Fall NFL Thread

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Thanks for looking up the Tie game - it still seems crazy to me that it happens.

I think it's kind of cool that a lot of the "storied" franchises in the NFL are in the playoffs. Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Redskins, Giants, Patriots, Colts. Definetly makes things more interesting.

The best game in the first round, I think, will be Titans vs. San Diego. There's some bad blood after their last game, so it's going to be a slugfest.

And even though I was praising the Jaguars before, I don't think they can overcome Pittsurgh's D. This is the first time Jacksonville has been in the playoffs this decade, which is maybe not such a big deal, but I think playoff experience counts for something. Still not sure which team I'd rather have the Pats face. Even though the Pats didn't have much trouble against the Steelers this year, they've been having trouble with great defensive teams lately. Not sure if Polamalu played in that game either...I don't think he did.

Also, wasn't really surprised that the Ravens fired Billick. He's a good coach, but he never really got the offense going there. Plus, the team was struggling before they almost beat the Pats, but it seems like they completely fell apart after that. He'll end up somewhere. Maybe Miami will give him a shot.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah good luck to whoever's team gets Billick. I like Billick...nice guy, but his offense is bland. The only year the offense was viable was in 2003, but Jamal Lewis had to rush for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 500 yards (2 games) against Cleveland (his current team). Even then we had no real passing game. Now you could say that since Lewis was such a horse that season, we didn't have to have a passing game, but we still didn't win in the playoffs. With a stud like Lewis we STILL couldn't amass any sort of deep passing game, except in one bizaree game against Seattle when we came back to win 43-40 or something to that effect. If that isn't an indictment on someone's offensive ability, I don't know what is. Even with the worst receivers, and good offensive coach can take advantage of a INSANE running game and run play action rollouts and get something going. Nope.

Ever since then we've never had any success on offense. Last season we didn't make many mistakes on offense, and we road our defense and Matt Stover's foot into the playoffs, much like in 2000 when we won the Super Bowl.

This season we added a more versatile running back in McGahee, but we didn't use him correctly IMHO. We got rid of Jamal Lewis, but we still ran plays as if McGahee was him...and that just isn't the case. Even with a horrible offense McGahee still finished 8th in rushing yards...by some miracle. We lost our biggest receiving threat, Todd Heap to injury. Three positions on our line were filled by rookies(Grubbs, Yanda) or 2nd year starters (Brown). We had even more injuries on defense, yet they still held up as being one of the league's best defenses even with losing Trevor Pryce, Both of our Cornerbacks, Samari Rolle and Chris McCalister, Ray Lewis for two games, Ed Reed for three games. Our defense still held up...yet our offense sucked. Billick was an offensive coordinator with the Vikings...a prolific scoring offense. He was a Bill Walsh, West Coast offense guy. We saw none of that while he was here.

So...good luck to the Eagles if they hire him as a consultant...whatever.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

So, the Patriot's won. Go figure :/

And YAY, the Giants v GB game just went into overtime, and GB just won the coin toss. I'm not really rooting for either team here, since most of my teams are AFC, but I doubt either of them can beat the Pats. Which is why I wont bother staying up and watching the Super Bowl this year :p
 

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The NFL Thread

GIANTS WIN
GIANTS FUCKING WIN
FUCK YES ELI
DISCUSS






WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!
:ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu :ossu :turtle :tossu

Moderator Notice:
why must you mock me? :crying anyway, moving to appropriate section~ rb
 
Last edited by a moderator:

_ATMA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2006
Messages
555
Reaction score
13
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: GIANTS WIN

football sucks in general so this topic is irrelevant ;p lol

hockey > football


i also dont get why the hell ppl get so fucking riled up over watching somebody throw a piece of rubber/plastic around -.-
 

TheChosenOne

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
6,886
Reaction score
322
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: GIANTS WIN

Its always great to see the underdogs win, and this win was more special cuz they will always be remembered as the team that stopped perfection, a true Cinderella story. :)
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: GIANTS WIN

well, i am excited for the giants :)

as a colts fan, i naturally had to root for the other manning. i always like the underdog upset anyway. this was a much better game than i had imagined. the giants' defense really deserves a round of applause. that's where the game was won. nice job, guys :beer

side note: 100th post! :dance
 

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: GIANTS WIN

drunk

happy

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee


edit: sorry rb too drunk to see sports section

wajebrfouwbfeouwbfwheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: GIANTS WIN

Well I watched it too on french televisoon

and I must say I liked the game because it was very strategic (great defense game by the giants) and there was a lot tension

Of course I am more neutral than americans since they are more into this sport (Must say I like it)

and I was for the underdog: ny giants and I cheered when that last touchdown was made - the QB manning was great in that last +2 minutes of the last time
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm not into rooting for a NY team in any scenario, but I must say that regardless of who was playing the Patriots this year, I wanted them to lose. Great game, great plays. The Bowl was worth watching this year. Unlike last year, lol.
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Congrats Giants fans. Things were too good for too long for us NE sports fans...

I'm actually kind of getting a kick out of seeing everyone moping around. It's like they've forgoten Boston's long and proud history of choking in the big game (more red sox than pats I guess, but they were terrible for years). Sports talk radio is like listening to grief counseling...it's rediculous. Don't get me wrong, I wanted them to win (just by less than 12 points).
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Moping around seems like the appropriate response to going 18-1 and losing to 12 point underdogs.
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there. It sucks they lost, but it was still a fun season and I'll take 18-1 over, let's say.............5-11 every time. ;)
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there. It sucks they lost, but it was still a fun season and I'll take 18-1 over, let's say.............5-11 every time. ;)
What are you trying to say? :mad

The Ravens don't go 5-11 every year.
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: The NFL Thread

I was so happy that the Pats lost.

I couldn't give two shits that the Giants won (Good for them btw). I was just so fucking pumped up to see the shittiest organization in all of the NFL lose. It was pure awesome and epic.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I was happy that the Patriots lost, too.

I'm a bit biased towards the Manning boys, so it was just good to see Brady fall in consecutive years to them - but at the same time, it's crazy that the last loss Brady suffered before Super Bowl XLII was to Peyton in the AFC Championship game the year before. The Patriots put up one of the most dominating performances in any regular season ever, and they choked in the end. I think that's going to really besmirch their legacy.

But I was really glad for the Giants. Quite a story they have there to tell. It was that Eli to Tyree catch that basically won the game for them, I think, besides the superb defensive effort they put forth.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I was so happy that the Pats lost.

I couldn't give two shits that the Giants won (Good for them btw). I was just so fucking pumped up to see the shittiest organization in all of the NFL lose. It was pure awesome and epic.
That's purely your opinion though. It's clear to me that the Jets, Cardinals, and Raiders are all "shittier" organizations. That being said, the Pats coach is still a cheater and a tool. So he did himself no favors there.
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: The NFL Thread

That's purely your opinion though. It's clear to me that the Jets, Cardinals, and Raiders are all "shittier" organizations. That being said, the Pats coach is still a cheater and a tool. So he did himself no favors there.
Yup, I know. "Shitty" for me is a piece of shit organization from top to bottom. From the people at the top of the organization to it's fans. More accurately, the majority of the fans who don't live in New-England. I actually like the N-E fans. However, the vast majority of the Pats fans who aren't in N-E are huge cunts. They're all bandwagon jumpers who have a huge hard-on for Tom Brady. Where were these so-called "fans" when the franchise was having losing records? Cheering for Montana? Then Aikmen? Then Favre? I have no respect for you. Once Brady becomes old and past his peak, you'll just jump on the next star player bandwagon (If they haven't already.)
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

So it looks like the Bills will be playing a regular season game in Toronto starting next year. Are people in Canada embracing this? Or do they only care about the CFL?
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: The NFL Thread

Depends where in Canada. Out West, they might care in the province of British-Columbia. In Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba is probably irrelevant. Most them like their local produce, ie. CFL. Ontario cares a lot. They say that about half the people who go to the Buffalo games are from somewhere in Ontario. Then they said the games in Toronto would be giving them twice the profit that they would be getting if the game was held in Buffalo. As for Quebec, Quebec cares. The NFL is already pretty popular here, and Quebec has one of the best (If not the best) Football Programs at L'université de Laval in all of Canada. As for the Eastern Provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scota, Newfoundland & PEI), I'm not sure they care a whole 'lot, but I don't know to be honest.

But overall the biggest concern is the health of the CFL. A lot of people think that the CFL is going to die from this. I'm not really one of those people, though. There's plenty of things the CFL can do to avoid getting crushed by the NFL. Instead of starting the season in early June, start in early May, or even late April.

In any case, let's see what happens.
 
Last edited:
Top