Chapter One Piece Chapter 937 Discussion / 938 Predictions

Hannibal Psyche

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Personally don't believe Oda just threw in Black shading. Haki is generally invisible. As Rayleigh himself explained it, it's invisible. Even the Black Armament we see is Invisible, but it's just a stronger variant of the basic one. While we didn't see it at Marineford, it's still consistent because at that time, Luffy couldn't detect Haki.

As for how far back Haki was planned, it must have been planned pretty early on. Oda introduced Smoker within the first 100 chapters, a Logia that has no elemental weaknesses. Water cannot make Smoke solid nor can sand or anything for that matter. The only thing that would suffice is Haki. Being that a Logia was introduced within the first 100 chapters, Armament also must have been already planned. Can't start a fire without water to put it out. Oda is far to meticulous.

Only thing I think Oda can create on the fly are new plot directions and new characters. However, the fundamental structure of the OP world from Haki to Kairoseki and such devices, those things would have needed to be already created at the foundation with the consistency that it has.

Sachsenhesse

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
As for how far back Haki was planned, it must have been planned pretty early on. Oda introduced Smoker within the first 100 chapters, a Logia that has no elemental weaknesses. Water cannot make Smoke solid nor can sand or anything for that matter. The only thing that would suffice is Haki. Being that a Logia was introduced within the first 100 chapters, Armament also must have been already planned. Can't start a fire without water to put it out. Oda is far to meticulous.
I disagree, simultan to Smoker was seastone introduced, so we had a way for dealing with Logias...weaknesses aside.

Hrathgrath

Reaction score
Country
United States
I disagree, simultan to Smoker was seastone introduced, so we had a way for dealing with Logias...weaknesses aside.
True, and on that point, wind (if that turns out to be Dragon's fruit ability) would be an elemental balance against smoke as well. It's possible that he created haki before, I'll grant you that @Hannibal Psyche , but I personally feel that it was tacked on. There is reason to believe otherwise, with the skypea arc specifically being very early on and haki being introduced (though we didn't know it was haki at the time). While I agree that the whole black aspect of Haki may be explained by Luffy only being able to detect haki, and therefore we can see it (as the reader), it just seems a stretch to me, though I wont rule it out of course!

ShishiSonson

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I do not think so. Because Dragon was able to hold Smoker's arm. So we can fairly assume that Oda has planned weaknesses to Logia users, one for everyone (seastones) and one for an elite part (haki).
We all know that Oda is a good writer, and like every good writers, when you introduce a power (logia), you need to take in consideration a weakness to deal with.

keeper1h

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Water, Elemental weakness, Seastone, Haki and such are all ways to bind a plot device able to break the story, if misused.
It's pretty clear that when Devil Fruits went way crazier than originally planned, Oda had to design new ways to counteract the insane powerhouses created by his mind.
But he did it an a graceful and logic-wise manner, so to me i's all ok.

And yes: Black Haki was present in Marineford, just watch the "I'm Whitebeard" scene, when the camera stops on Whitebeard's pink shaking arm.
That's not a failed use Gura Gura, that's black haki used by an old man pushed at his limit, but seen by the eyes of Luffy,Coby/Helmeppo and anyone able to tell the story to Usopp.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I do not think so. Because Dragon was able to hold Smoker's arm. So we can fairly assume that Oda has planned weaknesses to Logia users, one for everyone (seastones) and one for an elite part (haki).
We all know that Oda is a good writer, and like every good writers, when you introduce a power (logia), you need to take in consideration a weakness to deal with.

You were saying? Dragon holds his Jitte.

Hannibal Psyche

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, Smoker was only a low level ranked character. Low level characters cannot be introduced as being invincible, therefore, there must have been a viable method to defeat such a character.

Also, Kairoseki has always been rare in the series even in the first 100 chapters and further which adds more credence to the idea that he already had Haki developed. Kairoseki has never been a viable method with that said. Even now, only few characters have it. Even in the first 500 chapters where we could have given Kairoseki the benefit of the doubt, still not many people possessed it.

If it were a common thing where every nobody with a weapon was in possession of Kairoseki or had a viable method to obtain Kairoseki, you might have a point, it's something only those affiliated with the WG that held Kairoseki. It's not something many pirates have. Only pirates so far to own any Kairoseki are:
  1. Crocodile (Former Shichibukai/WG agent)
  2. Joker (Former Shichibukai/WG agent)
No regular Pirate tends to possess such things. It's not easily procured given how rare it is.

If Smoker were of the highest rank simply because of his ability, it might add credence to the idea Haki was not developed, but he is as I said of low rank.

We also saw Haki in the very first chapter of the series. So, it is very likely he had it already developed. Oda's far too meticulous to think he created a lowly ranked Logia without Haki already being created.

Just because we never saw it initially doesn't mean he never planned it. It would be like saying because Kaido and co. were only revealed almost 600+ chapters later, it's likely he only developed them (Yonko) recently. He probably had them developed long ago. One Piece is just a very long story with massive world building.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

There is reason to believe otherwise, with the skypea arc specifically being very early on and haki being introduced (though we didn't know it was haki at the time). While I agree that the whole black aspect of Haki may be explained by Luffy only being able to detect haki, and therefore we can see it (as the reader), it just seems a stretch to me, though I wont rule it out of course!
Kairoseki has never been something every dick tom and harry had in One Piece. Even in the first 100 chapters, only very few people possessed it. In fact, no one had Kairoseki besides Smoker himself.

Then you had something like 2 people in 200 chapters. Crocodile. Only WG affiliates had any Kairoseki,. Not something most people had. It certainly wasn't something that was easily attainable and therefore viable.

Then Skypiea, only 1 character managed to acquire some and that was Wiper. If it were viable of a method, we'd have been seeing Kairoseki bullets, and we saw none. It was never a viable method.

Many things are introduced that we don't know what they really are at the time. It doesn't mean he hadn't already developed it. Wano has been in the works for decades, and we're only just seeing it now. Doesn't mean it wasn't planned for.

The only argument that would make sense that Oda intended to use Kairoseki to fight against Logia would be if Kairoseki was a common thing to own. It never was and it still isn't. Haki was introduced as early as chapter 1. It implies he already had it developed and has just slowly introduced it.

It can be called a stretch if you see it that way, but one thing that is a fact is even the Black Haki that we see is invisible too because no one on the Sunny noticed a big black arm against Surume. They however did notice that his arm was strong. They would surely have asked how or why Luffy's arms suddenly became black if they saw it.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
No regular Pirate tends to possess such things. It's not easily procured given how rare it is.
Didnt Wiper had also an seastone? In the friggin Sky?

Also rare is quite a stretch, Marineships have seastones attached to get through the calm belt.

Anyway seastone aside i really dont think haki was planned from the beginning, its just to inconsequent. I even doubt it was a concept at the Ace vs. BB fight. If you think about it how BB brags about to be able to touch logias...it just doesnt feel right. Oda did try some new powers, but i think most of them werd regarded as not impressive enough.

We have the six formulas... mantra... etc. Why Tekkai, if you could just use hardening...?

To me it just seems that Oda found a way to bind them all losely together.