Chapter One Piece Chapter 1005 Discussion

Fox666

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This is not something new. The same happened against Kalifa.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
As a One Piece fan I'm upset that Sanji continues to fall for the same trap over and over again. This whole idea that people are dying because of Sanji's goofiness mid-war needs to stop. Nami and Ussop survived devastating headbutts from Ulti, Robin can handle herself, X Drake already swore to protect Chopper.
Who died because of Sanji's goofiness?

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Calm down. Didn't call your argument stupid. Have you tried to see it this way: Zeff taught him red leg style, and that he should never hit women with it. That's his father figure, that saved his life. To renounce that way which he was brought up, would be like to renounce a part of himself, and he would end up not being Sanji. Imagine if someone gave you to choose: renounce your parents or die. Somethings are worth dying for, otherwise life would be a shallow place
Okay, my father taught me many good things, but let's assume he believes females are inferior to men in everywhere from intelligentce all the way to worth.

If I decide to not acknowledge this belief of his anymore, does that make me shallow? No, it makes me a better person than my father.

If renouncing family means I can save the life of people I care, I would renounce them.

Let's not forget how stupid this value of Sanji is.

If a principle or value result in a meaning less death, that value and principle the way that individual understands it is stupid.

I like how you're completely ignoring that:
  • He's putting his ENTIRE crew in danger by not doing his job.

They potentially lose the war and millions of people suffer because he didn't play his role.

We could have a reality where Sanji's choice results in the death of the crew, the scabbards, the SN and the entire Wano is enslaved. I guess that principle must be great because he didn't renounce his family, but he's imprisoned, starving and millions are dying because of his choice. Imagine being able to go to sleep with that on one's consciousness.
The choice of not fighting a woman that's evil and murderous who threatened to dismember the limbs of his friend, torture her until she was no longer useful, but still choose not to fight.
Somehow, I'm the one being unreasonable.

A$APBog

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Like I said, before Kalifa, Sanji had a lot of decisive moments and the train was an insane moment. So seeing him being trashed was frustrating but a lot of elements counterbalanced the disapointment

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
And if you read my previous posts, I did say that.

I just said it's stupid because this is a war that would determine:
  • If his comrades live.
  • If the people of Wano live.
  • If the scabbards survive.
  • Losing this war means death and slavery.

What's wrong with saying Sanji's principle is crippling and stupid?

O_n_Sly

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Who died because of Sanji's goofiness?
Read the comments many have been complaining that his actions are putting the crew in danger. I'm pointing out the crew is just fine and everyone can handle themselves. No one died and no will die

Arima

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Lanji, and ppl had the nerve to say he was going to battle the yonkos with Zoro and Luffy lmao

gohvan

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Okay, my father taught me many good things, but let's assume he believes females are inferior to men in everywhere from intelligent all the way to worth.

If I decide to not acknowledge this belief of his anymore, does that make me shallow? No, it makes me a better person than my father.

If renouncing family means I can save the life of people I care, I would renounce them.

Let's not forget how stupid this value of Sanji is.

If a principle or value result in a meaning less death, that value and principle the way that individual understands it is stupid.

I like how you're completely ignoring that:
  • He's putting his ENTIRE crew in danger by not doing his job.

They potentially lose the war and millions of people suffer because he didn't play his role.

We could have a reality where Sanji's choice results in the death of the crew, the scabbards, the SN and the entire Wano is enslaved. I guess that principle must be great because he didn't renounce his family, but he's imprisoned, starving and millions are dying because of his choice. Imagine being able to go to sleep with that on one's consciousness.
The choice of not fighting a woman that's evil and murderous who threatened to dismember the limbs of his friend, torture her until she was no longer useful, but still choose not to fight.
Somehow, I'm the one being unreasonable.
I see your point now. You're absolutely right. I apologise for having disagreed with you, and not having aknowledged that this value of Sanji, as you mentioned again, is stupid

O_n_Sly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lanji, and ppl had the nerve to say he was going to battle the yonkos with Zoro and Luffy lmao
I am new to the Lanji term, idk how I missed it. The fact that I can look it up and find an urban dictionary t/l is amazing. Wow lol

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I see your point now. You're absolutely right. I apologise for having disagreed with you, and not having aknowledged that this value of Sanji, as you mentioned again, is stupid
Dude, all good, You don't need to agree with me.

I just think Sanji deserves better portrayal and Oda's just not done him justice. I'd have been much happier without Sanji being portrayed as dead weight and actually fighting and pulling his weight.

Did Oda really have to put him in this situation for the story to be interesting?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Scabbards are all out and down.

Imagine a situation where Black Maria went to kill them, but Sanji is free and runs to aid them.

Black Maria enters the room with the 9 scabbards all unconscious and injured, Sanji appears, and does what? The conclusion is obvious.

Wano arc is really proving to be something special.

bigfishnoj1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the most frustrating thing for me and a lot of people isn't that it's uncharacteristic for Sanji to be in this situation, it's that this all seems so pointless and inevitable. We know Sanji won't fight women and we know he isn't going to be knocked out of the arc just because he won't fight a woman.

And yet, Oda astonishingly continues to write this into the story as if the readers are sitting on the edge of their seats. It just feels like a waste of time and thoroughly uninteresting because we know what the end-result is going to be.

Even the whole 'hyping up Robin' thing could be written up in a million ways. He could've hyped her up to the executives after learning they were targeting her. He could have said something to Jinbei after reuniting with him on that floor. Hell, he's now going to be fighting jack and that could have made plenty of sense by crossing paths w/ Jinbei.

Given that the manga is released only once a week (if even), it makes sense that people become frustrated reading something that has such an obvious conclusion with little to no character development. I imagine it can feel like you're being cheated out of a chapter and that the story isn't getting richer or progressing.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hey likely he will beat a YC now!

Half dead Jack! ;)

fallou

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I've never read FT. I had to drop Naruto and Bleach because the story got stale. But Oda has been hitting consistently. I've noticed this sentiment coincides with the fall of Sanji! Didn't hear any of you whining during WCI about the story falling off. But now we are in Wano and Zoro's up top the tears and whining begins!!!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oda dragging Sanji = Bitching fans 'One piece Sucks'
Don't you know what "regardless of the Sanji situation" means lol?
Anyways, my criticism regarding the quality of the manga has never involved Sanji. It has always been focused on the weird pacing, the plotholes, the multiplication of side characters and diminishing of screentime for the actual crew, and the bad characterization.
I get it that you're tired of the Sanji debates, but please kindly avoid linking me to it

zafool974

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
So it can't be fictional and make sense without Sanji not hitting female villains trying to kill his crew mate.

It however is fine and within objective... if Luffy or Zoro were in the same situation, and defended themselves, protected their crew mates and defeated the opponent.

But Sanji doing the exact same thing wouldn't make sense?

This has nothing to do with realism or the main objective. Sanji fighting and defending himself here wouldn't have zilch to with the realism or objective of the series.

Realism and objective in what way? That sounds like an arbitrary claim that doesn't make any sense.
That's just the way Oda writes Sanji, people are gonna hate some more in the future for the exact same reason. Something like that is assured to happen again, it's all part of Sanji's gimmick and I don't think Oda will stop anytime soon. It is silly and it's just how his character is, no way around it. Maybe in the future Luffy or Robin may have to talk to him or he will find a way around that but I would guess it's not happening.

Sanji always goofs off before he does something useful. It's redundant and frustrating at times but his character always ends up being useful even if it's not so flashy lately.

I don't understand how people don't see WCI as a testament to Sanji's character, he saved EVERYONE. And yes powerwise he's lagging behind but remember that his dream isn't on the same scope as Zoro and Luffy's. He doesn't train as much and doesn't focus on getting stronger all the time.

Now he got a suit and people say it's just a tool and not a powerup, but I see it as an extension of his body, he's Germa after all. Zoro is not as strong without swords, let alone his very own swords.

And his next fight is sure to impress, just be a bit patient and you'll see him go full germa.

And I would argue Jimbei is now number 3, So even if Queen said so, he's relegated to 4th place. Sanji got screwed there as well.

Barrier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If Sanji's capture ends up to add nothing to the plot or character development, then we do need to question Oda's decisions. Manga has been going on for over 1000 chapters, but if wasted panels could be avoided then we could have been further into the story. Demon Slayer is a good example.

For all that is saying this is Sanji's gag. That is true, but a gag can be used to make a character look good as well. Zoro got lost as well, but he cut a tower in half. Zoro also managed to reach Kaido.
If Oda wanted, Sanji could have burned through the webs and ran away without taking any damage. Or use this opportunity to develop future sight to dodge any attacks from women. Or a form of King's haki (like Zoro's intimidation on the dragon and Monet) that makes a woman unable to attack Sanji.

Since this is a Shonen, we know nobody will die (some comments above), but if that's how people read a story then you are missing out.

Itsmepatrick

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Yamato should go help Luffy and the others at the top while Sanji needs to take care of Jack first before helping Marco fight Queen and King.

FetherMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, Yamato was the one aiding Kinemon?. Not sure based on the way the spoilers are laid out.

I thought, Jack was defeated and still on the roof unconscious?. Brooks and Robin fighting together against Black Maria should be interesting.

yo, ho, ho. 💀

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Damn Sanji really wouldn't lay a hand on females. I feel bad for him because he has too much honor for women. But I don't feel sorry for him because he is physically fucked up. We need to remember that this guy can take hits. He kept tanking blows during the arc he was introduced. When Nami swapped bodies with him on PH she is glad Sanji has a durable body. He is probably hurt but mostly I predict him more of in a "given up" state due to his opponents being Women and not really KOed in the traditional sense.

I hope he goes on to fight Jack as Robin and Brook deals with spidergirl. Personally I support the theory of Raid Suit Sanji wiping the floor with Page One earlier in the Wano arc so fighting Jack for me would be a natural progression. It's gonna be a great fight if it happens. Injured Jack vs injured Sanji. Mammoth steak on a tusk for the whole crew to eat after this.

This being said, I rather the next chapter being more of Worse Gen vs Kaido and Big Mom. Zoro about to use Enma to chop shit up on a whole new level.

Last edited:

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
And if you read my previous posts, I did say that.

I just said it's stupid because this is a war that would determine:
  • If his comrades live.
  • If the people of Wano live.
  • If the scabbards survive.
  • Losing this war means death and slavery.

What's wrong with saying Sanji's principle is crippling and stupid?
It's not too different from Ennies Lobby. If they lost, his friends and the people of Galley-La would get killed or sent to Impel Down.

If it's stupid, it's not more stupid than Sanji already was for years...