- Joined
- Dec 15, 2008
- Messages
- 119
- Reaction score
- 186
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
I'd like to have a small portion of text translated. The character who says this is supposed to be a righteous man stating his resolve to protect the weak. The part I'm interested in is in bold:
牙を持たぬ人のため
地下百尺の捨石となる
The way I understand it, it means something along the lines of "the invisible, anonymous but indispensable helper." Maybe there's a nuance about bringing harmony and justice, too.
What I'm asking for is confirmation, or in case I got it wrong, an explanation as to what it means.
Here's the text where that specific phrase has been showing up (different from manga context). A soldier's farewell letter to his wife, during WW2, apparently.
Thanks in advance.
PS: On an unrelated note, if you're familiar with Okinawan Japanese and how it works, please share our knowledge. I'd be grateful.
牙を持たぬ人のため
地下百尺の捨石となる
The way I understand it, it means something along the lines of "the invisible, anonymous but indispensable helper." Maybe there's a nuance about bringing harmony and justice, too.
What I'm asking for is confirmation, or in case I got it wrong, an explanation as to what it means.
Here's the text where that specific phrase has been showing up (different from manga context). A soldier's farewell letter to his wife, during WW2, apparently.
佐藤章
菊水隊 イ36潜、イ37潜、イ47潜
昭和19年11月8日出撃
妻への手紙
まりゑ殿
かねて覚悟し念願していた「海い征かば」の名誉の出発の日が来た。
日本男子として皇国の運命を背負って立つは当然のことではあるが然し
これで「俺も日本男子」だぞと、自覚の念を強うして非常にうれしい。
短い間ではあったが、心からのお世話になった。俺にとっては日本一の妻であった。
小生は何処に居らうとも、君の身辺を守っている。正しい道を正しく直く生き抜いてくれ。
子供も、唯堂々と育て上げてくれ。所謂偉くすることもいらぬ。金持ちにする必要もない。
日本の運命を負って地下百尺の捨石となる男子を育て上げよ、小生も立派に死んでくる。
充分体に気をつけて栄へ行く日本の姿を小生の姿と思いつつ強く正しく生き抜いてくれ。
大東亜戦争に出陣するに際して
昭和十八年九月二十一日
回天搭乗員・佐藤少尉(左)
菊水隊 イ36潜、イ37潜、イ47潜
昭和19年11月8日出撃
妻への手紙
まりゑ殿
かねて覚悟し念願していた「海い征かば」の名誉の出発の日が来た。
日本男子として皇国の運命を背負って立つは当然のことではあるが然し
これで「俺も日本男子」だぞと、自覚の念を強うして非常にうれしい。
短い間ではあったが、心からのお世話になった。俺にとっては日本一の妻であった。
小生は何処に居らうとも、君の身辺を守っている。正しい道を正しく直く生き抜いてくれ。
子供も、唯堂々と育て上げてくれ。所謂偉くすることもいらぬ。金持ちにする必要もない。
日本の運命を負って地下百尺の捨石となる男子を育て上げよ、小生も立派に死んでくる。
充分体に気をつけて栄へ行く日本の姿を小生の姿と思いつつ強く正しく生き抜いてくれ。
大東亜戦争に出陣するに際して
昭和十八年九月二十一日
回天搭乗員・佐藤少尉(左)
PS: On an unrelated note, if you're familiar with Okinawan Japanese and how it works, please share our knowledge. I'd be grateful.


