Support Now I've had it!

Tournesol

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
76
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
I really don't wanna complain...
But my writing keeps disappearing when I push the preview or post button. -.-
The problem seems to be that I have to relog quite often (guess that wouldn't happen if I set my session to indefinitely...) but it shouldn't happen anyway!

When I push submit or preview, I get a screen telling me to login because I ain't.
So I do as the site tells me and login, but then, I am forwarded to an empty page. D:
If i hit preview before, I can usually hit the back button and go back to that preview, but if I haven't, I'm screwed.
And sometimes I also get a message saying: "Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.
Please push the back button and reload the previous window."
Which if I go back, will also bring me back to the last time I previewed.

This is so annoying, what is up with it?
Is this a common bug in this forum? Can't something be done about it? Or is it my browser's fault? I remember having the same thing happening on my smartphone though. -.-

Ah, I notice I had opened a topic like this before, but it didn't get any answers.
Maybe it's because I really got my text back by hitting the back button back then, but I think it's just because I previewed and then only changed a few typos or formatting, so there was nothing lost.
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way...
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
You only experience this problem when you are on "Reply to thread" page (which you open by clicking on "Go Advanced" button)? Do you have the same problem on different browsers, even when you run them in safe mode? Do you have security software installed that may delete browser cookies?

If you log out and log in again without closing the page, you may get "Your submission could not be processed" error when you try to post. If you share your computer with others and this is why you don't check "Remember Me" box, you can click on "Log out" when you're finished browsing the site.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
happened to me too few times. Try "Stay Logged In" or something so you won't get signed out after a while.
 

xallisto

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
556
Reaction score
74
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
could be a cookie problem, they contain auth information that maintains your login status as you navigate the website. try removing them and relogging into MH. its not a problem with MH any problem like what your suggesting would be php and sql related and would affect everyone.
 

Tournesol

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
76
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
You only experience this problem when you are on "Reply to thread" page (which you open by clicking on "Go Advanced" button)?
I always go advanced, I just don't like the quick reply function.
Guess I can test it later though.

Do you have the same problem on different browsers, even when you run them in safe mode? Do you have security software installed that may delete browser cookies?
Run in safe mode? ?__? The computer or the browser? *never tried that*
Actually, I've only tried firefox. xD
I thought that the computer and smartphone version would have different code and not really be the same browser, but in the end, they were coded by the same team, so a bug in one version will probably also be in the other.
That said, I haven't had this problem in any other forum so far. It usually properly sends the message to post or preview after relogging... hm... guess I'll try again on my own website. But that one doesn't use vBulletin but SMF, so I dunno if it can be reproduced with that. @__@

edit~

Alright, I've tried Internet Explorer and the problem doesn't appear because my session doesn't end to begin with. oO
In firefox, it seems to end every 15-30 mins or so... this is odd.
I'm gonna also try the standard browser on my smartphone and see what that one does.

If you log out and log in again without closing the page, you may get "Your submission could not be processed" error when you try to post. If you share your computer with others and this is why you don't check "Remember Me" box, you can click on "Log out" when you're finished browsing the site.
That's not it. xD
The reason is that I like loggin in manually because it helps me remember my username and password. I'm kinda forgetful and it happened to me that I made a Skype account many years ago and checked "remember password" and thus never needed to use the password. However, some years later, I wanted to use my account on a different computer... but I couldn't remember the password and the e-mail address had expired.
(At some point though, I found out that you can replace the mail address without having to do any confirmation, so it worked out fine in the end.)
Since then, I make sure I remember those passwords by using them often. >__>;
Also, I'm pretty sure the "remember me" box was checked on my smartphone... guess I will look closely whether it's checked or not next time I use it and then see if I get the bug again or not. XD

happened to me too few times. Try "Stay Logged In" or something so you won't get signed out after a while.
You mean "remember me"? I thought that would just sign you in automatically when you close and reopen the browser, but the problem I have is with the browser staying open.
Didn't find anything in the options that could change session length... it should be easy to add if you want it, but I guess it ain't there because you don't (or I just didn't see it).
 
Last edited:

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
Running the browser in safe mode to rule out the possibility that one of your browser extensions is misbehaving. If you frequently forget your passwords, you can use a password manager such as KeePass to solve that problem. Also Lazarus: Form Recovery Firefox extension saves your post content in case you experience such a problem again.
 

Tournesol

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
76
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
Hm... the standard browser on my smartphone also sends me to an empty page after relogging.

Running the browser in safe mode to rule out the possibility that one of your browser extensions is misbehaving. If you frequently forget your passwords, you can use a password manager such as KeePass to solve that problem. Also Lazarus: Form Recovery Firefox extension saves your post content in case you experience such a problem again.
I'll try the safe mode later, I guess. XD
That firefox add-on won't let me install it because it "ain't updated for the current version". Someone suggested it to me before, but... if there's a way to get it installed anyway, please tell me.
Usually, firefox on the computer (dunno about smartphone version) saves the stuff you write into text boxes anyway, but as the login screen pops up when trying to send it, it is no longer saved by the browser and somehow gets lost in the process.
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
I use the latest version of Firefox and the add-on works as expected, do you have an old version perhaps? :wonder
 

Tournesol

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
76
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
33 and it claims to be up to date.

I've tried again with my phone's standard browser. This time I checked "remember me" and it keeps me logged in (nice!), but when previewing, I still got this message
Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.
When I go back as prompted and try to preview again, I just get the same message again. XD
At least the browser saves the text I input even after using the back button, so it didn't get lost.
That's pretty good. Guess I should use this one when writing long posts in the forum. o__ô
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Try the Remember Me, it's supposed to keep you logged in. Whenever I forgot to tick that and was writing a long post, I'd get signed out whenever I hit Submit. Ever since I ticked the Remember Me thing, I never had any issue. This was when I was using school computer and not paying attention to class, though. I think the problem is that after a while of inactivity, you automatically get logged out, no?

But your issue is mobile? I think the same applies here. Does it log you out automatically even when you're not posting? And I know how you feel about manual entry. :XD Try Lastpass, it's a great addon for passwords. Stores your passwords and generates random ones, and it's pretty safe as long as your computer is safe because the password is only saved on your computer. Though it works for mobile as well with same account, but you have to pay after a 30-day trial. Unless you prefer to just keep manually entering in your password so you don't forget.

My password-forgetting brother :zomg
 

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
170
Reaction score
63
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
That firefox add-on won't let me install it because it "ain't updated for the current version". Someone suggested it to me before, but... if there's a way to get it installed anyway, please tell me.
If you mean Lazarus, then here's how you can fix it:
1. Open the extension's page.
2. Right-click the "install now" button > save as..., and save it somewhere.
3. Right-click the saved extension and extract it to a folder (you'll need 7-zip, winrar, or something similar for that).
4. Go into the folder and edit the "install.rdf" file. (If you don't know how, get Notepad ++)
5. Find the "<em:maxVersion>7.*</em:maxVersion>" line and change the version to one that will work for you. You can also try removing that line altogether.
6. Save the file.
7. Zip the files inside the folder.
8. Change the ".zip" extension to ".xpi".
9. Drag the new file onto your browser and hit install.
 

Tournesol

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
76
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
Thank you, Gradonil_Ral! xD
I managed to install it on my computer using your method. However, it still won't install on my smartphone, still claiming the version to not be supported. >__>
Maybe another line has to be added for mobile support?
Well, I can use the standard browser on my smartphone. I just like firefox more. XD

Thanks to you too, M3J. I'll give it a try.
I'm just hopeless with passwords. *keeps hitting the "password forgotten"-button every time I visit a page in spite of my manual-entry memory scheme and the fact that I only have a pool of about 5 passwords for everything*

About the problem itself.
I've been able to reproduce it on other browsers, so it's not firefox-only.
Here's a screenshot as proof!!!
When logging back in after being signed out, sometimes I only get a blank browser window. ô__o
But it seems like this is only really a problem on firefox, as the other two browsers I tried remember the text I typed into the text field even after pushing the back button. Only firefox forgets the text this quickly.
And the mobile version keeps crashing as I type, which is extra annoying. I'd better not use it for forum posting anymore. >__>;
 

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
170
Reaction score
63
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
You're welcome. :)

I'm not aware of any method to make Lazarus work on a smartphone. I'm pretty sure it predates any FF mobile apps, but I might be wrong.
You can always try asking here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new/mobile/customize
I'm pretty sure they're better equipped to answer that question xD

I'm just hopeless with passwords. *keeps hitting the "password forgotten"-button every time I visit a page in spite of my manual-entry memory scheme
I build my important (lastpass master password, banking, etc.) passwords like this:
1. I find a long word in my native language.
2. I separate it into a few parts that either look, sound or taste (kidding here) like other words I know. Not necessarily in that same language.
3. I use a "train of thought" method on each such part to evolve them into something far from the original words.
4. I mix in a little l33t, throw in some CapItalLLetTers, add a few special characters + sometimes write one or two of the already "deformed" words backwards and voila~
Even if I can't remember the password itself, I can always easily recreate it. And it's unlikely that somebody else could.
I only have a pool of about 5 passwords for everything*
That is... quite unsafe. I agree that you should try LastPass instead. And you can use the method I just mentioned for its master password and other PWs that you don't wanna save anywhere.
 

Tournesol

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
76
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
You can always try asking here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new/mobile/customize
I'm pretty sure they're better equipped to answer that question xD
I wanna, but hell if I can remember my username, pw or even the mail address I used when last using that website. I'm pretty sure that I used it once before, though.

I build my important (lastpass master password, banking, etc.) passwords like this:
1. I find a long word in my native language.
2. I separate it into a few parts that either look, sound or taste (kidding here) like other words I know. Not necessarily in that same language.
3. I use a "train of thought" method on each such part to evolve them into something far from the original words.
4. I mix in a little l33t, throw in some CapItalLLetTers, add a few special characters + sometimes write one or two of the already "deformed" words backwards and voila~
Even if I can't remember the password itself, I can always easily recreate it. And it's unlikely that somebody else could.
That's way too complicated. >__>;
I tried using 1337 in passwords, but the trouble is remembering where I inserted it.
Did I 1337 that E into a 3? Or did I change the A to a 4?? Or maybe I added a 1 at the end? XD
Maybe I did all of the above... this is difficult!!!
But if it's just a single pw I have to remember, it's not that much trouble.
In the end, I just used my website's pw with a single small change as my master pw and hope that I will be able to remember it if I need it.
 
Top