actually playing 5 consecutive games without getting hurt :p.

Oh, and my AFC team isn't doing too bad, yet (the Cincinnati Bengals). Thought for sure they'd win no more than two games this season, so I'd say its a good year for them.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

^For once, my Lions aren't in that hunt. This is a rather strange feeling having the Lions be, you know, good. Oh and Calvin Johnson is phenomenal. Not one of the best receivers in the game, huh Chris Carter? Here's to Matthew Stafford actually playing 5 consecutive games without getting hurt :p.

Oh, and my AFC team isn't doing too bad, yet (the Cincinnati Bengals). Thought for sure they'd win no more than two games this season, so I'd say its a good year for them.
Yeah, I can root for the Lions in most cases because not only are they an underdog, Jim Schwartz is a Baltimore guy and coached at the University of Maryland as well as the Ravens earlier in a his career.

I actually liked Chris Carter prior to him being on ESPN...ever since he's joined the broadcasting team their it's like he's trying too hard to be controversial, and he never backs down from his statements. Not sure why he would put Greg Jennings and Roddy White in his Elite list but not Calvin Johnson. Jennings is a great receiver, but he benefits from having so much talent around him that it's tough to double-cover him. Roddy White puts up good stats, but he's not in the same league as Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald.

Does "not doing too bad" mean you're not as bad as the Browns? :p
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

It's hard not to root for the Lions as bad as they've been. Beats rooting for the Cowboys :p

Does "not doing too bad" mean you're not as bad as the Browns? :p
Not doing to bad means having a winning record 5 games into the season when they looked atrocious during pre-season. I still don't know what to make of the Bengals. They lost to a bad Broncos team, then played a pretty good 49ers team closely, and then beat a pretty good Buffalo Bills team. I guess their defense is pretty good. I'd really like to see them continue to do well so as to give the middle finger to Carson Palmer. I'll start to be optimistic if they still have a winning record after the Ravens and Steelers games
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

It's hard not to root for the Lions as bad as they've been. Beats rooting for the Cowboys :p



Not doing to bad means having a winning record 5 games into the season when they looked atrocious during pre-season. I still don't know what to make of the Bengals. They lost to a bad Broncos team, then played a pretty good 49ers team closely, and then beat a pretty good Buffalo Bills team. I guess their defense is pretty good. I'd really like to see them continue to do well so as to give the middle finger to Carson Palmer. I'll start to be optimistic if they still have a winning record after the Ravens and Steelers games
I think the Bengals should thank their lucky stars Palmer didn't file his retirement papers, else they couldn't have fleeced the Raiders :rofl
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: The NFL Thread

I wanna post in this thread but the Titans.......
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

^Ah, a Titans fan. You can't really complain. I thought they'd be far more terrible than they are. Though, I have to admit the whole Chris Johnson fiasco would frustrate me. They pay him all that money and all they get is 93 attempts, 268 yards and 1 TD through 6 games (yeah, he deserves to be paid on the same level as Brady). Not to mention the Britt injury. Look on the bright side, you could be Indianapolis or St. Louis with point differentials of -114 and -115 respectively. Speaking of which, they got the Colts coming up.

If you've been a Lions fan long enough, you learn to look on the bright side :p
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Ugh...that game last night was just absolutely putrid. No one on offense was worth their weight in poop. I really don't get this team, they bludgeon the Steelers, Rams, Jets and Texans...but they lose ugly to teams like Jacksonville and Tennessee. The officiating last night was horrendous, but I really can't blame them for us losing the game. You're not going to win if you can't get a first down for the first 9 offensive series...ugh, Sunday couldn't get here fast enough to get the bad taste out of my mouth. We should beat Arizona, but we should have beat Jacksonville and Tennessee...the only benefit is the game is at home, and we've only lost on the road...ugh.
 
Top