On Break One Piece Chapter 975 Discussion

Mifec

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Nah. Not a fan of ninjas.

Anyhow, I've read Bleach, even the quincy arc. Kubo started losing it already with the arrancar arc. It ended up being a mediocre manga for me. Dragonball and One Piece are only two shounen's for me.

My favorite manga is Berserk actually. Best story ever written, period.

OP until Marineford is consistently the best written Shonen, it stumbles a bit after the timeskip but at Zou Oda fixed that.

Naruto is fine for the first few arcs but starts turning to shit even before it's own timeskip. By the end it's an unsalvageable disgusting mess. Not as bad as Bleach but close to it. I'd never ever recommend wasting your time with it.

fernandota123

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well, in matter of consistency and story, i would say that FMA and OP are the best Shounen (of the ones that i read, ofc). But we have to take in consideration the length of the manga, since its way more difficult to maintain a good writing in 400+ chapters.
I mean, every big 3 manga (Naruto, OP and Bleach, back at that time) at some point of its story (manga or anime), was a piece of sht.
OP: First arcs of the manga and first arcs post timeskip were really bad, IMO. Tbh, back then, i've given up watching OP the first time i tried to, because its first episodes were really bad. It started to look good during Arlong's arc and after that became the best of all
Bleach: Aizen, don't need to say anything. But the first arcs are good enough. The downpoint was not showing every characthers bankai, so they made the last arc to toss everyone in a battle to do this. AND THEY DIDN'T SHOW SHINJI HIRAKO'S ONE, MAAAN
Naruto: The climax of the whole series (great war) was reeeeally bad. But still, marked a generation, if you see the anime and ignore the fillers, its great until the great war.
HxH: I really like this one, but we will never see the end. And btw, i don't like the last arc.
Dragonball: never read the manga, but for me its from a different generation. i've never saw a "storyline" in DB, tbh. Its just fights and "random" powerups. But still, i love this one since remembers my childhood
FMA: great fights, great story, but too short in comparison with the others
Boku no Hero Academia: This is the next big one, IMO. If doesn't end soon, it will mark a generation. It has great fights, an ok story and its very realistic until now in therms of power level (in other words, doesnt have aizen sh*ts)
Dr. Stone: Man, this one its great, but we can't compare with the others.
Kimetsu no Yaiba: great at the start, but this fight with Muzan its very similar to Aizen's, so its gettin really bad. And bad drawing too.
Black Clover: kind of meh
I'm hyping Undead x Unluck series. It has sooo much potential, i think its gonna be a great one if doesnt get cancelled like Gokutei Higuma (man, i was hyping this one too)

Never watched Naruto. From what I heard, I didn't exactly miss on a masterpiece. Anyway, what do your observation haki powers tell you about Urouge, will he fight in Wano? 😏
It would make sense to Urouge show in Wano, and i think it will happen, since he has a story with Big Mom and a little interaction with Kaido too
It would be a great help for the Allied Forces, they really need it.
About the WB Commanders, tbh i think that only Izo will show up, maybe +2 Commanders, idk. Weevil will probably go after Marco in WB's Island, and then go after Luffy in the next arc.

thedude

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah. Not a fan of ninjas.

Anyhow, I've read Bleach, even the quincy arc. Kubo started losing it already with the arrancar arc. It ended up being a mediocre manga for me. Dragonball and One Piece are only two shounen's for me.

My favorite manga is Berserk actually. Best story ever written, period.

Mine is Full Metal Alchemist! And "Brotherhood" is the best adaptation. A manga that knew its story and told it without stretching things to absurdity!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

FMA: great fights, great story, but too short in comparison with the others

It would make sense to Urouge show in Wano, and i think it will happen, since he has a story with Big Mom and a little interaction with Kaido too
About the WB Commanders, tbh i think that only Izo will show up, maybe +2 Commanders, idk. Weevil will probably go after Marco in WB's Island, and then go after Luffy in the next arc.
I think that's what makes FMA great. It knew what it wanted to be about and focused on that story and that story alone. It built a world, it introduced a lot of interesting, deep characters, and it didn't every waste your time with unimportant crap.

I'm OK with Urouge not showing up. More people means more chance the Straw Hats get sidelined in the big fights, something i do not want at all. Give each SH their time to shine in a big way Oda! That will go a long way to fixing one of people's biggest post-Time Skip complaints.

fernandota123

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Mine is Full Metal Alchemist! And "Brotherhood" is the best adaptation. A manga that knew its story and told it without stretching things to absurdity!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think that's what makes FMA great. It knew what it wanted to be about and focused on that story and that story alone. It built a world, it introduced a lot of interesting, deep characters, and it didn't every waste your time with unimportant crap.

I'm OK with Urouge not showing up. More people means more chance the Straw Hats get sidelined in the big fights, something i do not want at all. Give each SH their time to shine in a big way Oda! That will go a long way to fixing one of people's biggest post-Time Skip complaints.
Yeah, Brotherhood its GREAT! (tbh, one of the greatest animes that i've seen, great songs, great animation and follow the manga story without bullshits)
I agree with you, FMA goes straight to the point and thats what makes it great, but if take lenght in consideration, we have to agree that its "easier" to write 108 chapters than write 975, for example. I mean, every writer should know when to stop, just like Arakawa did (i mean, she could easily write 108 more chapters with Xing's story and introduce a new enemy out of nowhere and make the manga shitty). Anyway, both are great and i would like if FMA had more chapters, but i don't know if she could make it great as it is.

About the Wano fights, like i said in the matchups thread, i think every strawhat member will shine in this fight. They NEED to powerup and they NEED to fight, since they are about to enter in the finishing line and basically only Luffy, Zoro and Jinbe are strong in the crew. I can't see a BB Pirates x Strawhat Pirates fight like this. I mean, its like in the timeskip they only trained their "functions" on the crew (nami became a better navigator, chopper a better doctor etc) and didn't grew significatively in therms of power. They need to awake their Haki in this battle, so they don't became a burden to the PK.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, Brotherhood its GREAT! (tbh, one of the greatest animes that i've seen, great songs, great animation and follow the manga story without bullshits)
I agree with you, FMA goes straight to the point and thats what makes it great, but if take lenght in consideration, we have to agree that its "easier" to write 108 chapters than write 975, for example. I mean, every writer should know when to stop, just like Arakawa did (i mean, she could easily write 108 more chapters with Xing's story and introduce a new enemy out of nowhere and make the manga shitty). Anyway, both are great and i would like if FMA had more chapters, but i don't know if she could make it great as it is.

About the Wano fights, like i said in the matchups thread, i think every strawhat member will shine in this fight. They NEED to powerup and they NEED to fight, since they are about to enter in the finishing line and basically only Luffy, Zoro and Jinbe are strong in the crew. I can't see a BB Pirates x Strawhat Pirates fight like this. I mean, its like in the timeskip they only trained their "functions" on the crew (nami became a better navigator, chopper a better doctor etc) and didn't grew significatively in therms of power. They need to awake their Haki in this battle, so they don't became a burden to the PK.
Lol, if it were so easy more writers would do it!

Yeah, the BB pirates vs SH pirates is being setup as 1vs1 battles, so they all need to power up. They'll get their fights, i just hope its this arc. I know Zoro will get his, he is the swordsman in the country of samurai! And he has 2 of the main swords from the country. I just hope it's a high degree of difficulty fight, like against Kaku or Das Bones. No more Pica's please!

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
OP until Marineford is consistently the best written Shonen
loooool :XD you mean from Alabasta to Marineford.

Anyway, what if Luffy's slated to fight Big Mom first before Kaidou as a way to show how much stronger he's gotten? If he can beat or even damage her, then that means he has a chance against Kaidou.

fernandota123

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Lol, if it were so easy more writers would do it!

Yeah, the BB pirates vs SH pirates is being setup as 1vs1 battles, so they all need to power up. They'll get their fights, i just hope its this arc. I know Zoro will get his, he is the swordsman in the country of samurai! And he has 2 of the main swords from the country. I just hope it's a high degree of difficulty fight, like against Kaku or Das Bones. No more Pica's please!
Its no easy, its easier. Just pure logic, if you have more story to write and more character to show, its harder to keep a high standard. Like you said, what makes FMA brilliant its get straight to the point, but it could go for more chapters, since we didnt get to see all its "world" (Xing, for example). I mean, if Kishimoto wrote FMA, certainly he would show a new super enemy from Xing and pull some shit just to extend the story. She just knew when to stop, unlike Bleach and Naruto, that extended until the point that became a crap. Seriously, Naruto had a great story, great characters, epic fights and could be easily the best manga from all time if ended earlier. We got a shitty Great War, and then, out of nowhere, we get new enemies just to extend the story to a new generation. I mean, anyone is reading Boruto? Its REALLY (like really really) bad. I don't even know how the new kids are liking it, because it sucks hard. All of the its story gets "pointless" because he didnt know when to stop (well, money matters after all).

About the fights, i got a good feeling about this next battle, i'm seeing good matchups like in Ennies Lobby. Hope the SHs will shine! About Zoro, hes the only SH that get good fights apart from Luffy, its sad. Oda need to give Sanji a decent fight in this battle. He's not a goofy character like Usopp, he's in top three/four in the crew and Oda really need to make him stronger

Anyway, what if Luffy's slated to fight Big Mom first before Kaidou as a way to show how much stronger he's gotten? If he can beat or even damage her, then that means he has a chance against Kaidou.
Well, it could go that way, but i don't believe. Tbh, i think it makes more sense to Luffy fight some strong dude from Kaido or Big Mom before going for Kaido's head. But i don't believe Luffy can solo Big Mom or Kaido right now, so his fight its going to be with more allies.
And btw, agreed, OP is the best from Alabasta to Marineford. Then a little skip, and i think Zou-Wano will make it great again

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I dunno, it doesn't make that much of a sense if the strong person is nowhere close to Kaidou or Big Mom's strength. Even if he has a relatively easy enough battle, it doesn't mean he could hurt either Emperor.

Web_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Dragonball: never read the manga, but for me its from a different generation. i've never saw a "storyline" in DB, tbh. Its just fights and "random" powerups. But still, i love this one since remembers my childhood.

Yeah, dragonball was basically chilhood nostalgia for a lot of people. It was also the first time I've seen an anime. As a 10 year old child, it was jaw dropping for me. It just had something in comparison to western cartoons like Conan or Wild Cats. It had decent story and a feeling of adventure, at least for first two seasons. It may look simple and shallow now, but it was a starting point for shounen industry.

Anyway, went awfully off topic. Speaking of Wano, does anyone wants to see Zoro in full samurai getup, with kabuto and lower face mask(;forgot the name?)

goldb

Overlord
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand the series is on a break, hence the leniency but please let's keep it relevant to at least the series and the current arc. There is a whole forum available to discuss your preferences between different series. I don't want any complaints when posts begin to disappear.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States

The thing Oda kinda shot himself in the foot with on these that I don't get is the timeline of high level fights. Any time two incredibly strong fighters fight; the fight either goes nowhere over like a day or two, or takes 5+ days (Jinbei / Ace, Aokiji / Akainu). How is Luffy & Co. going to defeat two yonko? Even if he defeats them I feel like based on the timelines of fights in OP it will be a week before he wins. I think Katakuri took Luffy close to 12 hours to defeat? Cracker too?

What I'm getting at is that Luffy defeating Big Mom and Kaido would take like a month based on how Oda does these Yonko / Admiral level fights. Lol.

fernandota123

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The thing Oda kinda shot himself in the foot with on these that I don't get is the timeline of high level fights. Any time two incredibly strong fighters fight; the fight either goes nowhere over like a day or two, or takes 5+ days (Jinbei / Ace, Aokiji / Akainu). How is Luffy & Co. going to defeat two yonko? Even if he defeats them I feel like based on the timelines of fights in OP it will be a week before he wins. I think Katakuri took Luffy close to 12 hours to defeat? Cracker too?

What I'm getting at is that Luffy defeating Big Mom and Kaido would take like a month based on how Oda does these Yonko / Admiral level fights. Lol.
Nice point! For me, its just dumb this "oh, he fought for half a day", doesnt make sense and its a real shot in the foot, because this fucks up the entire timeline if he keep with this. For me, the only fight that he should do this was the fight against Cracker, since it was a "stamina" fight with Cracker only defending himself due to his DF abilities. The Aokiji vs Akainu fight shouldnt last for 10 days, because this would lead to the consequence that you said: how much time it will take this battle? Theres a lot of things happening at the "same time", idk if extending this fights its a good thing, because for us, readers, doesnt make difference, it just get harder to fill the timeline correctly

Mighty Action X

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Nice point! For me, its just dumb this "oh, he fought for half a day", doesnt make sense and its a real shot in the foot, because this fucks up the entire timeline if he keep with this. For me, the only fight that he should do this was the fight against Cracker, since it was a "stamina" fight with Cracker only defending himself due to his DF abilities. The Aokiji vs Akainu fight shouldnt last for 10 days, because this would lead to the consequence that you said: how much time it will take this battle? Theres a lot of things happening at the "same time", idk if extending this fights its a good thing, because for us, readers, doesnt make difference, it just get harder to fill the timeline correctly
I think the length of the fight is based on the fighting styles of those that are involved. For the other fights like those of Jinbei and Ace or Akainu and Aokiji, the reason for that is that they are well balanced fighters which rely to both defense and offense. But for those like Luffy and Katakuri, or even Doflamingo, their fighting styles are focused more on offense. So their fights will all end quicker whether they win or lose.

Rmstorm

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Phantom Lord
All it means is that their attacks don't have a lot of power, unlike Garp, Luffy and Whitebeard, people who only need a one or few powerful hits to put an enemy down.

You saw how Garp one shot Marco through his regen giving him lasting damage( as seen at Ace burial) and Whitebeard who took out Admiral Akainu in only 2 hits. Dressrossa Luffy in Gear 4 Boundman only needed a few hits to take out high tiers.

There is reason Oda has Luffy be half dead before he fights the main antagonist, to balance out his extreme offense and crazy endurance + will power.