Seinen Nononono by OKAMOTO Lynn

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Oh... the "Lynn" part is really misleading hahah ^___^;;
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Chapter 63 was interesting.

the whole "will everyone find out she's a girl" thing was nicely resolved, and we got the next challenge set up. She has to beat the Emperor....not an easy task but I don't really see it as being quite as difficult for her as the characters think it is. But I could be wrong..*shrugs*
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
It was only matter of time when we are handling ski jumping but, yay, the first finnish character appeared. It's not like I really know japanese, but how you make "stupid" of Paananen? And Paananen sound bit weird to my ear, though it's completly plausible finnish surname. And I wonder if Okamoto just choose the nationality by random, or was he aware that there quite a few acknowledged finnish sport doctors.

Other aspects of the chapter were interesting too. Set up against the Emperor. I think every bet that Kishitani would be the drop out and future support character, but Emperor seems to fall to that role. I mean, Nono just can't lose, can she?
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
For your question, Paananen sounds exactly the same as a phrase in Japanese that means "stupid". Although I have a feeling Paananen isn't quite how you're supposed to spell it...But it's not like I know any Finnish :(
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Just read chapters 64 and 65 today and I must say... I'm so glad to get back to the humor! Those flashback chapters were just way too sad. Good, but depressing. I needed some humor after that.

Anyway, the scene where Kishitani was "checking to make sure Nono's injuries were healed" was hilarious! :XD And the Emperor's new hairstyle? Who knew he could look so bishie?! :o
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
I want to see the Emperor's face when he finds out that he kicked his love. He's so gullible like 90% people in nononono
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
So of course, when I was wanting the Emperor to lose the author goes and makes me care more for the Emperors future :notrust Of course, that does make it more fun when they actually do go head-to-head (though, like everyone else, I really just can't imagine a situation where Nono could lose this early).

And regarding the Emperor's new hair style....:XD I was like "ooo new character". Though personally, I prefer the afro. Every sports series needs a guy with an afro, it just fits.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Oh gee, the Emperor kinda upsets me. Why can't he distinguish Nono and Noriko-chan?! I wonder how he would feel once he knows that he had been using violence agaisnt his beloved 'Noriko-chan" >_>

Nononono is an interesting manga. But i am upset with the number of perverts around Nono. *sigh*
Especially after reading the latest english scan. I wish the author would portray Nono as something more than an object of lust for the males around her. Poor Nono... :\
 

Katsuri

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Nononono is an interesting manga. But i am upset with the number of perverts around Nono. *sigh*
Especially after reading the latest english scan. I wish the author would portray Nono as something more than an object of lust for the males around her. Poor Nono... :\
And the females too, apparently. xD

It was funny how
Emperor's sister got bewitched by her 'bishounen' attack
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yup, perviness must run in the family. :XD

And it does seem like Nono has to constantly thwart the sexual advances of both males and females. She must be too hot for her own good. :p Too bad the guy she wants doesn't make a move. :/
 

c_k

Global Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2007
Messages
904
Reaction score
1,058
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I really loved the ending to chapter 68 where at the end of the chapter in regards to the Emperor's promise to Noriko
to not hit anyone - and how she makes a promise to let him touch her anywhere. I loved how they made you think that he's gonna be pervy like usual, but he instead kisses her on the cheek, which was pretty sweet. Then like usual, Nono kicks him. She's such a tsundere. I bet that if he touched her in *that* spot, she still would've kicked him. Either way - lose-lose for the Emperor. XD And yet, I love watching him get hit. :3

However, in chapter 69, it looks like the Emperor acts like an ass in front of the guys. He seems like the type who'd exaggerate and give all the details if he ever slept with someone. I can't wait to see what happens next since...
the coach comes back and finds out Nono is a girl?! I predict he's going to spread the news that she's a girl and people will say he's drunk and whatnot and not believe him.

Anyway, Nono is great and people who haven't read it should try it out, especially for those who are turned off b/c of the gender bender aspect~
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Ew dead thread.

So I FINALLY caught up through chapter 77. Nono proves how beastly she is by destroying to competition, but I'm almost worried about how well the Emperor is going to do. You would think Nono has to win since she's the main character but who knows, the author could go in a different direction :s

But boy does the author know how to make you hate a character. The coach that is planning on blackmailing her is just a despicable, disgusting person in every way! I hope his plan goes astray and he gets in some major trouble.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
dead thread is dead T__T

I read the latest scanlated Nononono and skimmed the raws. I love the character development, especially Nono's flashback. So now we all know why Nono is very determined to win a gold medal. It is for her father and brother.
However, the event in the competition give Nono another aspect of the motivation. She realized that she truly love ski jumping and want to win a gold medal not out of revenge or obligation, but because she really LOVES it and want to do her best. I think that is really brilliant and i love Nono more and more.

But what i really HATE about this manga is how Nono is treated as 'fanservice object'. EVERYBODY in this manga is lusting on Nono and misery seems to befall her over and over again. I dislike it when fanservice is redundant, and Nononono is full of it. :mad
Because i really like Nono as a character, it really make me angry when other characters treat her as sex object. Grrr... but i still like this manga because of things like i mentioned in the first paragraph. But yeah, the fanservice does bother me a lot. :darn
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Nearly all manga contain fanservice to some degree. In Nono, it's more used as a source of comedy meant to lighten the mood up.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
If you read the raws, not anymore.

she is molested and almost got raped by the coach. EEEEW! >:/
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Rape is no longer fanservice. That is more the drama portion of the manga. Fanservice is like when they walk in on her in the shower.
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yeah, not that much fanservice for the sake of it anymore if I remember correctly. It'll be just mainly drama from now on.
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
It ends? Woah, guess I haven't been keeping up with it.
Although I did purchase the newest(?) issue of Young Jump, so I can somehow see it ending...
 

WickedNeko

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
316
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah... it seems like the editors at the magazine canceled the series. Which is too bad, since it leaves couple of mysteries unanswered... like why was the dead body found at the site of fire (where Nono's brother committed suicide) the body of a girl instead of a boy?

On a side note, women's ski jumping seems to be headed to become an Olympic event in 2014 (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/sports/olympics/26olympics.html), so it would have been pretty interesting to see Nono's reaction to that decision.
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Why? D:
It's better than a lot of the crap series I see on Young Jump...

Yeah, the pacing of the story has been pretty slow, so ending like that so suddenly would be hard to explain everything.
 
Top