Chapter One Piece Chapter 971 Discussion

KimCorrea

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The torture probably starts now. Kaidou telling Oden if he spills about laugh tale and poneglyph he will let everyone go.

Ēsu Taichou

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Much respects for Oden right now, even though he is naive, you can tell he really cares about his people..he's not been shown to be a able to strategize so I can understand why he felt he needed to do what he did.

nik87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Pretty good chapter.
Oda seems to be going after another legendary panel that would join WB's death panel and Zoro's nothing happened and the way it is developing he might succeed. Oden is pretty badass to withstand the torture for an entire hour, no doubt that he will succeed.

Interesting to see that he fought Kaido in the flashback when he attacked Orochi and they were pretty much equal it seems.
It was foolish to believe Orochi's and Kaido's words back then but he was in a fail-fail situation however you take it. He tried fighting Orochi, it didnt work out. He tried fighting Kaido, it didnt work out. In the war, he could have been successful if there was no Momo double but the story deems the fail necessary.

All we have to see is how Oden went out, what changed in the end that caused the entire country to weep after him.
Orochi is bad guy however you slice it but there is more to it than just being evil, he is getting revenge for what happened to him because of his grandfather's actions. I am interested if there are other surviving members of the Kurozumi family. :hmm

Even an idiot like Luffy understand... People die.
Interesting that pre-TS Luffy understands what post-TS Luffy doesnt. :toc

KimCorrea

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
So kaidou and orochi promised to leave the country, not oden?

Lord Traffy Law

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lmao ofen is still a fool for taking them at their word
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ngl orochi and kaido earned the win
Oden is a damn fool
As much as u like him, dangerously naïve

KimCorrea

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Oden saved the hostages While making sure everyone else wasnt injured. I guess he felt responsible for people mistreating the kurozumi offspring.
It does explain orochi being the asshole he is but it doesn't justify him being an asshole.
Oden believed their promise the first time but on the second time he was handcuffed and with hostages in front of him, he didn't have a choice. That's sad and the way he is killed is even worse. I guess he really believed he wouldve survived the oil.

We all know he could've fought with them the first time, but he didn't knew.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So.... wouldn't oden's haki be enough to protect oden from the boiling? We have seen haki being effective to vaying degrees in protecting people from the full might of logia users. Add to that people much weaker than oden being able to take on impel down's baptism... How is this not just barely annoying for oden at this point?

As for the final page of the chapter.... "who is the lord idiot now!?".... oden is. Trusting orochi under those circumstances is beyond stupid. Specially if he had five years to actually act.

I am kinda surprised that orochi is doing this to wano just as revenge. I figured it was just greed and whatnot but this is just way worst. This is him causing widespread misery just for the heck of it. Not even doflamingo or crocodile set out to create misery for the heck of it, in their case there was some purpose behind it.

Luke Beifong

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
So.... wouldn't oden's haki be enough to protect oden from the boiling? We have seen haki being effective to vaying degrees in protecting people from the full might of logia users. Add to that people much weaker than oden being able to take on impel down's baptism... How is this not just barely annoying for oden at this point?
Well... I think it’s because Oden is pretty sure broken up, everything goes wrong, he loses to Kaido, he loses his country to Orochi, his will is broken (not completely, but in part is almost sure), his Haki probably is far from his peak... And Oden is boiling in oil carrying 9 samurais, not water, it’s a lot hotter and more difficult to handle than a “simple” baptism in hot water

Lexusflame

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting that pre-TS Luffy understands what post-TS Luffy doesnt. :toc
While Luffy's mentality has changed fro pre to post, In what sense does Luffy not understand?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well... I think it’s because Oden is pretty sure broken up, everything goes wrong, he loses to Kaido, he loses his country to Orochi, his will is broken (not completely, but in part is almost sure), his Haki probably is far from his peak... And Oden is boiling in oil carrying 9 samurais, not water, it’s a lot hotter and more difficult to handle than a “simple” baptism in hot water
True, the oil bit is definitely adds substantially more difficulty to the situation. And maybe if oden was in top condition he'd be able to handle the situation, albeit with some pain. Though it is worth noting that haki can be used to resist lava which is substantially hotten than the roughly 250 degrees you can reach with hot oil. If we assume oden at this point is roughly or at about yonko lv then even a fraction of his haki capacity should be enough to survive burning oil. Neither orochi or kaido are really honorable so I assume that there will be more to oden's death than merely being deep fried.

Pandora

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I still think that Oden was pretty idiotic and naive to believe Orochi and Kaido but him carrying all of his retainers as he stood inside the boiling water was really beastly, i feel like his death is gonna be epic probably the same as whitebeard when he died standing. As for Toki i think the reason she is so calm is because she knows what will happen in the future , she knows that Kaido and Orochi will eventually get their due but iam still pretty disappointed that she did not reveal anything about the void century. What is the point of her coming from the past if she doesnt reveal anything big about what happened...

jaymizzo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Man reading the translation made me a bit teary. The guy was in a horrible predicament and like someone already stated, we know the future but he doesn't. We know what kind of deprived asshat Orochi is but Oden nust have felt guilty and responsible.

I loved Kaido because he represented my favorite mythical creature, but Christ, i want him to die horribly as well. No amount of kong guns will be satisfying.

Im all aboard the Zoro slicing him up now. Luffy can beat him to submission but Zoro has the necessary tools to turn him into some nice Dragon steak.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
As for the final page of the chapter.... "who is the lord idiot now!?".... oden is. Trusting orochi under those circumstances is beyond stupid. Specially if he had five years to actually act.
Exactly my reaction. Oden had so much potential and was hyped as fuck, then he got cheapshotted and made dumb decisions over dumb decisions. For me he is a waste of a character.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This is how I think the initial encounter between orochi and oden should have played out:

Oden: DIE YOU BASTARD!
Old man: BARRIER! YOINK!
Oden: FRUIT USER!?
Orochi: Yep, you are helpless to do anything to me.
Oden: Yeah, I can't destroy that barrier.
Old man: *laughs*
Oden: You know, this is a nice shogun palace. It'd be a shame if someone were to.... cut it.
Orochi: Errhh, what?
Oden: ODEN STYLE: FUCK YOU! *destroys the castle right under orochi's feet*
Old man: stops crossing fingers.
Orochi: Dies in the rubble
Oden: My only regret is that you died from falling 20 feet rather than my blade. Now where is kaido? I am in the mood for eel sushi.
Some wano guy: Oden! You destroyed the shogun's palace!
Oden: Yes, I destroyed MY palace. Did stating facts become a thing in wano while I was gone?

jaymizzo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will reread the chapter anyway for clarity.
On this, I concede that I was wrong and Oden didn't overpower Kaido. I guess i wanted the man to have some redeeming quality at least before this chapter.

Regardless of his naivety, he truly tried to save as many of his allies and innocents as he could. Granted some of us disagree with his methods, he still put the lives of many above his own reputation.

This is how I think the initial encounter between orochi and oden should have played out:

Oden: DIE YOU BASTARD!
Old man: BARRIER! YOINK!
Oden: FRUIT USER!?
Orochi: Yep, you are helpless to do anything to me.
Oden: Yeah, I can't destroy that barrier.
Old man: *laughs*
Oden: You know, this is a nice shogun palace. It'd be a shame if someone were to.... cut it.
Orochi: Errhh, what?
Oden: ODEN STYLE: FUCK YOU! *destroys the castle right under orochi's feet*
Old man: stops crossing fingers.
Orochi: Dies in the rubble
Oden: My only regret is that you died from falling 20 feet rather than my blade. Now where is kaido? I am in the mood for eel sushi.
Some wano guy: Oden! You destroyed the shogun's palace!
Oden: Yes, I destroyed MY palace. Did stating facts become a thing in wano while I was gone?

Brilliant!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Something I am kinda confused about though.... When orochi met the old lady it kinda seemed like orochi didn't even know he was a kurozumi and was largely unaware of how things played regarding his grandfather. But now we see that orochi's motivation is largely to inflict as much pain as possible on wano as revenge. Does that make sense? Orochi seems easily manipulated... The part that is specially weird is the confused expression everyone shows when orochi being a kurozumi is revealed. And even oden's expression when orochi talks about his "past". Is.... there a chance that orochi isn't actually a kurozumi?

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think it mainly comes down to the Beast Pirates being so shallow, but this deal actually makes a lot of sense if you realize what they are, savage Mongol barbarians.

The real Mongols revolutionarized killing in the sense that they didn't care about sex, religion, heritage or age, strong or weak they just murdered the fuck out of everyone, soiling the land, burning down villages and entire cities and even using the plague, the most horrifying of all diseases at that time, as a weapon.

Cities, Kingdoms and entire civilizations had no choice but to agree to the Mongols term or risk the end of everything.

I think it would have been better if Oda had actually shown under which threat Wano is from the Beast Pirates, but he focused on Orochi so much that it became easy to overlook with whom Oden is actually making a deal here, Kaido.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think it mainly comes down to the Beast Pirates being so shallow, but this deal actually makes a lot of sense if you realize what they are, savage Mongol barbarians.

The real Mongols revolutionarized killing in the sense that they didn't care about sex, religion, heritage or age, strong or weak they just murdered the fuck out of everyone, soiling the land, burning down villages and entire cities and even using the plague, the most horrifying of all diseases at that time, as a weapon.

Cities, Kingdoms and entire civilizations had no choice but to agree to the Mongols term or risk the end of everything.

I think it would have been better if Oda had actually shown under which threat Wano is from the Beast Pirates, but he focused on Orochi so much that it became easy to overlook with whom Oden is actually making a deal here, Kaido.
Yeah but.... that's not really oden's situation here. The mongols were still an overpowering military force at the time... In turn the point is made here that by the time oden returned to wano he was the one with the greater military power. As in, oden could have rallied samurai and yakuza behind him and actually overpower kaido. Oden almost won against kaido 5 years later ffs... Oden lost because he was basically bullied into submission by a worthless shit like orochi, not even kaido. In the end the issue here definitely isn't kaido being an overpowering force against oden.... Because kaido in fact wasn't. The issue here is oden being bullied into submission and trusting orochi. This is about oden's mistakes, not kaido's power.

Shasha23

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
OHHH so Orochi wasnt being as ars for the sake of being an ars but to get revenge for what Wano people did to the innocent Kurozumi clan members, damnit i hate when Oda does this, making us the point of view of the antagonist and understanding their reasons :( , if i was Orochi i would have probably done the same if not even worse.

nik87

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
While Luffy's mentality has changed fro pre to post, In what sense does Luffy not understand?
He is giving same speeches post-TS that Vivi gave in those panels where Luffy told her otherwise, it's like he is progressing backwards...
He knew what reality is like pre-TS and now in post-TS he talks about idealistic scenarios Vivi spoke about...